Fake jewelry-would you be upset

happily single

Left foot first!
If your partner gave you a knock-off piece of jewelry as a gift would you be upset?

This gift was not asked for and was never discussed.

If your partner gave you a knock-off piece of jewelry as a gift would you be upset?

This gift was not asked for and was never discussed.
What are we talking about here?
Something cute and fun? No problem, I'd enjoy it.
But like an engagement ring with no up front details about the not as it appears metal or stone? Not cool.

Last edited:
If they tried to pass it off as 'real' probably.
If not, and it was given in love, probably not.
I lean in this direction also. For example, I have always liked the Cartier Love Bracelet, but it is expensive. There are knock offs that have a similar look, some in gold, some in silver, some in base metals with plating. I would assume my SO would know that I can’t wear plated jewelry (something in my body reacts with the base metal and causes the plating to come off).

That being said, if they gave me a solid silver or gold knock off version, admitting that they knew I liked the real thing but it was beyond their means, I would accept it gladly. If they tried to pass it off in a used Cartier box, my feelings would be hurt and I would be angry.

It depends on the circumstances and the intent, and each time it may be different.

A Cartier Love Braclet.
A genuine bracelet would have the Cartier hallmark stamped in the metal, but there are a lot of good quality knockoffs which I would almost rather wear in public in case something happened. But I have seen some bad knockoffs as well. I still would base my feelings on how it was presented. It is also possible they didn’t know it was a knockoff. People get taken in every day by counterfeit goods.

I agree some context of how it was presented (i.e. real vs knock-off) would also matter. Has this person often given you expensive gifts previously and/or is it even something they could typically afford? How did you determine it wasn't the real thing? If you are in some sort of long-term relationship (which the term 'partner' would tend to imply), then likely you are aware of the financial means of each other and already have a sense of what you both would/would not be able to spend on expensive gifts.

I would hope they would say something before they screwed the knock off bracelet on.
My only scruple about the way the bracelet fastens is that after years of losing screws from my eyeglasses, I would be concerned that it would fall out and the bracelet fall off. I would be sick if that happened with a real Love Bracelet, but some of the knockoffs have different fasteners.

You don’t need a special screwdriver to remove the bracelet, but you might scratch the bracelet using a regular one.

I may be the first guy on this thread, no way I'd misrepresent a knock-off as the real thing. But if I knew DW wanted something that was going to be out of our league and it was a good knock-off, I might buy it for her.

My only scruple about the way the bracelet fastens is that after years of losing screws from my eyeglasses, I would be concerned that it would fall out and the bracelet fall off. I would be sick if that happened with a real Love Bracelet, but some of the knockoffs have different fasteners.

You don’t need a special screwdriver to remove the bracelet, but you might scratch the bracelet using a regular one.
The newer ones aren’t having that issue. Supposedly won’t but time will tell. My wife wears several, the biggest problem is at airport screening, they just pull you off to the side and use a wand.

Just the opposite for me, actually. Not my DH or anybody who knows me well would ever consider buying me expensive "real" jewelry - it would have zero value to me. I'd be a little upset at having to fake an appropriate amount of appreciation and disappointed that the money couldn't have been spent on something I truly would enjoy.

:scratchin OP mentions this was a random gift and not something she particularly wanted. I wonder what motivated the giver to choose it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter