• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Falmouth Jamaica Port Area

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
I didn't sign up for an excursion, just walked around the little port area. Nice to get off the ship and see what's there. Lots of tourist shops. Mostly selling the same things. A small craft area. If you buy a rum cake, please note it is VERY small. A little bigger than a cupcake when you get through all the wrappings. Some shops sell postcards - one even offered postage stamps. They run about $1 each. Seemed high but the postcards on the Fantasy were $2.50 each.

In a Youtube video I swear I saw a Starbucks but did NOT see one when we stopped on Dec. 9, 2022. I DID find this lovely 'coffee' truck run by the deaf community in Jamaica. Coffee was great and they were the sweetest guys. you just point to what you want on a laminated card. One of them did speak so if you run into any communication issues - but I had a great conversation just by pointing - to my messy hair from the wind and saying I wanted the LARGE size. If you want a good coffee - give them a try! They have something like a frappucino - called a Frappe.

Falmouth Coffee.jpg

Falmouth coffee 2.jpg

Falmouth coffee 3.jpg

AND people told me to have a Jamaican "patty" which was spiced (not hot) beef inside a golden crust. It was $3 and very good! There are picnic tables around, quite a few behind it.

Falmouth Patty.jpg

At the far end of the port area were buses and small vans to take you where you wanted to go. Prices were posted on a big board.

The coffee truck is new since we were there in 2019, hope they are there next time we go.
We always stay in the port when we go to Falmouth - we have been there 8 times I think, and only once did we do an excursion for half a day. ;We have become friends with a couple of the local jewelers and spend the day catching up with them and doing a little shopping.

and for those unfamiliar, DO NOT WALK outside the gated area on your own to go explore... it is just not safe (and not I'm not talking just about services being offered but about aggression if you decline them, offering cannabis but also witnessing violence amongst Jamaicans)
This is something we have been told by multiple cast members we know on the ship. They say there is nothing outside the gate you need that bad to take the chance.

Back in 2020 we were on an NCL cruise and Falmouth was one of the stops. A cast member from the Fantasy we know was on leave and lives in the area. He was going to try to meet us to take us on a tour of the area and this was the only way we would go past the gate.
Unfortunately we were unable to meet up with him and never got to see past the gate.

Sadly, things in Jamaica are not going well and the US State Department has issued a travel advisory. I DO want to say that inside the gates of the port I felt very safe and there was gentle police presence. Not sure I would go on a tour or to a resort or if DCL will pull out of Falmouth BUT the little gated Falmouth Port seemed very safe to me. The first State of Emergency issued by Jamaica was November 15th and I was there on December 7th.

Jamaica reimposes 'state of emergency,' tourism industry threatened by high crime rate

"The U.S. State Department on Oct. 5 issued a level 3 travel advisory, indicating that Americans should "reconsider travel" due to an increased risk of crime in the country. The advisory noted that "violent crimes, such as home invasions, armed robberies, sexual assaults and homicides, are common" and that "sexual assaults occur frequently," even at all-inclusive resorts."

Sadly, things in Jamaica are not going well and the US State Department has issued a travel advisory. I DO want to say that inside the gates of the port I felt very safe and there was gentle police presence. Not sure I would go on a tour or to a resort or if DCL will pull out of Falmouth BUT the little gated Falmouth Port seemed very safe to me. The first State of Emergency issued by Jamaica was November 15th and I was there on December 7th.

Jamaica reimposes 'state of emergency,' tourism industry threatened by high crime rate

"The U.S. State Department on Oct. 5 issued a level 3 travel advisory, indicating that Americans should "reconsider travel" due to an increased risk of crime in the country. The advisory noted that "violent crimes, such as home invasions, armed robberies, sexual assaults and homicides, are common" and that "sexual assaults occur frequently," even at all-inclusive resorts."
We have traveled to Jamaica during a state of emergency a few years back and didn't think twice about walking around the port. And if you go on a Disney excursion I wouldn't be too worried, but you need to do what you are comfortable with.

I sailed the Fantasy to Jamaica in March of this year. The gated port area is like an outdoor shopping mall and felt completely safe. In fact, it's the nicest immediate port area I've been to on a Caribbean/Bahamian cruise, with the obvious exception of Castaway Cay. I went on a DCL-booked excursion into the island, and also felt safe on the excursion.

I would never explore the island on my own or when not with Jamaican guides, because of all of the warnings, which I take seriously. I didn't see anything that looked dangerous or ominous, though. It was just another impoverished Caribbean island like all the others. I wouldn't walk independently through any of them, because of the huge and obvious economic disparity between an American tourist and a Caribbean island resident who might be down on his luck. The risk is too great imo.

Last edited:
This makes me very sad. I cruised multiple times to Jamaica as a child and pre-teen (on a different cruise line), and it was always my favorite island. I was so excited to show this special place to my husband and daughters, but now I'm reluctant to even leave the port on an excursion. (Not too worried for us adults, but I get a lot of anxiety about the kids.) I think they would all enjoy Dunn's River Falls, but I don't love the idea of traveling more than an hour each way to do it, especially in light of the State Department warning. I'm very torn about what to do.

We can't decide what to do at this stop. Originally we were planning on going to Margaritaville for lunch and pool time, but it is now permanently closed. We're not sure if we should do the Exclusive and Fun Beach Break or stay on the ship to stay safe and away from anyone harassing us. The beach doesn't look all that great or worth $300 for the 4 of us, but it feels a shame to miss a port. Shopping at the cruise port doesn't feel exciting. I don't really care for souvenirs/shopping. I can't decide what to do.

We can't decide what to do at this stop. Originally we were planning on going to Margaritaville for lunch and pool time, but it is now permanently closed. We're not sure if we should do the Exclusive and Fun Beach Break or stay on the ship to stay safe and away from anyone harassing us. The beach doesn't look all that great or worth $300 for the 4 of us, but it feels a shame to miss a port. Shopping at the cruise port doesn't feel exciting. I don't really care for souvenirs/shopping. I can't decide what to do.
We stayed in port a few years back and regretted it. It was fine, but once you browse a few shops, there is nothing else. Some of our family did the plantation tour and liked it. Everyone must decide what their comfort level is, but I wish we had seen a little of the island on an excursion. Even with the advisory, I would take a DCL arranged excursion. I think they keep you away from the most risky areas.

I really wish we would port at a different island. During one of our Jamaica stops one of our group cruisers had his wallet taken our of his back pocket while in the shopping area. While this little port shopping area seems safe, you should still keep your guard up. We don’t get off here anymore.

I really wish we would port at a different island. During one of our Jamaica stops one of our group cruisers had his wallet taken our of his back pocket while in the shopping area. While this little port shopping area seems safe, you should still keep your guard up. We don’t get off here anymore.
That can and does happen in safer cities around the world too. Money should always be in a money belt or other safe place when traveling, with only a small amount out for spending. Putting in a back pocket is begging for it to be stolen.

I'm not saying I disagree with a change, just that this happens everywhere. What alternative stop would be better? Just curious what other options there are that would work.

We were in Jamaica just before Christmas - we did both the Dunn Falls and Bobsled. We were aware of the updated US State Department warning - but during our entire stay on the island, at no point did we ever feel threatened or in danger. We also felt very safe in the shops around the dock - other than the shopkeepers, everyone else were cruise ship passengers. They had a live band in the main courtyard.

I would say that probably the most "dangerous" time on our trip was the bus ride to and from Dunn Falls - there was a lot of traffic:-)

While many, many tourists have safely gone to Jamaica over the years, these are current advisories for travel. You may do well to heed them. You may need to just put that port on your to-do list for the future. Treat it like a day in Nassau, as many of us do, and enjoy the ship.
I have zero issues with the port of Falmouth. I stay in the secure port area and don't go past the gate. I have made friends within the port we have gone so much and I want to spend the day shopping and visiting my friends

Excursions don't so much keep you away from troubled areas as they provide for safety in numbers.

I wouldn't suggest flying solo in Falmouth.

We did this back in 2018. The drinks were overpriced sugar water and the pool was crowded. We left after about an hour.

We walked around the port area a bit. Got some Dairy Queen because at the time, the Machines couldn't keep up with a full ship and I wanted a properly frozen Ice Cream cone. Got a Jamaican Patty which was delicious. All of this can be done in the port area without leaving which is the best choice. You could spend time exploring the shops and stalls and it would probably be about 2 hours.

There was a little tram tour that left from inside the port area that took you to a church and to see the city and one of their beaches. It was about 10 - 20 bucks per person and we thought it was a great deal. We had some people try and sell you things there and there but they weren't too bad since you were with a guide. I would recommend that if you want something easy. Haven't confirmed that they still do this after Covid so you may want to check. It was about an hour and a half total.

One of the things that no one has mentioned here is that Falmouth is far away from a majority of the large tourist attractions. (Dunn's river falls, etc). Ocho Rios is a much more popular port because its closer to the major attractions on the island. I didn't want to ride in a bus or taxi or whatever for an hour and a half each way to do whatever excursion. We decided to stay by the port and still had a wonderful time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter