Fam of 7 so got 2 rooms & got delux for 4people in 1of the rooms &none for other. Can’t remember why

Bmh4796

Mouseketeer
:worried::worried::thanks:I seriously cannot remember the thinking behind my doing this. But I remember there was a good reason/strategy. I know I sound crazy, but I can’t remember how this benefits us. I did so much research on the plans last year and came to the conclusion that the dining deluxe plan for 4 people in one room and no plan for the other 3 people in the other room was was the smartest thing for our family. I want to know mt “strategy” before we arrive. Can Any Disney vets tell me why I did this? Lol

Our situation:
We are a family of 7. (5 kids)
Husband
Me
17yr old
16yr old
10yr old
7yr old
3yr old

I put my husband, the 16yr old, the 7yr old, & the 3 year old in one room and got them all the deluxe dining plan. I put me, the 17 yr old, and the 10yr old in one room and did not get us any dining plans at all.

How is this going to work for us? I’m assuming we can all use credits from the 4 plans? I hope!

I put my husband, the 16yr old, the 7yr old, & the 3 year old in one room and got them all the deluxe dining plan. I put me, the 17 yr old, and the 10yr old in one room and did not get us any dining plans at all.

How is this going to work for us? I’m assuming we can all use credits from the 4 plans? I hope!

With 4 people on the plan, you have 12 credits per night to use on the family along with 8 snacks. This has been a very good strategy in the past to be able to feed a larger family with less money. When you eat at an a la carte place, you'll get 4 apps, 4 entrees, 4 desserts and 4 drinks and they can all be adult meals even though you have 2 kids on the plan. So you should be able to feed all of you with 4-5 meals at these places. At any buffet, you'll be charged for all of you, so you'll need 7 credits for any of those.

There were some reports early in Jan that Disney was no longer going to allow this and you would only be able to pay for the number of meals that you had credits for. However, those reports have died down considerably, and most are now reporting having no problem at all.

We've got a similar situation - Family of five, three adult kiddos (jumbo shrimp?)...two rooms at POP. Room of two got the deluxe plan and the room with three is on the quick service plan. We booked on a free dining bounce back deal so quick service was included in both rooms but we chose to upgrade the two person room. The quick service room gets us six QS meals, 3 mugs and six snacks per night while the upgraded two person room gets us 6 TS meals (with appetizer and dessert), 2 mugs and four snacks per night. Our trip spans nine nights and my calculations have us eating two signature meals (10 credits) and seven single credit table service meals (35 credits) leaving us just one ts credit shy to cover out of pocket and/or negotiate a share (ha)....plus plenty of quick service credits and a plethora of snacks! We think we're going to have a really good time! (thank goodness there's walking involved...)

OP, How many nights are you there and how many credits do you need? Maybe you figured it out that way and forgot. For example, on our next 4 night stay, I have 2 people in a room with the deluxe plan and 4 in another room with a qs plan. That gives us 24 TS credits to use for 6 people so 4 TS meals for our group.

:worried::worried::thanks:I seriously cannot remember the thinking behind my doing this. But I remember there was a good reason/strategy. I know I sound crazy, but I can’t remember how this benefits us. I did so much research on the plans last year and came to the conclusion that the dining deluxe plan for 4 people in one room and no plan for the other 3 people in the other room was was the smartest thing for our family. I want to know mt “strategy” before we arrive. Can Any Disney vets tell me why I did this? Lol

Our situation:
We are a family of 7. (5 kids)
Husband
Me
17yr old
16yr old
10yr old
7yr old
3yr old

How is this going to work for

That should give you 12 dining plan credits to use per night (table service ...with the deluxe plan extras ....or quick service) which should cover 7 folks just fine.

OP, How many nights are you there and how many credits do you need? Maybe you figured it out that way and forgot. For example, on our next 4 night stay, I have 2 people in a room with the deluxe plan and 4 in another room with a qs plan. That gives us 24 TS credits to use for 6 people so 4 TS meals for our group.
We have park hoppers for 5 days so deluxe dining plans for 5 days.

There’s no difference between children credits and Adult credits with the deluxe plan, right? And no difference between Counter service credits and table service credits either, right? & the signature restaurants require 2 credits per person as always. What about at be our guest for lunch? It’s considered counter service , so we won’t need 2 credits per person then, correct?

I think I may have booked a table service lunch at jungle canteen in magic kingdom and for dinner that day Flying fish, which is 2 credits. So will i need to change flying fish to a non signature?

I’m confused. I will need to make a chart so that i better understand how each day will go down. Lol

We have park hoppers for 5 days so deluxe dining plans for 5 days.

There’s no difference between children credits and Adult credits with the deluxe plan, right? And no difference between Counter service credits and table service credits either, right? & the signature restaurants require 2 credits per person as always. What about at be our guest for lunch? It’s considered counter service , so we won’t need 2 credits per person then, correct?

I think I may have booked a table service lunch at jungle canteen in magic kingdom and for dinner that day Flying fish, which is 2 credits. So will i need to change flying fish to a non signature?

I’m confused. I will need to make a chart so that i better understand how each day will go down. Lol

Right, no difference between adult and child credits and no difference between counter or table service credits (might be opportunities along the way to share and save a credit here and there so don’t give up on that signature just yet!)...and we really like Skippers Canteen (just throwing that out there). Also, since you get appetizers with deluxe, that appetizer might be a perfectly sized meal for a 3 year old that wouldn’t ruffle the feathers of the generous family member passing it along (and enjoying the entree).

That should give you 12 dining plan credits to use per night (table service ...with the deluxe plan extras ....or quick service) which should cover 7 folks just fine.
I think i remember now. We have 12 per day and we usually only eat 2 meals per day - a snack for breakfast, then lunch at a either a counter or table service and dinner at either a counter or table service. Sk i figured we’d use snack credits for breakfast or just eat a granola bar and then 6 credits at lunch and 6 credits at dinner and someone shares with the baby and we pay out of pocket for his drink. On the day we do have breakfast at the wave booked, we use 7 credits there and then will get snacks for lunch and then 5 credits at dinner and pay out of pocket for our 7 year old for dinner but still all share with our 3 year old.

Does that all sound about right?

I mainly need to make sure that I don’t have 2 signatures booked in one day, correct? Because all 12 credits for the day will be used at one signature meal. Wherever we eat our other meal (likely a counter service, we will have to pay out if pocket, right - since 12 credits will be used at the signature restaurant)

Right, no difference between adult and child credits and no difference between counter or table service credits (might be opportunities along the way to share and save a credit here and there so don’t give up on that signature just yet!)...and we really like Skippers Canteen (just throwing that out there). Also, since you get appetizers with deluxe, that appetizer might be a perfectly sized meal for a 3 year old that wouldn’t
ruffle the feathers of the generous family member passing it along (and enjoying the entree).
Oh yes! Good point. My 2 daughters and I can’t fit appetizers and full meals in our bellies so a cup of soup etc can be given to the 3 year old as well as our 7 year old - if we want to just give him an appetizer rather than a full meal (and share some of our full meals).

I think i remember now. We have 12 per day and we usually only eat 2 meals per day - a snack for breakfast, then lunch at a either a counter or table service and dinner at either a counter or table service. Sk i figured we’d use snack credits for breakfast or just eat a granola bar and then 6 credits at lunch and 6 credits at dinner and someone shares with the baby and we pay out of pocket for his drink. On the day we do have breakfast at the wave booked, we use 7 credits there and then will get snacks for lunch and then 5 credits at dinner and pay out of pocket for our 7 year old for dinner but still all share with our 3 year old.

I mainly need to make sure that I don’t have 2 signatures booked in one day, correct? Because all 12 credits for the day will be used at one signature meal. Wherever we eat our other meal (likely a counter service, we will have to pay out if pocket, right - since 12 credits will be used at the signature restaurant)
Pretty sure you wouldn’t have to use 7 credits (unless it’s a buffet or Via Napoli - which is its own thing - where everyone has to pay) at any meal where your youngest (or anyone not feeling especially hungry) can share with another in your party. For example, you can sit down and order four or five meals at Skippers with appetizers, entrees and desserts to be shared amongst the seven of you, and only use up four or five credits. At Crystal Palace you’d be all in for the seven credits. And paying out of pocket for the smaller appetites is always a good plan if they don’t want to share or would rather have a kids menu item. Also, BOG lunch is a counter service credit, yes.

All your credits are assigned at once, not nightly
Credits are per night stay
You can always pay oop for anyone at any meal
Someone from the room w the plan has to use their band to pay
Cs use is a really bad use of credit

OP, your park hoppers have nothing to do with the dining plan. It is the number of hotel nights. You do not have to use 12 credits per day. Once you " check in" all of your credits will be available to use whenever you want. You could use them all on your first day, you could use none some days, whatever you want. Just remember all snacks and credits expire on midnight of your check out day.

Last edited:

You have 12 credits per night, so when you calculate the total number of credits you have for the trip, use the number of NIGHTS not days. You can use them as you please, so when you book meals, I woudl look at TS meals for the family. There are soem noce character meals in the parks the kids might like, so a mid mornign breakfast or early lunch at a buffet or in park restaurant, and then a nice TS meal for dinner, supplemented with snacks in between should keep you all fed well. At TS meals, with the exception of buffet and AYCTE meals, your family can share the appetizers and meals, so no need to use a credit for the 3 YO unless he is really hungry.

I really would not use a credit on a CS meal unless you are invested in that restaurant. It is not the best use of DDP credits.

OP, your park hoppers have nothing to do with the dining plan. It is the number of hotel nights. You do not have to use 12 credits per day. Once you " check in" all of your credits will be available to use whenever you want. You could use them all on your first day, you could use none some days, whatever you want. Just remember all snacks and credits expire on midnight of your check out day.
Ohhhhhh. I thought it was the number of days you had tickets to the park. We will check in Saturday night and check out Friday morning (no park passes on Saturday and Friday). So we are spending 6 nights in the contemporary so we will have 72 meal credits rather than 60? Great!

I really would not use a credit on a CS meal unless you are invested in that restaurant. It is not the best use of DDP credits.

Ok so here’s what I’ve got:
Saturday night we arrive at the contemporary around 10pm so nothing for Saturday

Sunday:
Lunch at be our guest
Dinner at the wave

Monday:
930 breakfast at the wave
Nothing for lunch (we will be at Hollywood studios so i figured snacks or counter service?)
Dinner reservations st spice road then watch illuminations

Tuesday:
Lunch Reservations at skippers canteen
Dinner reservations at citricos

Wednesday:
Will be in epcot so i figured there’s good counter service options there for lunch
(I’d like to try the French sandwich place- can’t remember name)
Early dinner reservations at la hacienda as well as Late dinner reservations at flying fish (we will choose which we go to the night before)

Thursday:
Lunch reservations at tiffins with the river of lights return passes
Dinner i figured we’d try the new rice bowl place in Animal kingdom

Friday:
We don’t fly out until 11pm so i’ll Probably make reservations for lunch at one of the resort restaurants or maybe a boardwalk restaurant because we don’t have park passes on Friday. The contemporary will hold our luggage after checkout until we need to go to the airport, I’m assuming?

If all of you will eat your own meal at all of those places, you don't have near enough credits. The Rivers of Light package is the only one that will charge you for everyone, so you'll use 14 credits there. You may want to rethink that one and either NOT get the package or choose Tusker ROL package which would only be 7 credits.

You need to go look at the menus of all the others to see how many meals you will need to feed the 7 of you. Remember, for all TS places, you get an app, entree, dessert and drink for each person using credits. For QS meals, you only get the entree/combo and drink.

Flying Fish and Citricos are signature, so you will use 2TS credits for each person who orders.

I like Tiffins a lot, however I woudl skip that one and book TH.
Actually, I do nto think you need a dinner package to enjoy ROL, so I woudl skip the package and book a TS meal at Yak and Yeti and share a few meals.

For Epcot day, I would not plan CS. I would book a TS early lunch at one of the WS restaurant. You have an awesome plan, so I woudl utilize it. You can stretch those credits becuase you get appetizers and desserts. I like Rose and Crown for lunch, but there are so many awesome options that will not force you to use a credit for everyone. If you have enough credits, i woudl plan Garden Grill for a late breakfast or early lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter