Family canceling

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
If I book a 2 bedroom lock-off using current use year points, can I keep the 1 bedroom portion and drop the studio side (before 31 days out) if some family members cancel going with us?

There is no guarantee that the 1-bedroom portion would been bookable separately. They only way to know would be to try and modify the reservation online down to a 1-bedroom or call MS and have them check.

If I book a 2 bedroom lock-off using current use year points, can I keep the 1 bedroom portion and drop the studio side (before 31 days out) if some family members cancel going with us?
Maybe...

Since you have a 2BR booked (not a 1BR and a studio), you would have to cancel the 2BR and rebook a 1BR (as @erionm posted), which carries a risk. If there is not a 1BR currently available, there is a risk that the waitlist could grab the one that you cancel before you can rebook it. The CM should be able to check and see if and how many 1BR's are available before you cancel the 2BR, which can help you decide if you want to take that risk.

A number of years ago and for a short period, MS would actually allow you to drop the studio portion and keep the 1BR regardless of separate availability of the 1BR. DVC stopped doing that and returned to the process that you will likely not be able to do the drop of the studio and keep the 1BR unless a 1BR is still separately available.

When is the trip? I did this for a trip in May 2022 which I booked at the 11 month window. I had an AKL 2BR Value, realized within 5-8 months of the trip I wasn't going to need the full 2 BR, and called Member Services. I am pretty sure that while I was on the phone with them, they cancelled the 2BR and rebooked the Value studio for me. I think there is a risk that the room will be sniped by someone else trying to book, and as other posters say, there is no guarantee of it. It's worth a call (and waiting on hold) to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter