Family not excited, looking for recommendations

DH returning to the room works well for my family, but it took some convincing. At first my husband was reluctant to leave us in the park and head back to the resort. I remember clearly standing at Splash Mtn while our kids were riding. He told me that he wanted to head out but felt bad about it. I reminded him that this vacation is for all of us and that his happiness and comfort are important to all of us. He continued to hesitate until finally I said something to the effect of him killing my park mojo. We both laughed and he went on back to the resort. After that, no problem. Our family park policy was established. When he's "done", he heads out. No guilt, no feeling bad. Knowing that he can leave whenever he wants makes the park time he spends with us way better - he has way more fun.
Thank you.

Question related to this. With the salute and military discounted tickets - my dh is a disabled vet who has good days and bad days pain wise. If we buy for example 5 day military tickets for everyone, and he has a resort day at the pool relaxing (happy as a clam) while me and the kiddos head to the parks using our tickets, what happens to his unused tickets?

Thank you. I asked about somewhere else and he’d rather stay at Disney. He sort of feels it’s a safer environment but he is interested in Ft Wilderness. He likes hiking and outdoors stuff.

Does anyone know if it’s hard to do stuff like archery, canoes, fishing boats, horseback riding spur of the moment? I checked and carriage ride availability last minute is pretty low but maybe that’s different. A couple of days at Ft Wildnerness could be a nice break from the parks doing stuff he enjoys. And I could still take the 14 year old to a park at night if he wants.
I really like this idea! You're doing a great job considering all of the elements - good work

Not military but can speak to PTSD and Fort Wilderness - changed our entire outlook on going to WDW. Obviously you all won't be staying there since it sounds like you got an awesome suite at SOG but you could spend plenty of time at the Fort. Canoes/Kayaks/pony rides/wagon rides/pole fishing cannot be booked in advance so all of that is easy to do spur of the moment. Often there are archery spots open last minute as well, but horseback riding needs to be booked at least 24 hours in advance, I believe.

You can also watch the MK Fireworks and Electrical water pageant from the beach at Fort Wilderness - we just don't do them in the park at all anymore (unless we happen to see them from a ride queue).

We also don't make arrival day or departure day plans (we honestly don't even make day-before-departure day plans anymore) and we always try to include one day with zero plans. We have some great memories from doing this (including doing a walk up at Beaches and Cream on one of those days, a place we hadn't been able to get reservations for before).

Now that they have the 2 hour cancelation policy for dining you can be so much more flexible on both making reservations AND picking up last minute ones.

Wanted to add, though, that Galaxy's Edge is just nuts most of the day, especially the marketplace. On our last visit (less than a month ago) we went we did a mobile order for a ronto wrap and a bottle of water at Docking Bay 7 for pick up the last five minute window of the day, and we were able to sit and enjoy a nearly-empty Docking Bay 7 for about half an hour afterwards, then have a leisurely stroll through Batuu while we waited for our Oga's Reservation (which was for 55 minutes after park closing- cannot recommend that enough if you decide to do Oga's). It meant when we got out it was an even more relaxing stroll through an empty Batuu and to a nearly empty parking lot for the evening.

There is so much to do and see at WDW without it being in the parks.

And you all mentioned the beach in the future - with a 10 day trip you could absolutely fit a day trip to the beach in there - Cocoa is the closest but Canaveral National Seashore is not much further and is so quiet and relaxing, especially in February! (Edit: Actually I just looked it up and it is almost exact same distance away - don't know why more people don't go there but certainly not mad about it!)

Question related to this. With the salute and military discounted tickets - my dh is a disabled vet who has good days and bad days pain wise. If we buy for example 5 day military tickets for everyone, and he has a resort day at the pool relaxing (happy as a clam) while me and the kiddos head to the parks using our tickets, what happens to his unused tickets?
Edit: please see the post 2 below this for the correct answer. Sorry!

If you’re going to book Shades of Green, do it as early as possible because they do fill up. If you can’t go there (or don’t want to) you can try for the military discount at the Disney hotels. If he qualifies for salute tickets, he likely qualifies for that as well.

Last edited:
Not military but can speak to PTSD and Fort Wilderness - changed our entire outlook on going to WDW. Obviously you all won't be staying there since it sounds like you got an awesome suite at SOG but you could spend plenty of time at the Fort. Canoes/Kayaks/pony rides/wagon rides/pole fishing cannot be booked in advance so all of that is easy to do spur of the moment. Often there are archery spots open last minute as well, but horseback riding needs to be booked at least 24 hours in advance, I believe.

You can also watch the MK Fireworks and Electrical water pageant from the beach at Fort Wilderness - we just don't do them in the park at all anymore (unless we happen to see them from a ride queue).

We also don't make arrival day or departure day plans (we honestly don't even make day-before-departure day plans anymore) and we always try to include one day with zero plans. We have some great memories from doing this (including doing a walk up at Beaches and Cream on one of those days, a place we hadn't been able to get reservations for before).

Now that they have the 2 hour cancelation policy for dining you can be so much more flexible on both making reservations AND picking up last minute ones.

Wanted to add, though, that Galaxy's Edge is just nuts most of the day, especially the marketplace. On our last visit (less than a month ago) we went we did a mobile order for a ronto wrap and a bottle of water at Docking Bay 7 for pick up the last five minute window of the day, and we were able to sit and enjoy a nearly-empty Docking Bay 7 for about half an hour afterwards, then have a leisurely stroll through Batuu while we waited for our Oga's Reservation (which was for 55 minutes after park closing- cannot recommend that enough if you decide to do Oga's). It meant when we got out it was an even more relaxing stroll through an empty Batuu and to a nearly empty parking lot for the evening.

There is so much to do and see at WDW without it being in the parks.

And you all mentioned the beach in the future - with a 10 day trip you could absolutely fit a day trip to the beach in there - Cocoa is the closest but Canaveral National Seashore is not much further and is so quiet and relaxing, especially in February! (Edit: Actually I just looked it up and it is almost exact same distance away - don't know why more people don't go there but certainly not mad about it!)
Thank you for the great suggestions and info on last minute stuff at Ft Wilderness.

Unlike regular tickets, the days aren't lost at the end of 10 days or whatever the timeframe is. Any unused days on a Salute ticket are good until the mid-December date when the promotion ends (we often split tickets and make two trips out of them). At least, this is how it worked in the past. I did not do this last year but last did it in 2021.

Just a thought, if you think your DH is likely to want that rest day, maybe consider buying him a 4-day ticket and a 5-day for everyone else? I think as long as there is at least one valid day left before tapping in at the gate on the final day, you can still upgrade to a 5-day ticket if he wants the extra park day - I've gone from a 4-day to a 5-day but I think we upgraded before using any days. I did it right at Shades of Green since I purchased from them. If purchased from MWR, I think(?) you can maybe do this at the gate? Maybe someone who has done this can confirm :)

We are going to Disney World next February.

Kids will be 6 (just turned 6 then), 12, and 14.
Husband is a combat vet and does not enjoy Disney. We have been once, 7 years ago.

The youngest is super excited. She wants a BBB makeover, to meet some princesses and other characters, eat at CRT, and hopefully go to a tea party if that’s back. I think I can meet those expectations.

12 yo wants to lounge around the hotel most of the time. She wants to shop, try different foods, doesn’t want thrill rides (but loved them age 5). She wants to eat at BoG. Zero interest in characters. I’m thinking Disney Springs and World Showcase could be really fun for her. Maybe a spa day at the hotel. Pretty much everything I suggest, she says no to.

14 yo wants thrill rides. He’s relatively easy going but will be bored with some stuff. He’s also interested in “any restaurant” and wants to try all food. He is interested in World Showcase and maybe Disney Springs. I’m thinking maybe after hours events for him. If the Day of Thrills Tour is back, maybe that. Also water parks. He’s excited about Galaxy’s Edge. We are going to do some Batuu bounding and also build sabers and droids.

Husband liked the firework cruise we did (pontoon boat at Epcot). That makes sense since he doesn’t love crowds. He also remembers liking Rainforest Cafe for the theming with the kids. He took our middle child to Aurora’s tea party and enjoyed that. Unrushed, uncrowded stuff appeals to him generally. His biggest complaint is “it was too planned out, felt like we were always rushing”. He wants to wake up, decide which park, and just do what we want in the moment. He despised trying to rope drop (despite being an up at 4 or 5am kind of guy). He wants one day off for every two in a park. Husband and 12 yo are sort of on the same page. They’d like to wander for a few hours, snack, ride whatever grabs their interest, then go back to the hotel within a few hours.

So I’m trying to do at least a couple of days without much planned. Animal Kingdom might go okay. World Showcase. Disney Springs. He wants me to do no planning but I know that will mean no fun restaurants, no BBB, and long lines for rides.

Any advice? I think we might have to split up a fair amount of the time to make everyone happy. Any suggestions for the two who just want to browse and take in the area? It’s sort of a hot mess of a schedule trying to accommodate everyone. Most likely there for 10 days. Trying to nail that down if I can come up with some sort of tentative schedule.

I do think I’m just going to accept that husband and older daughter might do a few things then leave for the hotel (perhaps with the youngest). Maybe try to do what my son wants with after hours or stacked evening rides.
I've been reading this thread and think there are lots of great ideas! One thing I was wondering about. Is the timeframe you're planning in February during President's week?

If so, I recommend you take a look at the last few pages on the Here now and just back thread to see what everyone is currently saying about crowds. President's week is a very busy week (we had an easier time navigating MK on Christmas Eve 2019 for a 1-day visit than the parks during President's week in 2018.) It's busier than many expect.

This way, if dates are flexible, you might want to consider alternate times, or at least be prepared for what to expect in terms of crowds so you can maybe try to zig when everyone else zags to make it easier on everyone.

(If it's a different week, then please disregard :).)

I've been reading this thread and think there are lots of great ideas! One thing I was wondering about. Is the timeframe you're planning in February during President's week?

If so, I recommend you take a look at the last few pages on the Here now and just back thread to see what everyone is currently saying about crowds. President's week is a very busy week (we had an easier time navigating MK on Christmas Eve 2019 for a 1-day visit than the parks during President's week in 2018.) It's busier than many expect.

This way, if dates are flexible, you might want to consider alternate times, or at least be prepared for what to expect in terms of crowds so you can maybe try to zig when everyone else zags to make it easier on everyone.

(If it's a different week, then please disregard :).)
Thank you. It will run into that week. I know it’s going to be crowded :( we did go at unfortunate time when Easter and Spring break crowds overlapped before but I realize it will likely br worse than that. He won’t do summer or let the kids miss more than a day or two of school. Easter break is out due to a sports obligation. So that leaves Christmas and Presidents week. Neither good for crowds :(

Going to try to plan some fun stuff away from the parks Sat-Mon that busy weekend. Maybe yea party if that’s back, Ft Wilderness day, thinking maybe AKL to see the animals and have a great meal.

Also thanks for the correct info on salute tickets.

Two more thoughts:

1. Are you planning on renting a car? I would highly recommend it. It will be a lot easier to come and go (and pop in and out of parks) if you have your own transportation.

2. If you are going around President's Day, also be aware of the Princess half marathon (which is actually taking place this weekend). For the Sunday race, the route goes through the Shades of Green/Grand Floridian/Poly area and may impact traffic.

Edit: please see the post 2 below this for the correct answer. Sorry!

If you’re going to book Shades of Green, do it as early as possible because they do fill up. If you can’t go there (or don’t want to) you can try for the military discount at the Disney hotels. If he qualifies for salute tickets, he likely qualifies for that as well.
Yes, we stayed at SOG last time and absolutely loved it there.

Unlike regular tickets, the days aren't lost at the end of 10 days or whatever the timeframe is. Any unused days on a Salute ticket are good until the mid-December date when the promotion ends (we often split tickets and make two trips out of them). At least, this is how it worked in the past. I did not do this last year but last did it in 2021.

Just a thought, if you think your DH is likely to want that rest day, maybe consider buying him a 4-day ticket and a 5-day for everyone else? I think as long as there is at least one valid day left before tapping in at the gate on the final day, you can still upgrade to a 5-day ticket if he wants the extra park day - I've gone from a 4-day to a 5-day but I think we upgraded before using any days. I did it right at Shades of Green since I purchased from them. If purchased from MWR, I think(?) you can maybe do this at the gate? Maybe someone who has done this can confirm :)
Yes we are once a year, or once every other year disney goers, so I'm wondering if we don't use that last salute/magic your way ticket on a purchase if it's just money lost or can the value be rolled into another ticket purchase for next year.

Yes we are once a year, or once every other year disney goers, so I'm wondering if we don't use that last salute/magic your way ticket on a purchase if it's just money lost or can the value be rolled into another ticket purchase for next year.
In that scenario, unfortunately, you will lose the day after the December date comes.

Thank you. It will run into that week. I know it’s going to be crowded :( we did go at unfortunate time when Easter and Spring break crowds overlapped before but I realize it will likely br worse than that. He won’t do summer or let the kids miss more than a day or two of school. Easter break is out due to a sports obligation. So that leaves Christmas and Presidents week. Neither good for crowds :(

Going to try to plan some fun stuff away from the parks Sat-Mon that busy weekend. Maybe yea party if that’s back, Ft Wilderness day, thinking maybe AKL to see the animals and have a great meal.

Also thanks for the correct info on salute tickets.
Ah ok, so you already know what you're getting into. I think it's a great idea to try to do something else that first weekend and go to parks during the weekdays which maybe won't be *as* bad.

Splitting up is likely going to make it enjoyable for everyone, as a lot of others have said. My adult DD has a TBI so while she's a Disney fanatic, she has a lot of issues with the parks and crowds. DH has a neck/back injury and can't do any coasters. Splitting up really works for us. Both DD and DH often do later starts in the parks or take breaks while I take my teen on the rides they can't or won't do anyway. DD often leaves parks earlier and goes to do something quiet like resort hop or chill in the room. If you're open to splitting up and everyone is open with their own expectations, I highly recommend :).

The one other thing I keep thinking back to is your 12-year-old. Since she's only been once (do I have that right?) and it was 7 years ago, she may feel totally differently about attractions once she gets into the parks. (I took my nieces for the first time when they were almost 13 and my brother's family aren't Disney fans at all - they didn't even know who the characters were, etc), but they loved, loved the thrill rides. They even loved Rise of the Resistance and were amazed at the attraction, never having ever seen a Star Wars movie.

I hope you have a great trip!! It sounds like you have a lot of ideas in your back pocket to make it fun for everyone :)

Two more thoughts:

1. Are you planning on renting a car? I would highly recommend it. It will be a lot easier to come and go (and pop in and out of parks) if you have your own transportation.

2. If you are going around President's Day, also be aware of the Princess half marathon (which is actually taking place this weekend). For the Sunday race, the route goes through the Shades of Green/Grand Floridian/Poly area and may impact traffic.
Thanks for the warning about the marathon.

I’m debating the car. Last time we did but I thought it made Magic Kingdom more stressful. I do think it would be nice for visiting Ft Wilderness, or him just leaving when he’s done (the rest of us can take the bus). Maybe we will rent but take other transportation to MK. It’s also looking like we might have a late flight out so rental would allow us to store our suitcases while we go to Disney Springs or something.

It sounds like you have a variety of interests and preferences within your family, which can make planning a Disney World vacation challenging. Here are a few suggestions to help accommodate everyone's interests and make the most of your trip:
  1. Consider splitting up for part of the day: If your husband and older daughter want to wander and take their time, consider planning to meet up later in the day for a meal or a show. This will give them the freedom to explore at their own pace without feeling rushed, while still allowing the rest of the family to experience the park's attractions.
  2. Plan a mix of activities: To keep everyone engaged and happy, try to plan a mix of activities that cater to different interests. For example, you could plan a day at a water park for your son, followed by a relaxing day at the spa for your older daughter and husband, while your youngest daughter gets her princess makeover.
  3. Take advantage of FastPass+ and dining reservations: While your husband may not like the idea of a rigid schedule, making FastPass+ reservations and dining reservations in advance can help you avoid long lines and ensure that you get to try the restaurants you're interested in.
  4. Consider an after-hours event: Since your 14-year-old is interested in thrill rides, an after-hours event like the Day of Thrills Tour or an evening at Magic Kingdom's Villains After Hours event might be a great option.
  5. Take breaks and don't overdo it: Disney World can be overwhelming, especially for those who don't enjoy crowds or too much structure. Be sure to take plenty of breaks throughout the day and take advantage of the parks' many quiet areas to relax and recharge. Also, don't try to do too much in one day - it's better to focus on a few key attractions and experiences each day rather than trying to cram everything in.
Overall, try to be flexible and open to new experiences, and don't stress too much about accommodating everyone's interests perfectly. With a little planning and compromise, you can create a memorable and enjoyable trip for the whole family.
Thank you so much. These are great tips. I’m definitely thinking of planning stuff but telling husband and older daughter have fun exploring and we can meet for dinner at CRT or whatever. And oh by the way, there are lightning lanes booked here if you want them. If not, no big deal.

I think as long as there is at least one valid day left before tapping in at the gate on the final day, you can still upgrade to a 5-day ticket if he wants the extra park day - I've gone from a 4-day to a 5-day but I think we upgraded before using any days. I did it right at Shades of Green since I purchased from them. If purchased from MWR, I think(?) you can maybe do this at the gate? Maybe someone who has done this can confirm :)
This is my general understanding with regular park tickets, I can't comment on military ones.

However, my experiences on modifying tickets have been all over the place. While it is supposed to be simple, in practice, some GS visits are quick but others are not. Sometimes GS has no wait, other times the wait has been long, or it just took GS a while to complete the transaction.

Aim to do it at a time that you have some flexibility/not in a hurry. For us, that tends to be when we are leaving a park.

Thanks for the warning about the marathon.

I’m debating the car. Last time we did but I thought it made Magic Kingdom more stressful. I do think it would be nice for visiting Ft Wilderness, or him just leaving when he’s done (the rest of us can take the bus). Maybe we will rent but take other transportation to MK. It’s also looking like we might have a late flight out so rental would allow us to store our suitcases while we go to Disney Springs or something.

You can take a boat from MK to Fort Wilderness, actually; it's very relaxing and one of our favorite "attractions."

But if you rent a car you could do a day trip to the beach...(and there is a lot to be said for being able to leave a park in a car vs Disney transportation during/after a busy day - it can be overwhelming).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter