Family of 5… rent DVC?

lolobug

DIS Veteran
Hi there!
Our family of 5 would like to visit next March 2025. We love Wilderness lodge but it costs $1300/night for five of us. Husband wants to stay at a Deluxe on property or Bonnet Creek. Can I rent a condo? Any advice is wonderful- looking for a deal!

You could rent a DVC Villa, and I think a lot of folks on here would recommend it. The main drawback is the lack of flexibility: unlike with a Disney hotel reservation, you can't really cancel at the last minute, as those points get locked in and would otherwise go to waste.

You may also not find availability in a Studio, depending on the resort, as some room types book up right at the 11-month window. That said, you're planning far enough in advance that your chances are good, even if you may have to be a bit flexible on which resort you end up booking.

There are a handful of resorts with Studios that sleep 5, including:
  • Boulder Ridge Villas (Wilderness Lodge!)
  • Beach Club Villas
  • Boardwalk Villas
  • Polynesian
  • Riviera
  • Grand Floridian
Several of the 1-Bedroom units also sleep five -- but not all! https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/dvc-bedroom-units-sleep-people-ca-snorer-family-need-351003

It varies by resort, but typically a 1BR will cost about twice as many points as a Studio, and a 2BR will cost another 30%-35% more than a 1BR.

Last edited:
You could rent a DVC Villa, and I think a lot of folks on here would recommend it. The main drawback is the lack of flexibility: unlike with a Disney hotel reservation, you can't really cancel at the last minute, as those points get locked in and would otherwise go to waste.

You may also not find availability in a Studio, depending on the resort, as some room types book up right at the 11-month window. That said, you're planning far enough in advance that your chances are good, even if you may have to be a bit flexible on which resort you end up booking.

• Beach Club Villas
  • Boardwalk Villas
  • Polynesian
  • Riviera
  • Grand Floridian
Several of the 1-Bedroom units also sleep five -- but not all! https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/dvc-bedroom-units-sleep-people-ca-snorer-family-need-351003

It varies by resort, but typically a 1BR will cost about twice as many points as a Studio, and a 2BR will cost another 30%-35% more than a 1BR.
Thank you so much!

• Beach Club Villas
  • Boardwalk Villas
  • Polynesian
  • Riviera
  • Grand Floridian

Where do you book DVC rentals?

There’s lots of sites that are known for this like the board sponser https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/ or https://dvcrequest.com/. They’ve been around for a long time so can be trusted. Or if you’re looking for potentially a better deal (but with a bit more risk) and want to take the middle man out of it, you can check out the rental boards here on the DIS or Facebook. There are tons of owners who post rentals with their own stipulations and prices you can filter through and see who you’re comfortable with.

There’s lots of sites that are known for this like the board sponser https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/ or https://dvcrequest.com/. They’ve been around for a long time so can be trusted. Or if you’re looking for potentially a better deal (but with a bit more risk) and want to take the middle man out of it, you can check out the rental boards here on the DIS or Facebook. There are tons of owners who post rentals with their own stipulations and prices you can filter through and see who you’re comfortable with.

^^^ What MerlinandtheMouse said!

Are you able to use the same perks as staying at a DIsney resort? Magical express to and from the airport? 6 months out book ADRs? Thanks!

Are you able to use the same perks as staying at a DIsney resort? Magical express to and from the airport? 6 months out book ADRs? Thanks!
Are you able to use the same perks as staying at a DIsney resort? -Yes...if you rent DVC it IS a Disney Resort so you get the perks
Magical express to and from the airport? -They no longer have the free Magical Express, but MEARs Transportation will bus you to and from the airport and WDW for a fee
6 months out book ADRs? -It will be 60 days for that

Before booking, you are going to want to find a photo of a studio at that resort with all of the beds open. If a studio is going to sleep five, that usually means: queen size bed + Murphy bed pulled down + bed under the TV pulled down (this one is smaller than twin size). There might not be much space to move around. If you have a stroller, wheel chair or scooter in the room, the space might be very tight.

Also - OP mentioned the Magic Express bus service, but it's long gone (not just for DVC, it's gone for people staying at Disney hotels). Most of the other perks are the same as at a Disney hotel, except you never get free dining if you are booking on DVC points. Sometimes you can get the dining plan, but you have to pay for it.

Before booking, you are going to want to find a photo of a studio at that resort with all of the beds open. If a studio is going to sleep five, that usually means: queen size bed + Murphy bed pulled down + bed under the TV pulled down (this one is smaller than twin size). There might not be much space to move around. If you have a stroller, wheel chair or scooter in the room, the space might be very tight.

^ This part, I would not necessarily recommend a Studio for 5 adults. My family of 4 adults with DVC stays in a Studio every year and we can only make it work because 1) my 22YO sister is (barely) small enough to fit on the pull down bed under the TV, and 2) we only stay in Studios that have the the double bathroom situation (Poly, Riviera, and GF come to mind) so two people can take a shower at the same time. It feels like it might be too much for 5 adults sharing a small space like this for a week. If I had my heart set on staying on property, I would go with renting points for at least a 2BR for 5 adults.

Are you able to use the same perks as staying at a DIsney resort? -Yes...if you rent DVC it IS a Disney Resort so you get the perks
. . .
6 months out book ADRs? -It will be 60 days for that
To clarify: it's 60 days for everybody now, that is just a policy change at WDW. So you aren't at a disadvantage as a DVC guest (owner or renter).

For example, you would get entry to Extended Evening Theme Park Hours -- basically Extra Magic Hours that are only open to Deluxe/DVC guests, and typically happen twice per week (once at MK and once at Epcot).

How many sleeping surfaces do you need and how tall are the members of your family? You may wish to go to Bonnet Creek, depending on prices

To be clear, you would not rent from Disney or DVC. You would rent from an individual who has excess points (or who has made a "spec" reservation hoping to rent it). Owners have 11-month home-court advantage at the resort where they own points, 7-month at other DVC resorts. The resorts often book to full or near full so making changes after booking is difficult and some owners do not allow changes or cancellations for any reason - they would lose the points). There is a lot of trust involved on the part of both parties which is one reason "brokers" have evolved.

DVC prohibits owners renting for "commercial" purposes and have indicated that they are going to begin enforcing that policy. No one knows what that means but they discuss a "pattern of activity". The remedy, if this pattern is noted, might be to cancel that owner's reservations. Again, no one seems sure. But using a broker could indicate a pattern.....or not.

I had no problem with 5 adults in a Studio Villa that sleeps 5 - different strokes for different folks. Now with the pull-out sofas being converted into murphy beds it's much better. The studio villas have a kitchenette versus a full kitchen, which was never a problem for me as I was on vacation from stove and DW duties. Whatever. If you are interested in the Lodge you should hop on that as DVC villas seem to rent fast. You might want to try the new Fort Wilderness Cabins cause they have a full kitchen and lots of sleeping space.

DVC prohibits owners renting for "commercial" purposes and have indicated that they are going to begin enforcing that policy. No one knows what that means but they discuss a "pattern of activity". The remedy, if this pattern is noted, might be to cancel that owner's reservations. Again, no one seems sure. But using a broker could indicate a pattern.....or not.
I agree, DVC has started saber rattling about enforcing the no commercial renting rule (as has been done in other timeshare systems) & there’s really no way to predict whether DVC will actually do something about it going forward. But potential renters should at least be aware that the issue is on DVC’s radar & thus there’s some risk that they might act.

You can also rent a DVC room from Disney themselves. We had 5 in our group and when the kids got big enough, we always rented OKW or the Riv through Disney. Best way to save there was buying one Annual pass for either me or my wife and getting the AP rate. However, that is also when me and my wife decided we would also go for a long weekend in the fall without the kids "because we had an AP" LOL. We usually got 35% off the rack at the DVC resorts so it paid for itself the first vacation of the year though. Right now a 1 BR villa at Copper Creek which puts you at the Wilderness Lodge is $1100 a night. If you get the 35% off you are talking saving 385 a night. I would figure a 25% just to be cautious That means you would pay $825. You would save $275 per night so it doesn't take many nights to make up the difference between a 4 day park pass and an AP.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter