• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family of 5 in the EP hotels?

momofmikey

Mommy also to Daniel and Lauren
We have been a strictly Disney family for the last 20 years, but my DD loves Harry Potter so we’ve decided to visit Universal for the first time this May. We’re looking at staying 3 nights, Tuesday-Friday at the end of May. I would like to stay at one of the 3 resorts that offer Express Pass. We are a family of 5, kids are 20, 18 and 12. Are any of the three hotels recommended more for a family of 5? I know we’ll have to get a rollaway bed, and I’ve heard the rooms are on the small size. Just was curious if anyone had suggestions for the best one to book. Thank you!

Strictly going by square feet, Portofino Bay has the largest standard room size of the deluxe hotels
that offer EP. Each hotel also offers a variety of suites that are quite a bit roomier, but they come with a big price tag as well.

Sharing a room with 5 comes down to individual family needs. Some family members really need their personal space, some require separate bedrooms, and some families have no issues with a confined space if only for a couple of nights.

It's a fantastic deal for 5 EPs if you can squeeze together for a few nights!!

We are in a similar situation - though my kids are a bit younger than yours

We aren't going until the nd of Sept but we booked Portofino just due to the extra sq footage. The standard rooms there are 450sqft vs 335sqft at Royal Pacific. Extra cost for our 3 night stay was $160 more total for PB vs RP (obviously pricing is different for different times of years, etc)

We are planning to bring a travel air mattress to avoid paying for a rollaway, but give the age of your kids the rollaway cost is probably worth it

For comparison (since you said you are a Disney family) a standard room at the Poly is 415

This holiday season , I booked a standard room at the Hard Rock and requested a rollaway. My grandson& granddaughter “got” the beds while ...grandma slept on the rollaway... I liked it way better than the sofa couch beds at DVC!
They are the kind I have used at deluxe Hilton’s as they are easy to roll standing up... they have 2 wheels on bottom and handles on top kinda like a movers dolly. When we opened our door , the bed was just outside the door , so Ijust rolled it all the way in to the window wall /corner... Giving me plenty of room to get in&out And plenty of space in the rest of the room. I can’t remember if the beds were queen size but perfect for my spoiled grandchildren!
Worth it for the Express Passes for the family.
Also , if you have time ... eat breakfast at “the Kitchen” Most reasonable great family style food ever and great service. They also allow personal omelette order with the family style buffet.It was cheap on Xmas Day .
Of course I am used to Disney pricing and selection and service...in comparison.
Loved Hard Rock Resort for so many reasons!
Also love their Cabana Bay Resort interior poolside view family suite if you just want early morn entry hour!
Ilove Universal Studios Resort and I don’t even like Harry Potter!
Plus the newish Today Cafe just inside Universal Studios
near Borne Stunt Show Spectacular (also new Show.... )
has great freshfood! Do not walk past ...love food and that show !

Last edited:

The first time we stayed on-site at universal studios (2010) with 3 kids, we got adjoining rooms at Hard Rock with AAA discount. Worked out well because DH had a stomach bug, so the rest of us isolated him in one of the rooms. The next time we stayed at Cabana Bay (2016) since the kids were older. The split bathroom was a definite plus. I just wish we’d had a chance to enjoy the pool and indoor bowling alley - we are rope drop to closing kind of family.

We have 17 year old triplets and HRH works great for us! We have used the rollaway and it sleeps well, my son who is over 6'2" fits on it very comfortably, and we keep it along the window on the other side of the bed. Still have the rest of the space in the room to spread out as we wouldn't really use that space along the window anyhow.
We are park people, we relax in the room at night prior to bed, otherwise we are by the pool or in the park, so having a big room isn't that important to us. Our first trip was a few years ago and stayed at PBH and the room was noticeably larger so if that's important to you I would go with that! EP's can't be beat :)

I just booked the deluxe 2 Q at HRH for our August trip. We stayed in one a few yrs back and it worked out really well for my family of 5 adults. We really appreciated the extra room, and the fold out couch was pretty comfy. My oldest is 6’4 so we need the extra space!

A little more info on the deluxe rooms: standard rooms at the HRH are 375 sq ft, the deluxe are 500. So only do you get the sleeper sofa, but you also get the extra space. Our room cost $60/night more than the garden view room, but then you don’t have the added cost of the roll-away. Last time we had the most gorgeous pool view!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter