family of five-kids ages 13-8-4

jbolopez

Earning My Ears
We have never stayed at disney. Just wondering if we would be allowed to stay in a room that says it sleeps 4. What room options do we have?

Jennifer

You would need a 1-bedroom (except for Value 1-bedroom at AKV) or larger Villa. Even though the stated occupancy for most 1-bedrooms is 4 plus 1 under the age of 3, DVC will allow 5. For the 1-bedrooms that don't have a sleeper chair in the living room in addition to the sleeper sofa, the resort will not provide a bed or linens for the 5th person if they are not sleeping in the pack-n-play.

DVC Resorts at WDW that do have the sleeper chair in the 1 bedroom are: AKV (except Values), BLT & OKW.

We have never stayed at disney. Just wondering if we would be allowed to stay in a room that says it sleeps 4. What room options do we have?

Jennifer

If you are not a DVC member and don't plan to use DVC points, you could stay in any resort hotel room that sleeps five. That would be the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Yacht Club, Beach Club and Port Orleans Riverside (Alligator Bayou only).

If you plan to rent DVC points (but I wouldn't advise that for your very first trip to WDW), you would need a one bedroom villa. AKV, BLT and OKW have a one bedroom villa that officially sleeps five with one king sized bed in the Master bedroom, a queen sized sleeper sofa in the living room and a twin sized sleeper chair in the living room. The other DVC resort one bedroom villas do not have the sleeper chair. DVC will allow five in a one bedroom, but Disney Reservation Center will not. DVC will not provide a rollaway or cot for your fifth person. You will need to provide your own bedding, bed linens and towels for the fifth person.

Hi and welcome!

The non-DVC options for a family of 5 are, in pretty much increasing price order:
- A Murphy Bed room at Port Orleans Riverside (Moderate)
- A Family suite at All Star Music (value)
- Two hopefully connecting rooms at any of the Values (Note: you would want "connecting" not just "adjoining.")
- A suite at Art of Animation (Value)
- A Garden Wing room at the Contemporary (Deluxe)
- A room at the Beach or Yacht Clubs (Deluxe)
- A room at the Polynesian (Deluxe)
- A room at the Grand Floridian (Deluxe)

The other two Deluxes (Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodges) don't sleep 5 in a standard room. Take a look at the fact sheets and photo albums at www.allears.net for a better look at the resorts.

The other two Deluxes (Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodges) don't sleep 5 in a standard room. Take a look at the fact sheets and photo albums at www.allears.net for a better look at the resorts.

Though I believe both have rooms that can sleep five, they are a little more expensive.

You're right, Crisi.

What I meant was that their basic rooms only sleep 4. The rest of the Deluxes have basic rooms that sleep 5, thanks to the daybed.

A few year back (probably 1996 or so) we stayed in what was then called a "Junior Suite" at Wilderness Lodge. It had a separate bedroom with 2 (queen?) beds and a living room with a pullout couch, technically sleeping 6 I believe. It worked well for our family of 6. It was DH and I in the bedroom with the 2 pre-teens (I think one opted to sleep on the floor rather than sharing but they could have both fit in one bed) and our older teens decided to both sleep on the floor instead of sharing the pullout or taking turns. They were not accustomed to staying in hotels and were more used to tent camping so it was still a luxury compared to that and they really didn't care...they were at Disney! It was only our second trip so they might be more particular these days, but then again, they all have families of their own now. Anyway, long story short, you might find that type of room is still available and I think it could work well for you. Good luck with your planning! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter