• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family split over different cabin types, advice.

phi2012

Mouseketeer
So this will be our second disney cruise, and we have booked an accessible deluxe family oceanview with verandah cabin for our immediate family of 5 on the fantasy in august 24 (the same cabin as we had last time on the dream).
My sister and brother in law have decided to join us and booked a family oceanview with verandah too. (Their first disney cruise).
And now my parents are thinking of coming too, but they are thinking of booking concierge (as they always book concierge on other cruiselines) for their first disney cruise.

So I have a few questions, I hope you can help me with.

How do we sort linking all our bookings/staterooms, will out ta at dreams be able to sort this for us?

Will we be able to get a table that can fit all 9 of us for dinners etc?

With my parents booking concierge, I know they get some perks like, early access to theatres, special boarding lunch, first tenders at ports etc. Is there anyway to experience the show and boarding lunch together or do we have to have seperate lunch and go into the theatre after them, and find seats away from them? And for the tenders at port, would they need to wait for our tender later to go Ashore together?

If they were in the lounge and we needed to talk to them, how do you go about speaking to them? I wouldn't expect to be able to enter the concierge lounge, just how we'd go about getting them if we needed to arrange something for later on for example.

If trying to book something like palo brunch/dinner or a cabana, can I book for everyone on silver booking day (as they wont be silver), or do concierge get an earlier slot than me, and if so can they book for everyone?

With boarding, am I right they can board whenever? So they might need to wait for mine and my sisters pat times to board as a family? (As guessing I'll get an earlier time than my sister, but still probably not as early as my parents can go on).

Sorry for so many questions. But I want to be able to give my parents the correct info, and make sure that them spending the money won't affect how much time/things we can do as a family together. And just to add, I don't expect to get anything extra, having not booked concierge, I just want us to do their first disney cruises as one big family.
Thanks 😊

How do we sort linking all our bookings/staterooms, will out ta at dreams be able to sort this for us?

Will we be able to get a table that can fit all 9 of us for dinners etc?

With my parents booking concierge, I know they get some perks like, early access to theatres, special boarding lunch, first tenders at ports etc. Is there anyway to experience the show and boarding lunch together or do we have to have seperate lunch and go into the theatre after them, and find seats away from them? And for the tenders at port, would they need to wait for our tender later to go Ashore together?

If they were in the lounge and we needed to talk to them, how do you go about speaking to them? I wouldn't expect to be able to enter the concierge lounge, just how we'd go about getting them if we needed to arrange something for later on for example.

If trying to book something like palo brunch/dinner or a cabana, can I book for everyone on silver booking day (as they wont be silver), or do concierge get an earlier slot than me, and if so can they book for everyone?

With boarding, am I right they can board whenever? So they might need to wait for mine and my sisters pat times to board as a family? (As guessing I'll get an earlier time than my sister, but still probably not as early as my parents can go on).
I can answer some but not all.
  • While your TA can link some things (I believe), you will need to link all your reservations on the DCL website once you have everyone's reservation numbers. You'll need a last name and birthday for one person in each room you want to link.
    • Super easy to get a table of 9, which will happen once all the reservations are linked. There was one time this was messed up when we got on board. We went right to dining changes and they fixed it for us.
  • You won't be able to join them at lunch as far as I know (they get extra bonuses at lunch that the rest won't have paid for), they would have to come with you.
  • In the theater, they might be able to 'save seats' (I use that loosely since you aren't supposed to) but if they aren't down and center and you are in early enough, it might be okay.
  • They would need to tender later if there were a tender.
  • Can't answer about the lounge, you need to swipe in in the first place to even get access, so I don't know that the host at the desk would see you.
  • Concierge will be able to book Palo at the 130 day mark and then you will be able to book for any silver guests. I don't expect they would be allowed to book the full table. If Palo isn't squared away by the time you are at port, again, your parents should be able to ask Concierge services to fix it. Alternatively after the 90 day point, Concierge services might be able to fix it, but I wouldn't expect them to do it at 130 days.
  • Again, yes, they can board whenever, but depending on who's at the door, you should be able to go together. I've never had people in our group with a later PAT not be able to come with the whole group.

As long as your group arrives early to theater shows, you can all sit together — there is no requirement for concierge guests to sit in the designated concierge area.

You can contact guests in the lounge (or anywhere else on the ship) using the messaging feature in the DCL app. If you have iPhones, iMessaging may also work.

As I read the post, my thought kept repeating, “the parents can choose to do it with the family or use the Concierge benefit.” Pretty much any Concierge benefit does not apply to anyone who is not listed on a Concierge reservation.

Walt Disney Theater (on the Magic this month) - I noticed the reserved seats were on the left side, closest rows, when facing the stage. That might not even be your preferred seats.

Table - I have had an even larger group and saw a larger group than yours on my last cruise - definitely doable.

Your TA should be able to help you with questions and linking.

You can only book for Silver (and cabin CCI pants) & above during that booking period. Your first time guests cannot be included. (Someone please verify this for the poster; then I will edit if incorrect.)

Last edited:

I thought the same as auntlynne - your parents don’t have to take advantage of every concierge benefit if doing things together as a family is what’s most important to your group. They could just skip out on some of those things to stay with the rest of you. It’s up to them if concierge is still worth it if they are not taking full advantage of all the benefits, but that’s a personal decision.

You can only book for Silver (and cabin CCI pants) & above during that booking period. Your first time guests cannot be included. (Someone please verify this for the poster; then I will edit if incorrect.)
You are correct. They would need to stick a silver family member in the first time room for everyone to be able to book during the silver period (thus making it a silver room).

I encourage you (and your parents) to take a good look at Concierge on Disney vs what they may be used to with Royal, NCL, Celebrity, even MSC. Disney Concierge does not seem to have the same stepped-up ship- within- a ship situation as the others offer.

My take on Disney:
Board at will, earlier disembarkation
Concierge to assist in booking and problems on board
Lounge with light food, drinks
A private area on deck (all Ships?)
Reserved section in W Disney Theater
Different lunch on boarding day

Other cruise lines often offer
Dedicated dining room
Butler
Newspapers
Stocked / complimentary mini bar
Exclusive pool, pool area

Again, traveling with family who are not in Concierge could negate the advantages of Concierge. The rooms are not necessarily better - different color, yes. And you usually get more attention.

Last edited:

Other cruise lines often offer
Dedicated dining room
Butler
Newspapers
Stocked / complimentary mini bar
Exclusive pool, pool area

Not on Celebrity. Celebrity's Concierge Class is just a slightly upgraded veranda experience - a dedicated embarkation lunch and afternoon canapés and that's about it. For the other things you mention you have to go up to Suite Class on Celebrity.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry if people read it that I was trying to gain access to the concierge benefits that my parents would get. I did try to state that was not what my questions were asking. I did not want to try and benefit from their concierge booking.
What I was asking is how people who have had split family stateroom booking types have worked with the above.

It is really helpful to know that they don't have to go to the concierge lunch (a recent vlog I watched said the family had no choice and were whisked off to the concierge lunch - when the child wanted to go to the kids club - but knowing that my parents can come with all the rest of us reassures me.

The show should hopefully not be an issue then, as last time we turned up early to get in (husband is disabled so we thought it better to get there early so we could pick an easy spot for him to get in/out), so we should just be able to go together.

I didn't know you could message on the app, that's really helpful and will allow us to all keep in contact. (Last time as it was just me, hubby and kids, we all stayed together pretty much the whole time, so didn't need to message).

The tender, I think I'll just need to advise them they'll need to wait with the rest of us. Sure that won't be a problem, as its only at 1 stop.
The same goes for getting to the port, as I'm sure all three rooms will have different pat times. But I am happy to wait till my sisters pat time to get on, as it'll be their first time on, I'd love to see their reactions to the ship.

Not sure how we'll go about booking palo, as it wouldn't be for me and hubby anyway, as we don't like to eat without the kids on our holidays, but my mum and dad and sister and brother in law will all most definately want to do it. 🤔 might just have to wait and hope they can get a table when it opens for first timers.

I'm going to definately explain all the benefits of concierge on a disney cruise to my parents and let them know how it will differ from what my sister and my family can do, that way they can make the decision what they want to do.

For us the price increase to concierge wouldn't be worth it as we don't really care about the above benefits ourselves (normally get a good pat time, never rush to get off the ship as hubby cant do with tight crowds, and we don't drink, so can't make the most of the lounge drinks, and we really like the food on the main areas of the ship, so wouldn't really eat too much in the lounge either). But my parents like to feel extra special, and do like to have evening drinks and a quieter space to relax, so it might still be worth it for them.

Think I'll need to just let them decide on that one. But at least we will know how we deal with the above. 🙂
Thanks everyone 👍

a recent vlog I watched said the family had no choice and were whisked off to the concierge lunch - when the child wanted to go to the kids club
The kids clubs are all in "open house" mode at embarkation time until late afternoon. So that may not have been an option for the child. The family can always say "no, we'd like to do xyz first" or "no thanks, not hungry for lunch right now." Concierge does like to at least briefly meet with guests at embarkation, but it can be done later if that is preferred.

husband is disabled so we thought it better to get there early so we could pick an easy spot for him to get in/out)
My mother had knee surgery/was using a cane before we took our cruise and she couldn't use steps, so we spoke to guest services, and we went in and out the "concierge entrance" in the basement of the Wish because it was the only one with no steps. You might investigate that possibility.

I honestly don’t see the point of your parents booking concierge’s if the rest of the party isn’t and the pointer locations to spend time together. But then again, some people just want to book those things out of principle. Maybe for them having the value of sitting in the lounge getting free alcohol and snacks is worth the money to them then go ahead do it or concierge services pre-sailing. But honestly, I think they’re not getting their moneys worth if they plan on spending time with you guys because all other services on board is exactly the same for concierge’s guests.

if having a robe and slippers in your state room is a must have you can also just one of the romance package. You also get a bottle of champagne you can take the stuff home with you to.

The biggest whole-family advantage you'll get is that your parents will probably be able to book a family beach cabana when the concierge booking window opens (they need to learn how to do this to take advantage of it). All of you will be able to enjoy the cabana on Castaway Cay.

You are correct. They would need to stick a silver family member in the first time room for everyone to be able to book during the silver period (thus making it a silver room).
I have a question about this. My mom and I are doing the September 2024 British Isles sailing on the Dream. My mom and I are both Silver, and my aunt is joining and this will be her first Disney cruise. When we first booked, my TA put my mom and I together in one stateroom with me as the lead guest, and my aunt in her own stateroom. I realized recently that we needed to put one of us in my aunt's stateroom so that we could book activities for our whole party on the silver booking date. It shouldn't be that hard to just have my mom moved from one stateroom to the other, correct? And once we're on the ship we can be in whichever stateroom we like?

ETA: We are in the same cabin type in connecting staterooms, so all I'm really trying to solve for here is making sure we can book all of our activities at the same time.

Last edited:
You've gotten good answers, but I wanted to point out that when your parents are in the concierge lounge you can use the disney app on your phones to communicate.

I have a question about this. My mom and I are doing the September 2024 British Isles sailing on the Dream. My mom and I are both Silver, and my aunt is joining and this will be her first Disney cruise. When we first booked, my TA put my mom and I together in one stateroom with me as the lead guest, and my aunt in her own stateroom. I realized recently that we needed to put one of us in my aunt's stateroom so that we could book activities for our whole party on the silver booking date. It shouldn't be that hard to just have my mom moved from one stateroom to the other, correct? And once we're on the ship we can be in whichever stateroom we like?

ETA: We are in the same cabin type in connecting staterooms, so all I'm really trying to solve for her is making sure we can book all of our activities at the same time.
Your TA should be able to do that easily.

It shouldn't be that hard to just have my mom moved from one stateroom to the other, correct? And once we're on the ship we can be in whichever stateroom we like?
It's easy enough to do. Just be aware that mom will be considered a cancel on your room and a new guest on your aunt's room. Prevailing rates will apply (yes, even though aunt was charged the double-occupancy there could be an increase in rate for the 2nd guest).

It's easy enough to do. Just be aware that mom will be considered a cancel on your room and a new guest on your aunt's room. Prevailing rates will apply (yes, even though aunt was charged the double-occupancy there could be an increase in rate for the 2nd guest).
Yeah, if it's going to change our rate it might not be worth it. I don't know if anything we're trying to do is going to be in such demand that we can't book it on my aunt's booking date. The only thing I'm worried about maybe having difficult with is Remy, but maybe we can try to book that for 2 on our date and just add my aunt to it once we're onboard. The other thing I'd worry about is the beverage tastings, but those aren't super crucial for us. They're fun, but we don't need them.

Yeah, if it's going to change our rate it might not be worth it. I don't know if anything we're trying to do is going to be in such demand that we can't book it on my aunt's booking date. The only thing I'm worried about maybe having difficult with is Remy, but maybe we can try to book that for 2 on our date and just add my aunt to it once we're onboard. The other thing I'd worry about is the beverage tastings, but those aren't super crucial for us. They're fun, but we don't need them.

You can check it yourself. Just look at the website for the cost of your room category.

Or just ask your TA. It will make getting coordinated PAT /Boarding Groups easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter