Family that drove off cliff

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
This story just keeps getting more and more bizzare.

Yesterday it came out that the Mom's blood alcohol level was high, and that the kids had a Benadryl-like substance in their systems.

There were also earlier reports that some of the kids had been abused and starved, and that CPS had been involved, according to neighbors.

Three of the children seem to still be missing. (One body was found but has yet to be positively identified.)

Speedometer was stuck at 90.

Such a sad story!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mother-intentionally-drove-family-off-cliff-drunk-police/story?id=54463696

Discuss.

Just completely awful. I feel like someone at CPS dropped the ball at some point. I wonder if this could have been prevented, seems like there were previous signs.

It seems the parents were abusive mental cases. How they were able to adopt so many children AND abuse them makes me ill. Those kids cried out for help many times too. For god's sake they were eating out of garbage cans at school, stealing food from class mates and begging neighbours to feed them saying their parents were withholding food as punishment. The ball was dropped so many times in so many ways.

Last edited:

It seems the parents were abusive mental cases. How they were able to adopt so many children AND abusive them makes me ill. Those kids cried out for help many times too. For god's sake they were eating out of garbage cans at school, stealing food from class mates and begging neighbours to feed them saying their parents were withholding food as punishment. The ball was dropped so many times in so many ways.
I agree. I believe they also had bruises.

I thought one had to pass so many home studies and other evaluations before they could foster or adopt. Someone dropped the ball big time.

From what I first read I had assumed it was an accident, now it sure sounds like a murder suicide

I’ve been fascinated with this story. Well fascinated isn’t the best word but it’s so baffling how there were so many signs yet this still happened. Those poor children.

Do a google image search of the name Devonte Hart - Free Hugs.

This young man will be familiar to some of you. He is one of the kids who is missing. The whole story breaks my heart. These kids deserved a lifetime of love. So tragic. :(

How they were able to adopt so many children AND abuse them makes me ill.
How they were able to adopt so many children AND abuse them makes me ill.
I thought one had to pass so many home studies and other evaluations before they could foster or adopt. Someone dropped the ball big time.
My take is by moving State to State to State they probably knew how to play the system to their advantage. Plus fostering older kids is a big challenge and very few are willing to take them on. Foster care is desperate for parents in most all States. Oregon CPS has had some major issues in the past few years and dropped the ball many times, WA State isn't that different.

From what I first read I had assumed it was an accident, now it sure sounds like a murder suicide

From the FIRST REPORT I told DW it was not an accident. Just felt wrong. NOT to go against rules and might get burned but I have to say..... _ell is Here on Earth not some place after death. Those kids and others around the world, in hospitals----JUST AIN'T RIGHT!!!! My venting and to tell the truth, I am more upset with these happenings then the recurrence of my cancer.

My take is by moving State to State to State they probably knew how to play the system to their advantage. Plus fostering older kids is a big challenge and very few are willing to take them on. Foster care is desperate for parents in most all States. Oregon CPS has had some major issues in the past few years and dropped the ball many times, WA State isn't that different.

And these kids were homeschooled for at least the last few years so they weren’t in contact with other adults on a consistent basis.

They haven’t been able to identify the girl yet because they can’t find any dental records.

This story is back in the news “after a coroner's jury unanimously ruled that Jennifer and Sarah Hart intended to die along with their six adopted children...”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/06/us/hart-family-crash-inquest-searches/index.html

Just so sad.
I saw that too. Shocking and heartbreaking; what a tremendous loss of those beautiful young people. Not a bit sorry for the beasts that did this to them, and what they were put through before. These kids were failed by a system that placed vulnerable children in this home.

Last edited:
Bad things happen in our society but this is hitting me really hard. These poor children had such a hard life from birth to death. I almost regret googling the hug picture as i can’t get it out of my mind

Bad things happen in our society but this is hitting me really hard. These poor children had such a hard life from birth to death. I almost regret googling the hug picture as i can’t get it out of my mind

Agreed. I saw a picture the other day of them in front of a house and it has stuck with me. Those children just looked so sweet and I’m sure all they wanted was safety and love. It is amazing to me how happy they appeared when in reality their life must have been very difficult.

Agreed. I saw a picture the other day of them in front of a house and it has stuck with me. Those children just looked so sweet and I’m sure all they wanted was safety and love. It is amazing to me how happy they appeared when in reality their life must have been very difficult.
Why, oh why? I just can't fathom what sort of monsters seek out children to adopt only to torture them? Most adoptive parents are so, so happy to have a child. It just doesn't make any sense. :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter