• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family Vacation 2022 Advice!

Omoreno

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip for my husbands family and would appreciate any advice!!!

We are looking at a two bedroom for the 6 of us.

It will be two married couples in their 20s, my husbands mother, and 30 year old.

My home resort is Saratoga Springs, but I haven’t stayed there yet. We were also looking into OKW or AKL as options! We have never stayed at any of the three. This is our second DVC trip- previously stayed at Poly and Boardwalk. Love both!

For a trip in January 2022, where would be the best place to stay SS, OKW, or AKL?

I was leaning toward AKL for the extra bathroom in Kidani, but the pool will be closed at this time so we would have to walk over to Jambo if we wanted to use the pools. I’m not sure how long the walk is, but as this is their first time staying on property the pool could be a deal breaker, but it’s January so I’m not sure.

I like SS is close to Disney Springs and has several pools. I’m not sure if it will be warm enough to swim, but I’d imagine if it is we will probably spend a day or two at the pools. It would also be nice to be able to walk to restaurants in the evenings.

OKW room size is amazing! It would be nice to have the space, and we would be hoping the boats would be up by that time to get to DS.

Out of the three, what is your favorite for a family vacation and why?

We would look into other resorts, but this is 3/6 of us first time at Disney, so I feel like anywhere we stay will be magical and we could save points at these resorts!

My vote is kidani since it’s all adults due to the extra bathroom. There’s a shuttle that goes between the lodge and kidani so you wouldn’t have to have a long walk to go to the Jambo pool, which we prefer to the kidani one.

I'm always partial to OKW for the room size. If you decide to do OKW, be sure to request to be in building 30 or higher, as there was a design change. Those building have two entrances to the master bathroom, lower number do not. Note that NONE of the rooms in the Near HH category has the second bathroom entrance.

So really 4 different families? I would lean towards Kidani or BLT for the three bathrooms.

There is a shuttle between Kidani and Jambo.

So really 4 different families? I would lean towards Kidani or BLT for the three bathrooms.

There is a shuttle between Kidani and Jambo.

Yes, sort of, it’s my husband, his mother, his two brothers, his brothers wife, and myself!

I agree, with 4 different families, the additional bathroom of Kidani would be a positive thing. And a two bedroom lock-off could provide even more privacy, allowing each side of the unit to come and go as they please without disturbing others.

I have to say that if you do pick Kidani, I would go for the savannah view, not the standard. The standard view does give you the extra bathroom, but you don‘t get the animals!

I am planning a trip for my husbands family and would appreciate any advice!!!

We are looking at a two bedroom for the 6 of us.

It will be two married couples in their 20s, my husbands mother, and 30 year old.

My home resort is Saratoga Springs, but I haven’t stayed there yet. We were also looking into OKW or AKL as options! We have never stayed at any of the three. This is our second DVC trip- previously stayed at Poly and Boardwalk. Love both!

For a trip in January 2022, where would be the best place to stay SS, OKW, or AKL?

I was leaning toward AKL for the extra bathroom in Kidani, but the pool will be closed at this time so we would have to walk over to Jambo if we wanted to use the pools. I’m not sure how long the walk is, but as this is their first time staying on property the pool could be a deal breaker, but it’s January so I’m not sure.

I like SS is close to Disney Springs and has several pools. I’m not sure if it will be warm enough to swim, but I’d imagine if it is we will probably spend a day or two at the pools. It would also be nice to be able to walk to restaurants in the evenings.

OKW room size is amazing! It would be nice to have the space, and we would be hoping the boats would be up by that time to get to DS.

Out of the three, what is your favorite for a family vacation and why?

We would look into other resorts, but this is 3/6 of us first time at Disney, so I feel like anywhere we stay will be magical and we could save points at these resorts!
Book your home resort now and switch to Kidani at 7 months. Even with the Samawati Springs pool being closed for a refurb, having that 3rd full bathroom will be invaluable with that many adults.

I love a Savannah view, but the point is to go to WDW, right? You're missing the most important perk -- walking distance to a park! Boy those AKL buses get old.

Last edited:
Book your home resort now and switch to Kidani at 7 months. Even with the Samawati Springs pool being closed for a refurb, having that 3rd full bathroom will be invaluable with that many adults.

What @Marionnette says. There are tons of people with tons of points from 2020/2021 to use and pickings are slim. So get SSR now, while you still have the home resort advantage and switch to Kidani at 7 months out.

Just to maybe confuse the issue, we stayed at OKW with 2 seniors, our children (30s) and DGDs (then 2+4). Next trip we tried Kidani savannah view, thinking they'd like the animals. Everyone agreed they missed the big porch at OKW, where they could sit outside as a family and eat their meals.

Just to maybe confuse the issue, we stayed at OKW with 2 seniors, our children (30s) and DGDs (then 2+4). Next trip we tried Kidani savannah view, thinking they'd like the animals. Everyone agreed they missed the big porch at OKW, where they could sit outside as a family and eat their meals.

I know many people, even none owners, to whom I bartered, that prefer the relative quiet of the OKW area and the large rooms. The same people have relatives that are DVC, and have let their teenagers travel with them to their home resort. I don't remember exactly which one, but I want to say it was BLT, not sure, but it WAS in walking distance to a park...so not AKL. Their teens preferred OKW...which was a bit surprising.

I am thinking my mother in law might prefer the quiet atmosphere of OKW

I vote for OKW. It feels more like Florida too if you happen to be from up north. The living room space is the largest for a big group. I know my extended family can handle sharing a bathroom for a few days to get the added living space and seating.

OKW, like SSR, is not a "Disney in your face, 24 hours a day" type resort, I mean, it's Disney, but a much more subtle Disney. You can actually feel like you've gotten away from the hustle and bustle.

Are your in-laws okay with stairs? Only a few OKW buildings have elevators.
This is true, but on the other hand, I traveled with my Mom for years, and she was in a wheelchair whenever we'd leave the room. She had 3 surgeries on the same hip, so was OK around the house, and in the rooms...so I never requested an HA room, but ALWAYS requested ground floor. And was able to get it 99% of the time. Remember over 1/3 of OKW rooms are ground floor entrances. Be sure to request ground floor or elevator building, if needed. The stairs, though are well made, and a pretty gentle rise. 1/2 flight, a landing, and another 1/2 flight. The exception is Grand Villas, there is ONE with ground floor entrance, and TWO in an elevator building. All three are HA, and must be specifically reserved as such. All other GVs at OKW have a second floor entry.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter