Family With Teens, Spring Break Dining Recommendations Please

Little E

DIS Veteran
Disfriends, I need some input. I am meeting with my TA tomorrow to firm up our dining plans for our 2020 spring break family trip, as our 180 ADR window opens on October 1. Eeeek...I'm getting really excited!

This is our last spring break trip before DS #1 goes to college. DH, DS17 and DS15 and I will be going and we have the DDP. As my kids are getting older, they are becoming a little more willing to eat beyond the burgers and chicken fingers menu. Here's our dining profile:

DS #1 is more adventurous than DS #2 (DS #2 could eat chicken fingers every day at WDW, but he is willing to be pushed into steak/pork tenderloin/tacos territory. It would be good to have chicken fingers on a menu as back up for him if there are none of these things as options.) Neither are interested in character meals. Everyone likes steak, pork tenderloin, pasta, and pizza. DH is fond of good salmon and sushi. Three of us like Mexican, and one will grudgingly find something else on the menu in a Mexican situation. I avoid sugar and flour, but I can make just about every menu work with some modifications that I know WDW is capable of. I'm not sweating my sugar/flour situation...I'd rather have everyone else happy, as I can figure stuff out with the help of chefs and waitstaff. We are going from 3/29/20-4/4/20. Our flight is late in the day on 4/4, so we'd like to get as much out of the dining plan as possible on that day.

We went to Disneyland in the summer of 2018, and our favorite restaurant experience there was the Blue Bayou. WDW doesn't have this, but a similar ambiance would be awesome! We like restaurants with a theme or special atmosphere.

We always blow through all of our snack credits, and we plan to splurge and try the California Grill, as we've never eaten here before. We plan to eat a low key breakfast in our room each morning, and typically do QS for lunch and TS for dinner, with a few exceptions. So far, these are the restaurants the family has requested ressies for:

For the family:
The Wave-dinner
Sci-Fi Drive In-lunch or dinner
BOG-lunch
California Grill-dinner (hoping to time it with fireworks viewing)
50's Prime Time cafe-lunch or dinner

Hubby and I are planning on an Oga's Cantina experience.

Here are my questions:
1. What other restaurants would you recommend for our family? I would like to try a couple of new-to-us restaurants, as all of the ones I've listed above-with the exception of the California Grill-are places we've eaten before. Again, my kids don't want character meals. We have eaten at Beaches and Cream and Whispering Canyon Cafe, and while we certainly liked these places, my family has determined they are a one and done for us.

2. Regarding TS recommendations, I would prefer that they be one entitlement places, as we are splurging on CG already.

3. We are open to restaurants at any of the parks or at resorts. However, we don't want restaurants that require planes/trains/automobiles to get to. My guys are really attraction/ride centric, and they don't want to spend tons of time at a restaurant or getting to a restaurant. Probably Boardwalk and monorail resorts would be better for us. If it helps, we are staying at the Poly. We will not have a car, and are used to using Disney transportation to get around. We are open to using Uber/Lyft/Minnie vans, if absolutely necessary.

4. We are open to either buffets or sit down style restaurants.

5. We would love some not-the-norm QS recommendations too. We are planning on trying Columbia Harbor House and Woody's Lunchbox for the first time during this trip.

6. We aren't a big Disney Springs family. My boys are not interested in shopping, as they would rather check out attractions and ride rides.

I know this is a tall order. Any advice my wonderful Disfriends can offer would be so greatly appreciated! Have a magical day!pixiedust:

I love your restaurant choices. I love the Wave, for both breakfast and dinner. They have a really good breakfast buffet. And for dinner i absolutely love the beef short rib. To die for!
I love SciFi. Its the best themed restaurant and so quiet. And i've always enjoyed the food. The other restaurants you listed are all great. I just wanted to say that with your california grill reservation if you finish before the fireworks start, just keep your receipt because you can always come back to watch it from the balcony... as long as you have a receipt.

Disfriends, I need some input. I am meeting with my TA tomorrow to firm up our dining plans for our 2020 spring break family trip, as our 180 ADR window opens on October 1. Eeeek...I'm getting really excited!

This is our last spring break trip before DS #1 goes to college. DH, DS17 and DS15 and I will be going and we have the DDP. As my kids are getting older, they are becoming a little more willing to eat beyond the burgers and chicken fingers menu. Here's our dining profile:

DS #1 is more adventurous than DS #2 (DS #2 could eat chicken fingers every day at WDW, but he is willing to be pushed into steak/pork tenderloin/tacos territory. It would be good to have chicken fingers on a menu as back up for him if there are none of these things as options.) Neither are interested in character meals. Everyone likes steak, pork tenderloin, pasta, and pizza. DH is fond of good salmon and sushi. Three of us like Mexican, and one will grudgingly find something else on the menu in a Mexican situation. I avoid sugar and flour, but I can make just about every menu work with some modifications that I know WDW is capable of. I'm not sweating my sugar/flour situation...I'd rather have everyone else happy, as I can figure stuff out with the help of chefs and waitstaff. We are going from 3/29/20-4/4/20. Our flight is late in the day on 4/4, so we'd like to get as much out of the dining plan as possible on that day.

We went to Disneyland in the summer of 2018, and our favorite restaurant experience there was the Blue Bayou. WDW doesn't have this, but a similar ambiance would be awesome! We like restaurants with a theme or special atmosphere.

We always blow through all of our snack credits, and we plan to splurge and try the California Grill, as we've never eaten here before. We plan to eat a low key breakfast in our room each morning, and typically do QS for lunch and TS for dinner, with a few exceptions. So far, these are the restaurants the family has requested ressies for:

For the family:
The Wave-dinner
BOG-lunch

Here are my questions:
1. What other restaurants would you recommend for our family? I would like to try a couple of new-to-us restaurants, as all of the ones I've listed above-with the exception of the California Grill-are places we've eaten before. Again, my kids don't want character meals. We have eaten at Beaches and Cream and Whispering Canyon Cafe, and while we certainly liked these places, my family has determined they are a one and done for us.

2. Regarding TS recommendations, I would prefer that they be one entitlement places, as we are splurging on CG already.

3. We are open to restaurants at any of the parks or at resorts. However, we don't want restaurants that require planes/trains/automobiles to get to. My guys are really attraction/ride centric, and they don't want to spend tons of time at a restaurant or getting to a restaurant. Probably Boardwalk and monorail resorts would be better for us. If it helps, we are staying at the Poly. We will not have a car, and are used to using Disney transportation to get around. We are open to using Uber/Lyft/Minnie vans, if absolutely necessary.

5. We would love some not-the-norm QS recommendations too. We are planning on trying Columbia Harbor House and Woody's Lunchbox for the first time during this trip.

6. We aren't a big Disney Springs family. My boys are not interested in shopping, as they would rather check out attractions and ride rides.

I know this is a tall order. Any advice my wonderful Disfriends can offer would be so greatly appreciated! Have a magical day!pixiedust:

In addition to what you currently have on your list, I would consider looking at the menus for the following TS:

Skipper Canteen in MK
Spice Road Table in EP
Yak & Yeti in AK

These all fall into the a-little-more-adventurous category, but offer some more traditional items as well. Maybe even consider Biergarten in EP - it has a varied buffet and has a fun atmosphere and some entertainment. If you are staying at Poly, both Kona and 'Ohana dinner could be convenient and certainly offer a variety of foods.

For not-the-norm QS, consider: Docking Bay 7 in DHS, Flame Tree BBQ in AK, Tangierine Cafe in EP. If your DH likes sushi, but no one else is interested, the QS in EP Japan has some decent sushi he could pick up there without committing to a full TS meal for everyone in the family.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have added the Skipper Canteen to our list...I think my teenagers would like the pun-y humor there.

Can anyone give me a sense of San Angel Inn? From the pictures, it looks like it has a similar atmosphere to the Blue Bayou at Disneyland. Dark, with a water ride going through. It's a Mexican menu, which would please most of my crew.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have added the Skipper Canteen to our list...I think my teenagers would like the pun-y humor there.

Can anyone give me a sense of San Angel Inn? From the pictures, it looks like it has a similar atmosphere to the Blue Bayou at Disneyland. Dark, with a water ride going through. It's a Mexican menu, which would please most of my crew.

Yes, I would say the atmosphere at San Angel Inn would be fairly similar to Blue Bayou (though I like Blue Bayou more!). I don't, personally, particularly like the food there, but the atmosphere really is lovely. You feel as if you are sitting outside in a Mexican courtyard as boats float by - really lovely!

I have sons the same ages and their must do dining has remained consistent over the years. Enjoy!

TS:
‘Ohana
Teppan Edo
Liberty Tree Tavern
Boma
50’s Prime Time

QS:
Pecos Bill
Captain Cook’s

My kids loved San Angel Inn as teenagers and still do now--I like to go there our first day because it really makes me feel like I'm at Disney. My 20 year old just asked to go there in a few weeks--we like the food. The person who doesn't like Mexican food could order off the kids menu and pay ala carte and save 1TS.

We also like Sanaa, maybe for your AK day, assuming you have one. The food is well prepared and it's a steal for 1 TS.

I have booked SAI for the teens I am bringing in December. It is darkish in there, with the sky changing above you. The boatride is in view. I like it.

My teen granddaughter loves Tratorria al Forno in the Boardwalk. It was among our favorites last trip.

Disfriends, thank you so much for your awesome ideas and info! You've given me much to "chew" on! :tongue: I have lots of ideas to take to my TA when we meet later this morning!

We too are going on our last spring break Disney trip with our son who is also a senior:(

I hope your meal planning was successful.
I know you said you're not Disney Springs people, and neither are our two children because they are not shoppers.
However, we all like the restaurants there and want to see the newly opened NBA experience as well as the new Cirque show.

I know you'll have a wonderful time!
Enjoy!

My teens sons love Yak & Yeti, 50's PT, Tokyo Dining and San Angel Inn. Y & Y, Tokyo Dining and 50's PT are requested for every trip. I made the mistake of taking DS18 to California Grill for Sunday brunch on a trip with just the 2 of us, and now he is asking for it for our next trip ($$$:headache:).

I would let the teens pick. They are old enough to use the internet and read menus. Show them allears and give them an assignment they must each pick 2 or 3. They will be excited during the trip when it comes time for their pick!

Boma at AKL and Chefs de France in WS at Epcot. We don’t do the DP so not sure how many credits but they are 2 of our favorites.

I would also suggest Teppan Edo. I think, but can't swear to it, that you can order a sushi roll as an appetizer since you mentioned your husband enjoying it, and when you get right down to it the entrees are pretty simple, but with a bit more flair in the preparation so if your youngest is feeling less adventurous he can stick to steak with veggies and rice.

And DW and I love going to Raglan Road, though that is in Disney Springs. That is our traditional arrival day dinner, whether we go into the parks for a few hours (if we get in before noon) or just venture to the resorts and explore or relax.

My teen boys loved Chefs de France, Splitsville, and Tusker House for a brunch time breakfast. Flame Tree is always a solid choice for quick service, as is Pecos Bills, Casey’s, and and Wolfgang Puck Express. They also went crazy over the Boathouse, although that’s a two credit (we weren’t on the dining plan, though). My boys are voracious and all of the above served huge portions!

For the family:
The Wave-dinner
BOG-lunch

Here are my questions:

I would do the new Space 220 restaurant in Epcot. No reservations or menu is available at this time but I guarantee it is going to be quite unbelievable once open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter