Famous Film Locations

We've seen a bunch of film locations when traveling. This one came to mind. These are the "do re mi" steps from The Sound of Music...in Salzburg Austria. We went on a wonderful Christmas Market tour of Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague way back in 2006. So, clearly the photo is from winter. The scene is filmed from the top of those steps with Julie Andrews and the children coming up the steps and through the gate. I'd love to see those gardens sometime in summer.

Attachments

• Salzburg_039.jpg
    Salzburg_039.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8
at least a few times a year we grab lunch at a local diner that fans of johnny depp would recognize from 'benny and joon' (he did the scene with the dancing dinner rolls on forks there)-wonderful old school soda fountain! nearby is the park where he did the scenes ala buster keaton chasing his hat.

My college roommate’s brother was one of the possessed extra kiddos in Children of Corn. It was filmed in Sioux City, IA.

So here’s another one. This is south lower wacker drive which is in Chicago.
IMG_3091.jpeg
if you recognise it, its because it was used in the chase scenes for The Blues Brothers and The Dark Knight
IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg

We've been to Glenfinnan Monument in Scotland, where the Hogwarts train passes. It's also the backdrop for the lake, I believe.
22791628_10212626583513474_7927098886178826789_o.jpg
22829179_10212164972974143_625249801099528988_o.jpg

Not movies, but TV shows. We took a Poldark tour in Cornwall, England, and on a tour in Scotland we went through the town that they filmed Hamish MacBeth in. Couldn't find my picture for that one.

65768937_10217010227181826_2823590484838973440_n.jpg

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco a few times- where High Anxiety was filmed. I may have done the “here’s your paper” shower bit a time or two during our stays.

Ohio State Reformatory which was the setting for The Shawshank Redemption. Was very interesting to walk around and see the internal rooms used in the film.

Attachments

• IMG_7683.jpeg
    IMG_7683.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 3
Did Salzburg and Sound of Music stuff.
Also the Father Ted house (its just the outside of the house) and a few of the locations in Clare.
Probably a few others I forget - I recall searching for various places from TV shows\Movies and such but cant recall off the top of my head.

I was in Croatia for a few weeks, so a lot of Game of Thrones stuff, but I am not into Game of Thrones and was there for the history - was very annoying that it was all about Game of Thrones. We were the only people on the tours that were not interested in GOT.

If you are into this stuff The Grimm Collective does a nice job on you tube - mostly horror, but they also did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which was cool. Adam the Woo also does this type of stuff.

One I missed and regret to this day is the Village from the Prisoner. I spent a month in the middle of nowhere in a place called Penrhyndeudraeth. Probably the worst and most unwelcoming time I ever had in Europe. People would pick fights with us in the pub (the one pub in town) because we were Irish. People would switch from English to Welsh when you walked into the shop. Why was I even there - family stuff that I had to deal with.

Anyway, come to find out Portmeirion is basically a short walk away. This is back before the Internet was really a thing.
About a month later I was watching a special about the prisoner on the Sci Fi Channel - back when they actually had Sci Fi, and the talk about going to Portmeirion and how you take the train from London to Cardiff (I think) and then the bus to Penrhyndeudraeth and its a short walk to Portmeirion. Was not a happy camper at all.

Now I want to go back to see the Village, but the place was just so awful it would need to be a day trip. I'm sure its changed since the 90s, but still its hard to get past that experience.

Anyone remember the TV show Bewitched with Elizabeth Montgomery? We were in Gloucester, MA the summer when they were filming an episode of the show where Serena turns Darrin into the statue of the Fisherman's Memorial or more commonly called "The Man at the Wheel".

Here is the storyline:

Storyline​

Edit
While on vacation in Salem, Samantha and Darrin plan to do some sightseeing in Gloucester before having a lobster lunch at the Gloucester House. Those plans are slightly modified when Samantha is called away to the witch's convocation for an emergency that morning, leaving a reluctant Darrin to do the sightseeing with Serena before they meet up for lunch. Serena herself is sidetracked coming across the Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial, the statue of the fisherman who she believes would be an attractive specimen if alive, turning him into a human being what she does. In an argument with Darrin, Serena, in turn, turns him into the fisherman statue while she goes off and cavorts with her new companion. When Samantha returns to catch up with Darrin and Serena, she notices the fact that Darrin has been turned into the statue. Problems ensue as Larry, who was in Boston for a meeting with one of Darrin's potential new clients, shows up in Gloucester looking for him to make a new pitch to that client, Mr. Barrows. So Samantha has to be in three palaces at the same time: making sure nothing happens to the statue of Darrin, trying to find Serena to turn Darrin back into human form, and keeping Larry and Mr. Barrows preoccupied. There is a time factor involved as well as Barrows threatens to walk and take his account with him if Darrin doesn't show up soon with an acceptable new advertising concept.

SAMANTHA TELLING DARRIN TO GET DOWN.jpg
Samantha asking Darrin what he is doing up there.

real man at the wheel.jpg

One of my many photos of the Fisherman's Memorial. My mom grew up in that town so we spent every summer up there for vacation. We watched filming that day and Elizabeth Montgomery stayed after to sign autographs...she was so nice to us little kids.

I think the episode also was shot in Salem at the House of the 7 Gables.

Gloucester was used in many films like The Good Son, Captains Courageous, The Perfect Storm, The Proposal and most recently CODA.

The train station in the original X Men movie was where my wedding reception was :). My little claim to fame!
I had my wedding day pictures taken at Casa Loma, which was used as the X-Mansion in that movie.

The Hulk/Abomination fight in Incredible Hulk was CGI'd onto Yonge Street here in Toronto. This was back when Sam the Record Man still existed and the neon spinning records were still close to street level.

The university scenes in Tommy Boy were shot at Hart House and St Michael's College at University of Toronto. I was in residence at St. Mike's, and walked by the locations every day.

I should add the caveat that none of these were intentional visits.

One that was intentional was going to the sign outside the Bull and Finch pub in Boston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter