• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fanny pack, mini pack or backpack...thoughts?

imktdqt810

Mouseketeer
I will put pictures below of each but in the past I have done the fanny pack and a fabric backpack. I bought the mini pack for 2020 (mainly to put my phone and my small wallet that would have ID and gift cards) but we never got to go to use it. But reading on these boards, it is suggested by a few that having "extra masks" just to be on the safe side.
We don't have small kids so I am thinking the backpack might be a bit too much. I found last time we went and I used the back pack (2016) I would take it off for each ride, put one leg in both straps and have it wrapped around my ankle with my foot on at least one strap for most rides so I could comfortably sit back and not lose my bag. It was fine and at the time we toted around bottled water (3 total) and refilled them when necessary. But this time if we need water we will just buy it (or ask for a glass if they still even give away free water in cups). I don't MIND the fanny pack (I normally keep it in front of me then would swing it around back for pictures so it just looked like I was wearing a black belt (in 2012). Actually, I'm second guessing the backpack as I write this b/c I don't think I want it on the floor of every ride again and then having it on my back! What have others found using lately worked the best for them?

550113550115550116 550117

I tend to go no bag because I hated having to go through bag check but with the new procedures that might not be an issue. You still have to take your phone out and put it in a plastic bag and in a tray and there are no longer any no bags lines. I have one of those little wallet slip things attached to the back of my phone that holds an ID, CC, room key if not staying in a WDW resort and little cash. All that fits in a pocket. I have a running belt similar to the one you have a picture of but they made me take it off and go through the bag line when I wore it so it was useless. I'm thinking that is what I'd wear now and I wouldn't have to stress about finding women's clothes with pockets deep enough for a phone.

The last 2 times I’ve gone, I’ve used a crossbody from Hot Topic. It’s big enough for my phone, credit card wallet, masks, and a few small extras. Usually take Tylenol, bandaids, ect. And I could slip my sunglasses into it without crushing them. Because the strap was nice and long, I didn’t usually have to take it off on rides, just adjust where it laid based on ride safety bars. I tucked it inside my shirt for things like TOT where it might come up and smack me in the face 😂

I have a variety of cross body bags which is what I mostly use. I don't have to take one off for many of the rides, they are flat / small enough that they stay with me on the seat. I am able to fit everything I need in them including a couple of spare masks. For rides which are more intense, some of my bags convert to 3 prong closure fanny packs (this is mostly for Universal).

Its a very personal choice what to take and really depends a lot on what items you take into the parks.

I'd love to get away with a fanny pack because I love the hands free idea and always having easy access to my items.

However I'm also someone that likes to carry a water bottle or if I don't and I end up buying a bottled drink and do not drink it all at once and then need somewhere to put it and some people use a fanny pack with a built in bottle holder or a thing you can hook the bottle onto but I haven't found one that doesn't drag the fanny pack down...

For a number of trips I used a Vera Bradley hipster crossbody which is nice as its hands free and can stay on during most rides however I've found that it does start bothering my shoulder (not digging in because the strap lays nice and flat but rather just the pressure of it especially when its pushing down on my bra strap makes my shoulder sore).

I'm considering a mini backpack for my next trip as it easily fits a water bottle, poncho, and if I purchase something small or say go during the Halloween party I can put my bag of candy in it.

I do not think a full size backpack is at all necessary unless maybe you do have small kids that may need extra items.

I personally prefer mini backpacks. I don't mind taking them off and putting them back on. I've worn fanny packs in theme parks, and they just feel odd on my hips/waist. With backpacks you have to be very mindful of not over stuffing them so it doesn't hurt your shoulders.

I really dislike carrying anything in the parks, but I recently got Invisaligns and need to keep cleaning supplies handy. I bought a crossbody bag and use that. Once December hits and these babies come off though, I’m back to putting stuff in my pockets LOL.

Fanny pack. My favorite converts between a waist pack and a crossbody bag, so you have options, although I always wear it as a waist pack. I used to take a small version that just held essentials, but I upgraded to a slightly bigger size in September to accommodate extra masks. I had plenty of room, but it was still small enough to not get in my way and to leave on during rides.

One tip: make sure your extra masks are either in a baggie or individually wrapped so they don't get wet. We used disposable masks and it was fantastic being able to toss them every couple hours (or whenever they got wet) to put on a fresh one.

We always go bagels, but I get that it’s harder when you have kids. I just always wear cargo shorts and stuff all of our stuff in the pockets. My wife calls them clown pockets because all kinds of stuff can come out of them when needed.

I prefer the mini backpack or the string backpack... the fanny pack was ok but I like having somewhere to put my waterbottle and a snack. The big backpack was great but I hate putting it in my lap or on my feet on the rides.

I bought a Vera Bradley fanny pack that is waterproof (nylon) and a decent size, most like the one in OP's first photo. It has a front pocket for my chap stick and slots for my cards and ID, and the larger pocket was big enough for my phone, extra masks for DH and I, and had a spot for my sunglasses when I wasn't wearing them. We rarely need more than these things in the park. I find the fanny pack to be the most comfortable and I almost never have to remove it on rides.

I have a small running belt like the Nike one in the OP's photo, but I find it too small. A backpack of any kind would be annoying for me because I'd constantly have to take it off to get my phone - don't underestimate how important having your phone handy is for checking wait times, mobile orders, taking quick pictures. I would never wear a backpack and a fanny pack - too much stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter