• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fanny pack, mini pack or backpack...thoughts?

I tend to go no bag because I hated having to go through bag check but with the new procedures that might not be an issue. You still have to take your phone out and put it in a plastic bag and in a tray and there are no longer any no bags lines.

Just to clarify, the new scanners mean you don't have to put anything in a tray at all. You just hold a few items like umbrellas, big cameras, sunglass cases, batteries, etc. out in front of you and walk on through. As long as nothing flags you never stop moving.

I started ditching a park bag the past couple trips so I could skip bag check, but this new system made it a breeze in December and I went back to bringing one every day.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post links, pictures, their thoughts, suggestions (and Bagles...thank you for a laugh). I think I have decided to not do the back pack no matter what and I never even THOUGHT of a cross bag. I'm the type of gal that my wallet goes in one front pocket and my phone either on my belt clip or in my pocket. I RARELY have a purse unless I'm going to a Dr appt and want to read a book (that I'll grab a purse big enough just to fit the current book I'm reading). So maybe I will pack the fanny pack and cross bag. I agree that the Mini won't be able to hold extra masks so it will more or less be useless to pack and bring! Thank you all once again!

I used a crossbody that converts to a fanny pack our last trip and it worked really well. First time I didn't use a backpack, and it was sooo nice.

I swear by this sling bag.

It can fit a surprising amount of stuff to be so small and still remains super light, stowing on rides is much less irritating than a backpack. It takes up hardly any room in my suitcase. The side pocket is card sized and that’s where I keep my ID, AP and a bit of cash (in the event computer systems are down and CCs can’t be accepted). I loop the clip strap through my Hydro Flask bottle and am completely hands free.

I use a fanny pack. I don't like the pull on my shoulders from crossbody or backpacks. I also don't like having to take my bag on and off. I'm into comfort. I don't need a ton of extra room but still want few things that are not comfortable fitting into pockets.

We are childless, but I feel I need to have things with me in the parks because we do not go back to the hotel (this is all pre-covid). There are two of us (myself and boyfriend), and I usually use a regular sized backpack and have water bottles, refillable mugs (we fill them on the way to/from the hotel each day, sometime I clip them on the outside), two square plastic ziploc containers for leftovers/desserts, hand/face wipes, sunscreen, glasses/contact solution, ponchos, extra phone charger, phone, wallet, bandaids, meds/pain relievers, hand lotion, water flavor sticks and/or tea bags, no-sugar sweetener of choice for tea, small baggies of snacks/trail mix, tissues, allergy cards/epi pen, frog-tog type towel if hot weather, extra ziplock gallon bags for whatever, extra socks. The backpack doubles as my purse when flying also. I don't find it's very heavy and don't mind stowing it on each ride. Here is the one I purchased a couple years ago and am still waiting to use when we (hopefully) go in November 2021!
MickeyBackPack.jpg

I have been carrying a full size backpack for SO many years but my youngest will be 9 on our next trip. We need so much less than in the little kid years. I’m daydreaming of a cute Lululemon fanny pack! I hadn’t thought about waters though. We usually all 4 have a refillable water bottle. Hmmmm. What do fanny pack or mini backpack fans do about water?

I have been carrying a full size backpack for SO many years but my youngest will be 9 on our next trip. We need so much less than in the little kid years. I’m daydreaming of a cute Lululemon fanny pack! I hadn’t thought about waters though. We usually all 4 have a refillable water bottle. Hmmmm. What do fanny pack or mini backpack fans do about water?
We mostly stick to the free cups of ice water available at QS locations. Sure, they don't taste great, but they are free, ice cold, and readily available (usually). When it is hot out, we usually get one each when we are thirsty, drink our fill, and then pour the rest on our necks. In pre-covid times, you could find them ready to go at the pickup area at most QS places. It is a little harder to find them now, but they are still available, you just have to ask.

My Vera Bradley mini crossbody is my go to "bag" for WDW. Perfect to hang across body so I do not have to hold onto it or fear losing it on a ride. Easily handles a comb, my phone, chapstick, Disney credit card, DVC Card, driver's license, and one time use poncho for the water rides if necessary. I actually have three different colors: black, navy, red.

View attachment 550215

It can fit a surprising amount of stuff to be so small and still remains super light, stowing on rides is much less irritating than a backpack. It takes up hardly any room in my suitcase. The side pocket is card sized and that’s where I keep my ID, AP and a bit of cash (in the event computer systems are down and CCs can’t be accepted). I loop the clip strap through my Hydro Flask bottle and am completely hands free.
@kylenne this looks great. Looks slightly bigger and a little more well-made than the one I have. (Does your Hydroflask fit inside?) Can you post the brand name? I can’t get the link to work.

Also @skeeter31 I just keep picturing a clown pulling one bagel after another out of his pocket 😝

@kylenne this looks great. Looks slightly bigger and a little more well-made than the one I have. (Does your Hydroflask fit inside?) Can you post the brand name? I can’t get the link to work.

Also @skeeter31 I just keep picturing a clown pulling one bagel after another out of his pocket 😝
Lol. I was going to edit it but I think it just works better as bagels now Instead of bagless.

Vera Bradley mini hipster cross body bag. holds my phone, portable phone charger, chapstick, wipes, sanitizer, cash. It's got enough pockets that I can put the phone in one, run the cable to the charger in another; very convenient.

View attachment 550215

For some reason, it won't let me follow your bag link

Consider: PHONE CASE WITH ZIPPERED POCKET.

Slim enough to fit in my pocket.
Light as a bracelet.
Secure zipper so cards never fall out.
Big enough to carry essential cards and bills.
Fast iPhone and camera access.
Has a clip that I can attach car keys or extra mask.

I hated going through bag check with my crossbody, wristlet, or small backpack.

Sure, sorry about that, I was on the train and I think the Amazon mobile app is weird about links. If this one doesn’t work just search for "Maleden sling bag" on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&th=1

The Hydroflask can fit inside, but mine is the wide mouth bottle so it it bulges awkwardly and doesn’t fit nicely with my other stuff. I prefer to hang it on the outside through the strap. I call it my Bag of Holding! It’s not waterproof just water resistant so keep that in mind for Florida storms. I usually throw my Columbia rain jacket on over it when it starts storming. (I have a packable one that fits perfectly in the sling)

Sure, sorry about that, I was on the train and I think the Amazon mobile app is weird about links. If this one doesn’t work just search for "Maleden sling bag" on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&th=1

The Hydroflask can fit inside, but mine is the wide mouth bottle so it it bulges awkwardly and doesn’t fit nicely with my other stuff. I prefer to hang it on the outside through the strap. I call it my Bag of Holding! It’s not waterproof just water resistant so keep that in mind for Florida storms. I usually throw my Columbia rain jacket on over it when it starts storming. (I have a packable one that fits perfectly in the sling)

That one worked perfectly, thank you! I just ordered a couple for an upcoming trip. I was worried about my teens and their cell phones. This will be perfect to carry phones without setting them down as well as jackets and the few extras we need during the day.

Last couple of trips we went in July/August. Needed to pack rain gear so used a backpack. Something that doesn’t cut into shoulders is the important thing I think. Or a larger fanny pack. We like to be hands free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter