Fantasmic Buffet, need advice

abby

Abby's Mom
We leave in one month and one day....I just can't decide if it is worth the money to do the fantasmic dessert thing. It's just me and my dd who is 5 and 1/2. She doesn't want to be too close as she is somewhat scared of some things (like the fire across the water) but is it really worth the money? and if we do it can we stay and see the fireworks from there? How good are the fireworks from there? We are staying 5 nights and fantasmic runs two of them and the fireworks for three of the nights we are there....what to do?

We did the balcony buffet in May and I would highly recommend it! Our DS who is 5 loved it. What really made it really worthwhile, however, was the fact that we didn't have to sit 2 hours before the show to save a seat. :sunny: Being the beginning of the 50th, I was really worried about the crowds, but with the reserved seating everything went smoothly.

As for the fireworks, you can view the majority of them from the balcony...the only drawback is that you won't feel the "surround effect" when they are launched from the different lands.

Although I agree w/ the previous post about not having to sit around for an hour or two before the show holding your watch spot, I have to disagree with whether the cost is worth it. My DM had never seen Fantasmic before and had only heard great things about the show, so she booked us the premium seating for 12/23...all 10 of us...you do the math! I almost passed out when I heard she had purchased these non-refundable tickets.

Yes, the view was good. No we didn't have to arrive too early for our seats (check-in one hour previous to show time). Dessert buffet was not what I expected. The chocolate dipped strawberries were good, but the rest was not much to write home about. Mickey shaped rice-crispy treats, jam filled sugar cookies, biscotti, and macaroons. For the price we paid, I was expecting succullent, divine, cruise-ship inspired desserts...or at least a slice of cheesecake. But no, just cookies and standard drink of our choice...water, hot cocoa, coffee, tea.

Also, we watched the 9:00pm performance and DS7 fell asleep after eating a cookie and missed the show entirely as well as DS3 who was already asleep when we arrived for check-in. DS17 is not too much into sweets and wouldn't eat anything either. So much for that $150ish bucks right there.

Sorry, I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend paying for the Premium seating.

Everything I've read about the Fantasmic! premium seating (dessert buffet) has been great - so far that is. And looking at pictures people have taken from the balcony I am definitely going to do it next summer. A great view and no waitng for HOURS to get a decent view?! Well worth it I'd say.

I did the Fantasmic buffet in October, and thought it was an ideal location to see the show, and it was nice not to have to stake out a spot hours early (the day I saw it, I remember seeing people with blankets spread out to stake there spot three or four hours early, something I know I wouldn't be willing to do.

It is pricey. I looked at it more as a treat for a one time thing than anything else. I figured it may be my only time at Disneyland, so I just sucked it up and paid the money. It was worth it, and the desserts were very good.

Karen

jltwdw said:
Although I agree w/ the previous post about not having to sit around for an hour or two before the show holding your watch spot, I have to disagree with whether the cost is worth it. My DM had never seen Fantasmic before and had only heard great things about the show, so she booked us the premium seating for 12/23...all 10 of us...you do the math! I almost passed out when I heard she had purchased these non-refundable tickets.

Yes, the view was good. No we didn't have to arrive too early for our seats (check-in one hour previous to show time). Dessert buffet was not what I expected. The chocolate dipped strawberries were good, but the rest was not much to write home about. Mickey shaped rice-crispy treats, jam filled sugar cookies, biscotti, and macaroons. For the price we paid, I was expecting succullent, divine, cruise-ship inspired desserts...or at least a slice of cheesecake. But no, just cookies and standard drink of our choice...water, hot cocoa, coffee, tea.

Also, we watched the 9:00pm performance and DS7 fell asleep after eating a cookie and missed the show entirely as well as DS3 who was already asleep when we arrived for check-in. DS17 is not too much into sweets and wouldn't eat anything either. So much for that $150ish bucks right there.

Sorry, I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend paying for the Premium seating.

Sounds like your Mom paid for the show. Instead of complaining about the cost I think I would have enjoyed the show even more. I think the cost is for the reserved seats and not for the dessert. The desserts are there to waste time while you are waiting for the show. I think it was extremely generous of your Mom to pay for 10 seats! :love:

We have waited the hour plus for the show at DL. We have seen the show in WDW several times. My DH bought 3 seats for us as a birthday present for me in a couple of weeks. I have not seen the show from the balcony before, so I am very excited. I will nibble on dessert and drink some tea, but the reserved seating will be very nice! We will try to stay for the fireworks. If the vantage point stinks we have two more nights to see the fireworks (which we will probably do anyway).

I think for a special occasion go for it! I would not pay the price for it every trip! We always try to do at least 1 very special thing while going to DL or WDW.

abby said:
We leave in one month and one day....I just can't decide if it is worth the money to do the fantasmic dessert thing. It's just me and my dd who is 5 and 1/2. She doesn't want to be too close as she is somewhat scared of some things (like the fire across the water) but is it really worth the money? and if we do it can we stay and see the fireworks from there? How good are the fireworks from there? We are staying 5 nights and fantasmic runs two of them and the fireworks for three of the nights we are there....what to do?
As others have said, the advantage to the buffet is knowing you have a good spot without waiting for hours. However, since there are only two of you, that probably won't be a problem. My husband and I went down along the water once (when it was just the two of us one crowded summer) only 15-20 minutes before the show, and managed to squish into a couple of bare spots with no problem. Since your daughter's young, she could sit on your lap, so that would demand even less space. That way, if she's scared (and it IS a scary show at times!) you haven't paid a pile of money, and you can get up and leave.

Just make sure you go all the way down to the area along the river where people are sitting. The CMs will tell you there's no room, but go anyway. Otherwise, you'll end up STANDING through the whole thing up on the sidewalk and your daughter won't be able to see at all.

My other piece of advice is if there are two shows an evening, and she can stay awake, go to the second one. It's WAY easier to get a seat.

As far as the fireworks go, you really should watch those from somewhere on Main Street so that you can see them against the castle. It's not hard to find a spot to stand and watch.

Another vote for seeing the fireworks from Main Street. My DD and I did the FDB in November and I agree it was nice to not have to claim a spot early, but that was a 1 time deal for us. It was fine, sure the view was good (we were on the 2nd row, so we were looking around the people in front of us), it was a lot of money though. We were staying on the concierge level at GC and most of the desserts were what we had been eating there. Do I regret doing it? Maybe a little, I just wasn't wowed like I thought I would be.

My DD and I will be at DL in June 2006. I am planning to book the reserved seats for us. There is no way that my DD will sit for hours waiting for a show to start. She does not require a wheelchair, or even handicapped accomodations, but she does have some physical limitations which would make it impossible for her to stand long enough for the show to get started and run. For me, if we are going to watch Fantasmic, I have no option but to purchase the reserved seating. I did consider the cheaper seating, but I thought if I was going to pay for a seat, I just as well get the balcony and buffet. I just think that it is too bad that DL does not have a nice theatre for Fantasmic like WDW does, so that everyone has a seat.

By the way, this is our first trip to DL, and we could not be more excited. If anyone has any advice on "must do and must see" activities, we would love to hear them.

The buffet is nice, and probably great to do once, but I enjoy sitting up by the water much more. You feel like you are part of the action and it is so much more magical than sitting in a theater.

Fireworks must be seen on Main Street at least once. There are so many effects taking place on the castle and around the hub. If you want to get there a little later, small world is also a great option. There are light effects they put on there as well. You will not be able to see tinkerbelle flying back and forth though.

I hope you have a great vacation Abby. Be sure to get ice cream on Main Street and sit and wait for the parade. If you have a favorite character, be sure to ask where that float stops. I LOVE Alice in Wonderland and always make sure I go where they will be dancing.

Another must see show, especially if you have children is Block Party Bash! It really is the hit of the 50th that shocked everyone! I see it every time I go to the park (just about every weekend) and it never gets old. The dancers are so talented.

In general, take advantage of any shows and characters you can see. The talent/looks out here are much better than anything you will find in Florida. There are such high standards set for the performers and face characters. You will be blown away!

Here is the key reason I didn't spring for FDB: my timid DS. If you have ANY concerns about your child and the show, don't pay $50 a seat you might have to abandon during the show. I know our son is timid (he doesn't like the Tiki Room, for crying out loud! :rolleyes: ) and I didn't want to either force him to stay or abandon seats I had paid that much money for. I don't mind splurging for special stuff, but that was a risk to me. I put that $50/seat into a character meal and souveniers instead. Maybe when he's older and will appreciate the show more. . .we'll see.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice, I think we will skip the FDB this year. My dd is somewhat timid and I am not ready to spend the money if she may not like it. You advice, both for and against helped me decide. thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter