Fantasmic Light Tower Trick

So does the tower go back down again before the second show? You can use this trick for the 10:30 if need be?
Yes. I was there on Wed Aug 5 and the tower was down for the late show until about 10 minutes before.

OK, after a number of trips to DLR to see Fantasmic I have never needed to use this trick. Earlier this week on Wed (Aug 5) we used the trick.

We wanted to see the 10:30 show. My family outing with my four teens kids turned into a group of 11 when my teen niece and nephew joined us plus three of their teen friends. The teens sounded like most would not come to Fantasmic so I was expecting to go there with a smaller group. At the last minute everyone decided to join me.

We made it to 10:30 Fantasmic show at 10:00. With our size group I was doubtful I could find any kind of decent spot as it looked pretty crowded down by the water. Based on past experience I bet I could have found a spot on the water if our group was smaller (5 or less?) but this night I did not even try. I walked down the rope walkway being assembled by the CMs and came to the middle light tower and decided that was our best option when it looked fairly clear.

There were maybe 5 people behind the tower at 10PM who obviously knew about the trick. We filled in around and between them. The size of the viewing area behind the tower is maybe 12-15 feet (3-5 meters) across.

At 10:20 the light tower went up and we had a pretty good view of the show from here with no people in front of us.

Be advised that the light tower does not offer a very good viewing area IMO. There is a post there for the tower itself, as well as lightpost near the water. As the middle water screen is right in front of you, you cannot see the entire water screen very well because of the tower post and the smaller lightpost.

I would recommend the light tower trick only as a last resort. Do not plan for it as your first choice and do not show up late on purpose with the idea of using this trick. Get a different spot if possible. It worked for us because of the size of our group.

If I could do it over and I knew I was going to have a group of 11 I would have tried harder to get there earlier to get a different spot.

The only time I have seen Fantasmic! was on my most recent trip in late July. It was extremely busy, the entire park was packed. We got to our spot behind the middle light tower about a half hour before the 10:30 show started. There were very rude people behind us that were trying to push their children in front of us so they could stand on the fence, so beware (probably the same deal everywhere though.) We had a good view for the show. I would definitely recommend it for those who don't care about the *best possible* view (the tower still obstructs things, and you are right behind the control panels for the show) and don't want to wait forever. If you really care about the best possible view, stake out a spot hours earlier or shell out for the dessert seating...really the only ways! If I were to watch Fantasmic! again, I'd probably use the light tower trick...it isn't worth it to me to use one of the other methods.

How much does the Fantasmic dessert seating cost, or is it included in something (package)? Any links to where I can find out more info?

So where are the best spots for viewing? I did the light tower thing both of the nights we were there and we loved it. :wizard:

The only time I have seen Fantasmic! was on my most recent trip in late July. It was extremely busy, the entire park was packed. We got to our spot behind the middle light tower about a half hour before the 10:30 show started. There were very rude people behind us that were trying to push their children in front of us so they could stand on the fence, so beware (probably the same deal everywhere though.) We had a good view for the show. I would definitely recommend it for those who don't care about the *best possible* view (the tower still obstructs things, and you are right behind the control panels for the show) and don't want to wait forever. If you really care about the best possible view, stake out a spot hours earlier or shell out for the dessert seating...really the only ways! If I were to watch Fantasmic! again, I'd probably use the light tower trick...it isn't worth it to me to use one of the other methods.
Of course you can stake out a spot hours early for the 9PM show. But you can't for the 10:30 show because of the earlier showing. :)

I have always found a good spot for the 10:30 show 40 minutes early. But Fantasmic seemed more crowded last week than in previous visits - maybe because of the updated show?

In any case, for others out there reading this be aware that the exodus of people from the 9:00 show at 9:20-9:30 just swamps Adventureland and Frontierland. Valiant CMs try to control this by setting up walking areas but there are lots and lots of people. I am no expert but if you want a really good spot for the 10:30 show I think your best bet is to hang out in NOS or Haunted Mansion or Splash and when the 9PM show ends make your way into the Fantasmic viewing area. You will be coming in behind the crowds as most everyone goes the opposite direction and exits towards the hub at the end of the show.

So where are the best spots for viewing? I did the light tower thing both of the nights we were there and we loved it. :wizard:
It depends. There are "sitting only" areas near the water in front and "standing only" areas further back. The light tower trick is a standing only area. In this case people want to get their kids forward so adults do nto block the view. So you have to stand your ground.

If all of your group are adults or older teenagers, then you can go just about anywhere because you are tall enough to be able to see from the standing only areas. I have never got a spot on the bridge over POTC but some people really like this standing only area because it is elevated. Other people like to stake a spot outside at the Riverbelle Terrace so they can have a seat (http://www.wdwinfo.com/Disneyland/dining-Disneyland-Park.htm#Frontierland)

If you have younger kids then IMO your only real option is to get in the sitting area down front because they are too short to see anywhere else. These spots fill up sooner - especially for the 9PM show. The better sitting spots are of course in the center but the ones to the sides are also very good because there are three "water screens" which show the projector images. Hence the water screens on the left and right show the projections to those sitting non-center.

Hi,
We are going to try to catch Fantasmic on our trip this year (Sept 20-25th). My question is this: we have 2 young girls (2.5 & 5 yrs old) and we have to have a seating area. I know that there are concrete "benches" that line the back of the walkway, opposite the fence next to the water. Do people sit on these or is it part of the "walkway" that the CMs make and are people not allowed to sit here.

Is it hard to see the show "through" the fence if we did stake out an early spot?

Hi,
We are going to try to catch Fantasmic on our trip this year (Sept 20-25th). My question is this: we have 2 young girls (2.5 & 5 yrs old) and we have to have a seating area. I know that there are concrete "benches" that line the back of the walkway, opposite the fence next to the water. Do people sit on these or is it part of the "walkway" that the CMs make and are people not allowed to sit here.

Is it hard to see the show "through" the fence if we did stake out an early spot?
I think you mean the concrete around the planters and visitors are not allowed to sit on these. If you want sitting with seats there is the paid dessert seating and the Riverbelle Terrace restaurant. If you can handle sitting on the ground then you want a spot near the water.

The better sitting spots are of course in the center but the ones to the sides are also very good because there are three "water screens" which show the projector images. Hence the water screens on the left and right show the projections to those sitting non-center.

Sorry, is this going to make sense to me when I get there. :eek: I haven't been to DL in a very long time and I am afraid that I won't know where the center is....but maybe it is something that is obvious when I get there.....
We are planning on the 10:30pm show on a Sat.

I know your post is over a year ago. But I was interested in the RiverBelle Terrace Restaurant. Can you really see Fantasmic from there?

I think you mean the concrete around the planters and visitors are not allowed to sit on these. If you want sitting with seats there is the paid dessert seating and the Riverbelle Terrace restaurant. If you can handle sitting on the ground then you want a spot near the water.

I know your post is over a year ago. But I was interested in the RiverBelle Terrace Restaurant. Can you really see Fantasmic from there?

Did you perhaps see a comment of mine that I made this afternoon?

Yes, you can see from river Belle Terrace is gives an alright view. There is a little obstrucation and you view from the far right. Just mind the trees and unbrellas that will be folded down. You want to sit near to the path that goes to the door and toward the rail that seperates it and the main walking path.

Even if you show up late it may be possible to grab chairs that are not used at tables and line them up at the head of some tables or in empty areas. I have done this and seen people do this at other times.

We used the light tower trick on our last trip at Christmas and it was perfect! Not only could we adults see fine even my DS6 had a great view from 48" tall. He also enjoyed watching the behind the scenes magic as the tech CM's got ready for the show in their "booth". We watched show from this spot on one of the busiest days of the week between Christmas & New Years (park closed sales that day) and not only did we get this spot right on the fence 15 minutes before showtime if we had needed to lift our son up on DH's shoulders we could have because there was noone behind us either and only one other family who knew this trick standing next to us. Another one knocked out of the park by the DIS! Thanks everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter