Fantasmic - Too Scary For Little Kids?

becka

<font color=green>Proud Mommy of sweet Nathan and
DH and I love Fantasmic and I would like to see it if possible during our next trip.

Our DS will only be 18 months but I was wondering if it was too intense for anyone's kids at that age?

All of your research will be done by March & then what are you going to do until November? :)

24 month old was fine, because he didn't understand anything scary then. 1 month later he learned about ghosts and monsters at halloween. It might be different for him now. BUT, he also calls bits of carpet fluff & insects "mosnters" so you never know!

We tried to sit at the end of the row towards the back for most shows. He was scared by Little Mermaid, but we didn't have to leave. We did leave Indiana Jones, because it seemed like he'd had enough & might start acting up soon. You just never know. :)

Did you decide on a stroller yet? :teeth:

There's a good chance that your little guy will be pooped out from the day and fall asleep before the show. Happened to us when DD#1 was that age.

No, when she was old enough to understand monsters, that show terrified her and she hid in mommies arms. Not enough to scare you into wanting to leave, but she was scared. She's ok with it now, but I dunno when that changed...

My chiropractor took his family and his son freaked out because he thought they killed Mickey, the poor kid was tramatized and then OK again when he saw Mickey alive and doing well. I think once they hit the age of understanding bad guys then you should worry a little.

Thanks for the advice.

I knew that some kids were scared of this type of show because of the villians but DS is my first and I really have no idea when those fears start showing up.

Gillian - I already have a stroller picked out...you must have me confused with someone else. :confused: I am asking a lot of questions now about how DS might react because I really don't want to plan a trip that DS will not enjoy. I had been many times before with just DH but planning a trip with kids is all new to me and I really have to change the way I normally plan. :)

I was going to try to make my comment clear - what I meant is that the stroller question will eventually pop up! A Disney stroller is different! :teeth:

I totally understand where you're coming from with all the questions. I was just teasting a bit because you're planning so far ahead :) We also were used to having all the fun ourselves & taking a child was totally new. Luckily, I was able to get answers to all of the same questions as you, right here on the DIS.

Some things I had planned on didn't quite work out. At 12 months DS LOVED characters. He was the only one who wanted to sit on Elmo's lap at a birthday party. 6 months later he started getting shy. And by 24 months he didn't want to go near the characters! It took a week of Disney for him to be able to approach Mickey.

OK I got ya but the stoller question was easy for me. We are driving and bringing our own. Those Disney stollers are hard and I think DS would be more comfortable in his own comfy padded stroller so he can sleep easier. ;) That one was easy ... ;)

We went a few years back with twins who were almost 2 and they were terrified. We actually ended up taking them up to the concession stand and buying them something to distract them while the rest of the group watched the end. Turned out that the 4 and 6 year olds were also terrified and had their heads turned the whole time. It was too bad they we didn't get to sit together because we could have all just left had we known the others were also having no fun.

My 19 month old daughter didn't have a clue what was going on, but my 6 and 8 year old both thought that it was kind of creepy at one point. In fact I even thought it was kind of creepy at one point! I'm not sure why the villaans have to be so big and in your face..I mean the whole show is really cool to watch and I think they could tone down the bad guys a bit without losing the interest of anyone...but that's just my opinion.

Chances are he won't follow the storyline, but it is **LOUD**. Really loud. I've seen four and five year olds freak out from the volume... the fire is kinda scary, too.

See how he reacts to big fireworks this summer. Sit near an end and be ready to roll.

By the way, speaking of strollers, you cannot take yours into the seating area. I'd leave it behind for this trip to MGM. As you're exiting the theater they have complimentary strollers for the walk out.

good luck,
Ronda

We took our DS 24 months to Fantasmic and DH had to leave with him. He was not scared, he hated the noise and it was loud. My then DD age 5 also was affected by how loud they were playing the music at Epcot and a few of the shows. That was in 11/99, we have been back several times since and things did not seem so loud. I hope this is not a problem for you, I really think that they have adjusted the sound to accomodate lower crowds.
A plus for us was that it was chilly weather and we were able to buy Mickey and Minnie earmuffs for them which helped a little. I brought along child ear plugs for the next trip but have never had to use them. Have a great time.

My DD has always been terrified of this show. Last trip, age 5, she had to be taken out. The noise and the intense villains. Also, the trauma of seeing Mickey in danger.

At 18 months, yours might not pick up on all that. But the loudness may very well be a problem.

We took our son when he was 19 months. Fantasmic was about the only thing he didn't like in the entire trip. The noise was pretty intense for him. We'll probably skip it next time.

becka:

Completely off topic, but the pictures of Nathan that you've been putting up are SOOOOOOOOOOOO adorable.

This latest one cracks me up. That kid is too cute for words :D :D :D

In 2001, we took our DD's and their families to Fantasmic. All of the little ones did fine. They ranged in age from 6 mos. to 4 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter