Fantasmic's Return?

dsnybear

Earning My Ears
I know at D23 they announced the return of Fantasmic, but was it announced when this would happen?

Okay, thanks. I was hoping it would open by March but it seems unlikely since no specific date was announced. Oh well.

Any more updated news or even rumors about this?
Will classify as RUMOR ...

Was there first week of June and spent several days with friend, former CM who still lives in area and all her friends are CMs, many in entertainment since that was her background.

She said she has friends who have been hired for the show and have been called for rehearsals many times but then had them cancelled. The situation explained to her was that they can not hire enough people to work the show. Many of the entertainment people decided to not return, working for low wages to put Disney on your resume doesn't seem to be the draw it once was. I don't think Fantasmic is an Equity job either, so pay is not great at all for the majority.

Even NEMO getting shows cancelled is because they haven't hired enough back up performers, and it's Equity. Imagine there is no point in opening if you haven't filled out all roles plus backups.

Was there first week of June and spent several days with friend, former CM who still lives in area and all her friends are CMs, many in entertainment since that was her background.

She said she has friends who have been hired for the show and have been called for rehearsals many times but then had them cancelled. The situation explained to her was that they can not hire enough people to work the show. Many of the entertainment people decided to not return, working for low wages to put Disney on your resume doesn't seem to be the draw it once was. I don't think Fantasmic is an Equity job either, so pay is not great at all for the majority.

Even NEMO getting shows cancelled is because they haven't hired enough back up performers, and it's Equity. Imagine there is no point in opening if you haven't filled out all roles plus backups.
this seems like a credible source, I assume you trust your friends explanation since you were kind enough to share with us, (I know it's technically a "rumor" since it's not Disney confirned) if it truly is the case that's very sad 😔 I'm really hoping it will be back for our trip in January

this seems like a credible source, I assume you trust your friends explanation since you were kind enough to share with us, (I know it's technically a "rumor" since it's not Disney confirned) if it truly is the case that's very sad 😔 I'm really hoping it will be back for our trip in January
Yes I trust her for sure, and I have to trust her friends as well. She has many years in at Disney with a wide network in the parks. She originally went for entertainment, I think her final position was VIP. During closure she found a much higher paying job that she has flourished in. We were at MK parade and one of her friends (friend of princess) was focusing on her, got some good photos, another gave my son an extra Genie+ time for one of his favorite rides. Kinda fun to be in parks with someone who knows so many people there.

And the reasoning makes sense. The venue has been worked on a long time, so sure it's ready. Disney has a hiring problem across the board and asking entertainers to work at such a low wage may be something of the past. Fantasmic not being Equity means very basic pay except for the few (stunts, Ariel ...) And the number of CMs needed in front of house is tremendous for this venue, do they have enough there to pull it off safely. I guess some could move there from Indiana and B&B BUT does that mean overtime pay that Disney doesn't want to pay?

It does sound like they are making a huge effort to be back to normal operations 1st Qtr 2023 (after October 1). Now what that means to them and us is a probably not the same. I hope it does mean fully staffing attractions so we can get these wait times down. If I have to make a reservation at a park (so they can staff it properly) then I want wait times that are reasonable.

Yes I trust her for sure, and I have to trust her friends as well. She has many years in at Disney with a wide network in the parks. She originally went for entertainment, I think her final position was VIP. During closure she found a much higher paying job that she has flourished in. We were at MK parade and one of her friends (friend of princess) was focusing on her, got some good photos, another gave my son an extra Genie+ time for one of his favorite rides. Kinda fun to be in parks with someone who knows so many people there.

And the reasoning makes sense. The venue has been worked on a long time, so sure it's ready. Disney has a hiring problem across the board and asking entertainers to work at such a low wage may be something of the past. Fantasmic not being Equity means very basic pay except for the few (stunts, Ariel ...) And the number of CMs needed in front of house is tremendous for this venue, do they have enough there to pull it off safely. I guess some could move there from Indiana and B&B BUT does that mean overtime pay that Disney doesn't want to pay?

It does sound like they are making a huge effort to be back to normal operations 1st Qtr 2023 (after October 1). Now what that means to them and us is a probably not the same. I hope it does mean fully staffing attractions so we can get these wait times down. If I have to make a reservation at a park (so they can staff it properly) then I want wait times that are reasonable.
Sadly this makes total sense. The labor shortage is very real--of course maybe if the CEO took a discount of his multi-million dollar per year paycheck, they could afford to pay enough to attract good labor.

We are hoping for this in September but all of the above makes sense. I don't know what will be different in September to suddenly create more employees. It will just be another "oh well" situation, but still watching and hoping. :flower1:

Makes me sad too! We were hoping to spend our last evening at a Fantasmic dinner package Since we can’t do MK as the Christmas Party is on that night and we have zero interest in ever doing that again.

I do miss seeing the show every now and then, but miss it and the Star Wars fireworks pulling everyone away from the attractions even more.

Sadly makes sense. As you noted, that show needs a large number of CMs in the show and just for the stands. With the labor shortage, that number will be difficult to get. Hoping it is open when we are there in October, but not counting on it.
Had not heard about Nemo shows being cancelled. That's too bad for a new show.

Sadly makes sense. As you noted, that show needs a large number of CMs in the show and just for the stands. With the labor shortage, that number will be difficult to get. Hoping it is open when we are there in October, but not counting on it.
Had not heard about Nemo shows being cancelled. That's too bad for a new show.
They had many days where they cancelled half the shows and was suggested to check schedule on arrival each day to know what schedule was. Was said "illness" caused them to be short staffed because they didn't have enough hired for backups. I think lately they have been doing the full 4 shows. That is an Equity show so those performers are paid more, likely making it easier to hire.

https://blogmickey.com/2022/06/disn...-next-week-as-performers-reportedly-fall-ill/

I do miss seeing the show every now and then, but miss it and the Star Wars fireworks pulling everyone away from the attractions even more.

Yes, we once rode Tower of Terror 13 times while everyone else was cramming into the early showing of Fantasmic.

Then those of us who waited could leisurely stroll into a half full amphitheater for the late show.

Those were the days.

But even now, the DHS lines still get really short in the evenings as there isn’t much to keep the crowd in the park late.

Those 10 or 15 minute waits for Rise of the Resistance are nice too.

Last edited:
I’ve seen it so many times that it would be nice if they changed it up just a little bit

The announcement said there would be a new show sequence and some of the newer characters sprinkled in there (can't have enough Elsa I guess).

I'm sure lighting and projection effects will be upgraded, but in the end I expect it will mostly be the show we remember.

The announcement said there would be a new show sequence and some of the newer characters sprinkled in there (can't have enough Elsa I guess).

I'm sure lighting and projection effects will be upgraded, but in the end I expect it will mostly be the show we remember.

I’d like a tad more firework type effects

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter