FAQ about the Disney Dining Plan

Atotty said:
jenndisney said:
Does my child still get an appetizer and dessert if they order from the child’s menu?
Yes they do. If there is not one on the kid’s menu, they can order from the adult’s menu.
Hi Jenn,

Where did you get this info? I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Thanks!
According to http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/packages/index.htm#mypd
"1 Table-Service meal including appetizer, entrée, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage and/or gratuity/service charge
1 Counter Service meal including entrée, dessert and single serving non-alcoholic beverage or 1 complete combo meal, dessert and single serving non-alcoholic beverage
1 Snack choice of a frozen ice cream bar or single serve popcorn or 20 oz. bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or 24 oz. bottle of Dasani water or medium size fountain drink
Children ages 3-9 must choose from children’s menu if available"

so this means they still get the items but if they aren't on the children's menu they can order an adult one.

We were able to order 3 adult appetizers plenty of times with our party of 2 Adults 1 kid age 5 and one kid not on plan.
As far as snacks at the food courts at resorts, basically you can try just about anything. We really were able to get tons of stuff there that you wouldn't be able to get elsewhere. Maybe that's cause they don't really have the popcorn, ice cream stuff that is listed?
Main Street Bakery pastries are part of the counter service, the snack items are the drinks, rice crispy treats, etc. For counter service there I was told any 2 items plus a drink is counter service. But to me this was a rip off as normally you get 3 items - say your burger, the fries AND a dessert. So, we paid for this out of pocket for that reason.
"Does anyone know if you don't use the child TS credit, can you use it as an adult TS credit? "

and
" what I want to know is can a parent and a child share one TS dining credit?"
they are all lumped into one account, so they don't know if they are kids or adult credits. BUT if you are having 3 people order, 3 credits will be taken off. If you have 4 people and the 3 yr old orders it will have to be off the kid's menu. If you have 4 people and the 3 yr old doesn't order but shares others, than you will only use 3 credits. This is one way to "stretch" the credits. You can share in any way you want, just make sure the server understands. They will either split the meal in the kitchen or bring you an empty plate.
"My Questions Is How Would They Be Able To Tell If He Should Order Off Of The Adult Or Children Menus"
it says on your room card - 2A 2 C or what ever the numbers are. But they don't take the room card till you are done eating, so... um... it might be a problem if you did the adult and didn't tell the server, you may end up having to pay for the kid's adult meal. But if there are no kid appetizers or desserts than the kid can order those from the adult menu. There were times my dh had dd's ice cream and she had a grown up dessert.
" but can you purchase the dining plan for a 2+year old?"
no reason to do so! There will be so much food, it will be fine. We were worried about this before our trip too. In the post linked below it describes how we did it.
"Hoop De Doo using my MYW plan "
They take the credit card number but don't charge it unless you are a no show. Tell them you are on the dining plan and they will just keep your number on file, when you go they take it off the plan.
"is McDonald's part of DDE? "
no, but there are a few places (outside Dinoland in Animal Kingdom for instance) where the McDonald's stand for fries is included I believe.
"one single serving non-alcoholic beverage", do they just mean shakes, etc?"
yes, it includes shakes, floats, fancy drinks like Hoist the Flag, etc. If the drink normally has a refilll like the shakes at Whispering Canyon Cafe, or a coke, than you get refills. If not normally a refillable item like the Hoist the Flag at Yacht Club Galley, or the Coke Float at 50s Prime Time Cafe, than no refills.
"when you go to a CS meal, how would they know one of your people is a child if you don't bring him/her to the counter"
EXACTLY! Order adult counter service when ever you want, they don't care. We only ordered kids ones if it was something they really wanted and there wasn't an adult option - say the Mickey Waffle.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=805780&page=1&pp=15 that was my review, covered tons of this stuff... so if you want specific examples check it out..
Nora

Thanks for the info. IT was very helpful and explains a lot. We are going in July and by then I hope to be a pro at all this. The more I read the more I learn. :love: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :teacher: :mickeybar

Great info on this thread.. let's keep it up :)...

STICKY, STICKY, STICKY...

This might be a silly question, but are the credits are your room card or is seperate card? Everytime you use it, do you receive a receipt with what you have remaining? Also, what do they consider dessert at Breakfast?
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

smt218 said:
This might be a silly question, but are the credits are your room card or is seperate card? Everytime you use it, do you receive a receipt with what you have remaining? Also, what do they consider dessert at Breakfast?
Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Yes the credits are on your room card & the receipt shows how many are remaining. Many have reported some errors so make sure you check it. From what I've read hear a dessert at breakfast has been a bagel, danish, fruit cup, etc.

Does anyone know if you don't have the charging privledges on a card (ie childs) can they still use it to pay for meals??

I may want to DS10 to be able to pay for a CS meal /snack, but DON'T want him to be able to walk into any store and BUY, BUY, BUY!! :)

your room key is the tickets to the parks, and your method of payment for the dining plan. They give you a receipt and at the top (guest count) it will say how many of the thing were used and at the bottom how many remain.

If you don't have the room key card chargeable, it will say that on there but you still use it for the dining plan to pay for covered items. If you want to pay for things not covered on the plan (like a frozen coke for instance) you would not be able to use the room key as it doesn't have charging privelidges, but would have to pay in some other manner (cash, disney rewards card, credit card).

Good Ol Gal said:
Does anyone know if you don't have the charging privledges on a card (ie childs) can they still use it to pay for meals??

I may want to DS10 to be able to pay for a CS meal /snack, but DON'T want him to be able to walk into any store and BUY, BUY, BUY!! :)

Your son would still be able to use it. We had the dining plan and could use anyone of our tickets to charge the meals and snacks. But on mine and my husbands, it said we had charge privelages. Our kids tickets did not have charging privelages so you will be okay. Have fun..

What if you have charging privileges & dining on your card? If I wanted to charge a drink to my card but don't want it coming out of my dining package, how do I insure this happens?

TIA!

hlane said:
What if you have charging privileges & dining on your card? If I wanted to charge a drink to my card but don't want it coming out of my dining package, how do I insure this happens?

TIA!

are you saying at a snack cart? Use your snack credits, trust me you won't run out. If it's not a snack cart type item than you will just tell them to charge it. Same with a meal, they would just have to know how to ring things, but totally doable.

Nora

Originally Posted by hlane

I do not think you will have a problem. I am sure it is a different computer system. Just tell the snack cart, CS, ect... you want to charge it. They will be able to do it. If not, you could always clear it up at the hotel guest services.

hlane said:

TIA!

not a problem- we did this many times last week...

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. It's GREAT!

I'm all for making this a sticky as it would definately cut down on the number of MYW Dining ?'s!

Awesome thread. Can you give some detail about the expiration date on your meals? I can't remember if your meals are available until you check out, or throughout the entire day of your checkout. For example, I'll be staying for 7 days/6 nights. You have meals for each night of your stay, right? Which gives each of us 6 TS meals. If I'm checking out on Saturday, and I still have a TS meal left, do I need to use it at breakfast Saturday morning before I check out? Or can I check out, spend a last few hours in the park, and use it at lunch on Saturday? If you can use them all day, this would be another reason to pay cash for the kid's meals and use "their" credits for adult TS and CS meals, since you'll have fewer meals than days.

all credits are good until midnite of the day you check out-- meaning the rest of the day after you check out...

yep, till midnight and again, you can (and should imo) always use the credits for counter service for adult meals. For instance - don't bother buying the tiny kid's chicken strips meal - buy the adult size meal and share it. Get fruit as your dessert and you have a really good filling meal that is plenty to share.

But yes, we actually had 2 meals worth of counter service left on the last day so used one for breakfast and the other for lunch. We took our leftovers from lunch to the airport with us and ate that while waiting for our flight. Worked out perfectly.

Nora

I have a question, does anyone know if the Maya Grill and PepperMarket @ CSR has been added on to the dining plan? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter