Fares went down for all cats... tax and port fee refund?

PrincessArlena'sDad

DIS Veteran
I was playing around with the fare tracker, and it looks like for all categories, the fare went down about $9 per person, regardless of age and whether there were 2 or 4 in the cabin. Our cruise is Jun 22, Fantasy.

Does this mean there's a tax/port free refund coming my way (I already paid in full)?

If so, will DCL or my TA (Costco) be notifying me? Touring plans said the decrease was on 2/16.

We used discounted gift cards to pay. If the refund comes to a gift card, will they tell me the gift card number it went back to (or at least the last numbers on it)?

Is it possible to call Costco to try and head it off, and have the money applied to our on board account?

Is it possible the fare actually went down a bit?

Thanks.

Our port fees went down and our ta was able to act quick enough to get the refund applied as OBC. But it can only be applied in whole dollars. So 12 cents still ended up being credited back to the gift card.

Our cruise went down $20 due to port fees I think. I just noticed a $20 credit on my credit card, I didn't have to ask or anything.

Hmm... my TA just looked but said that noting decreased on ours. Boo. I checked the touring plans website and saw a small decrease. But maybe because we booked on the day the cruise was released and the price has increased almost $600 since then.

Were you notified they went down?

We’ve never received official notification. If you want to have it applied to OBC, I suggest calling immediately (or I guess your TA). Otherwise if already paid-in-full DCL process it back to the last form of payment. If your TA calls, they should be able to find out which gift card, but I believe it has to be the TA who calls.

Enjoy your cruise.

I was playing around with the fare tracker, and it looks like for all categories, the fare went down about $9 per person, regardless of age and whether there were 2 or 4 in the cabin. Our cruise is Jun 22, Fantasy.

Does this mean there's a tax/port free refund coming my way (I already paid in full)?

If so, will DCL or my TA (Costco) be notifying me? Touring plans said the decrease was on 2/16.

We used discounted gift cards to pay. If the refund comes to a gift card, will they tell me the gift card number it went back to (or at least the last numbers on it)?

Is it possible to call Costco to try and head it off, and have the money applied to our on board account?

Thanks.

The refund would have been for taxes and would be per person in the stateroom showing as one refund amount. The refund would be applied to one of the forms of payment used automatically. You may want to ask your TA to call and find out which it went back to though. When it is found out which card it went back to, then the agent (or you) could ask that amount be applied to your Onboard account. Might as well have the agent do it right then and there while on the phone though.

Hmm... my TA just looked but said that noting decreased on ours. Boo. I checked the touring plans website and saw a small decrease. But maybe because we booked on the day the cruise was released and the price has increased almost $600 since then.

It is not on every sailing..some get reduction of taxes and some don't. The most efficient way to see if there was a refund would be to check your confirmations from original to most recent and check the totals. For example, first confirmation has the voyage fare, taxes, fees port expenses, gratuities, Insurance etc listed. Then it will have your total. Any updated confirmation will have the same information but you may notice a slight change on the line with taxes, fees port expenses.

I don’t recall being notified but I think that is because we went through the TA. One of the other people on the cruise posted on the Facebook group they recieved notification (I don’t believe they used a TA.) the ost said that port ffees went down and if we had already paid in full we should recieve a refund. That is when we emailed our TA to see if we would receive on too.

If you use a TA, the TA will get an email that seems to be random but in fact will have different pricing in the taxes,fees port expenses line.
Or if you have not paid in full yet, then the final amount due will be less than what the original displayed. It was already absorbed into your final amount owed.

I don’t recall being notified but I think that is because we went through the TA. One of the other people on the cruise posted on the Facebook group they recieved notification (I don’t believe they used a TA.) the ost said that port ffees went down and if we had already paid in full we should recieve a refund. That is when we emailed our TA to see if we would receive on too.

DCL sends out updated confirmation to all guests and if a TA is used to the TA. There will be a difference in the total amount owed from first confirmation to the most recent. Have to subtract the two amounts under taxes, fees and port expenses to find the amount of the refund. Some TA's don't check to see if there is a difference and are not sure WHY they are getting that random confirmation from DCL. :)

Looks like ours is showing a credit of $42.72 for a family of four on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Yay!

I have not PIF yet (can't book stuff until March 21) but I noticed my balance owed went down $21 for the two of us on the 6/19 Dream.

So I went on the costcotravel website, and for my booking it showed paid in full, but the amount was lower than I had paid by $46 and change. It had a zero balance, not a negative balance, even though I paid more than the package price.

I called Costco, and they put me on hold to call Disney. The money is going back to my gift card. The process started on 2/17, and they said it would take up to 10 business days or so to show up on the gift card.

They were able to give me the last 4 of the gift card it is going back to.

So I went on the costcotravel website, and for my booking it showed paid in full, but the amount was lower than I had paid by $46 and change. It had a zero balance, not a negative balance, even though I paid more than the package price.

I called Costco, and they put me on hold to call Disney. The money is going back to my gift card. The process started on 2/17, and they said it would take up to 10 business days or so to show up on the gift card.

They were able to give me the last 4 of the gift card it is going back to.
Did they give you an option to add to OBC? We paid with GCs and CC. Looks like it’s $32 less than the balance we paid. Strange that they don’t show a negative number.

Did they give you an option to add to OBC? We paid with GCs and CC. Looks like it’s $32 less than the balance we paid. Strange that they don’t show a negative number.

No they didn't. I meant to ask, but didn't. I did the call back option Costco has (it was a 30 minute wait), and when they called back, I was in the middle of something else, and I forgot about asking.

No they didn't. I meant to ask, but didn't. I did the call back option Costco has (it was a 30 minute wait), and when they called back, I was in the middle of something else, and I forgot about asking.
I called Costco today and at first the rep had no idea what I was talking about. After checking with a supervisor, she said she would call DCL to check. She came back to report they had given me a credit on January 26 on my CC ending in xxxx. I said I haven’t gotten any credits on my card and I don’t think I have a cc ending in xxxx. She double checked with DCL who apparently can’t see the whole number, just the beginning and end and said it must be a gift card because the first digits aren’t any of the standard cc numbers. Sure enough, I checked my GCs, found the right one and it had the credit. Sure wish either Costco or DCL had notified us.

Thanks.
Wow, we are on the same cruise. I did not know the price was reduced. My wife got this wild idea to pay for the cruise with Disney gift cards and she claims we saved over $800.00 so I guess that since she was having so much fun, this will be the way to go.

Could it be the sale going on? I think it is legit, I have seen a 20% off advertisement a lot lately on FB, unless it is a fake add.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter