Fashionistas….what is changing

From a man's perspective, women's butts look 1,000X better in low rise jeans compared to the high-wasted 90's look - even with a muffin top. The REAL low jeans don't really work either because pants can't shape the butt if half of it hangs out. They really need to button below the naval, but no need to go any lower.

Oh, and I suspect naval piercings play a role in keeping the jeans at least somewhat low.

:rotfl2:... always honest and practical!

I wear a lot of really tailored, classic clothes. I do change my pant silhouettes and shoes to keep up with fashion though.

As much as I dislike pantyhose, I think they make everyone's legs look better. My legs rarely tan, and I just went to a wedding last weekend with the whitest legs, which looked even whiter next to my black dress. If it wasn't for the fact that. I was wearing open tow sling backs I would have bit the bullet and put on the hose. I just couldn't do it with an open toes shoe.

Any chance that low-rise pants are going off into the sunset? I look and feel sooooo much better with a waist band that comes to at least my navel. Can't risk being ridiculed for wearing "mom jeans" though so I've just basically been avoiding pants altogether for the past 8 years. :sad1:

I don' t know if low rise jeans will disappear BUT I was shopping with my teen in Aeropostal :crazy2: and they had "high waisted" jeans and I have also seen 20 something wearing a modern version of those genie type pants I can't remember what they were called.

I am glad I have the option of going without hose OR wearing it because I have a pair of legs that could blind you they are so white!

Lisa

The Seasons. The too short short-shorts are being replaced with too tight leggings. I'm guessing the two may be paired and worn together before the snow starts falling. ;)

I don' t know if low rise jeans will disappear BUT I was shopping with my teen in Aeropostal :crazy2: and they had "high waisted" jeans and I have also seen 20 something wearing a modern version of those genie type pants I can't remember what they were called.

I am glad I have the option of going without hose OR wearing it because I have a pair of legs that could blind you they are so white!

Lisa

Harem pants...oh how I loved them! But alas, the comeback is a little too late for me - they didn't work on 40-something's that first time and I don't expect they will now either. :wave2:

From a man's perspective, women's butts look 1,000X better in low rise jeans compared to the high-wasted 90's look - even with a muffin top. The REAL low jeans don't really work either because pants can't shape the butt if half of it hangs out. They really need to button below the naval, but no need to go any lower.

Oh, and I suspect naval piercings play a role in keeping the jeans at least somewhat low.

I agree with Gumbo4x4, and I'm a mid-40s woman! I can't stand the look of high-waisted jeans on myself or anyone else. I do have a muffin top (not too bad, but I hate it!!) and I still think I look better in a mid-rise (just below the belly button). I recently cleaned out my closet and tried on my old mom-jeans and I couldn't get them off fast enough! Yuck!! And even with an untucked shirt covering the waist, they still look bad. I've noticed high-waisted jeans being advertised and I am very scared and wondering if I need to start hoarding the mid-rise style!

I love this thread! In November we are attending a wedding for the first time in years. I already bought a new dress and was planning on wearing some sheer black hose with it. There was just no way my 50 year old legs were going to look nice without them. But I feel better knowing there are others who are back to wearing them!

I agree with Gumbo4x4, and I'm a mid-40s woman! I can't stand the look of high-waisted jeans on myself or anyone else. I do have a muffin top (not too bad, but I hate it!!) and I still think I look better in a mid-rise (just below the belly button). I recently cleaned out my closet and tried on my old mom-jeans and I couldn't get them off fast enough! Yuck!! And even with an untucked shirt covering the waist, they still look bad. I've noticed high-waisted jeans being advertised and I am very scared and wondering if I need to start hoarding the mid-rise style!

I agree and feel ok in mid-rise. I can hide my squishiness with the right shirts or sweaters. My legs are also ghostly white and I will consider wearing dresses again now that hose are back. Before I'd either wear tall boots w/a skirt or just pants. I do love maxi skirts - so easy not to have to worry about my legs.

DD14 has an adorable pair of high waisted shorts. Of course, she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her and can wear them with a cute crop top with a super toned stomach. I, on the other hand, do not meet those criteria and don't want to wear mom jeans again. :rotfl:

I loved those harem pants the first time around years ago but won't wear them again now.

I just wish I could sneak into Mrs. Tex's closet and burn all of her mom jeans and baggy jumpers. I'd be sleeping on the back porch (WAY past a couch offense) for at least a month, but it would be worth it. :thumbsup2

I just wish I could sneak into Mrs. Tex's closet and burn all of her mom jeans and baggy jumpers. I'd be sleeping on the back porch (WAY past a couch offense) for at least a month, but it would be worth it. :thumbsup2

Try a different approach. Check the tags of her present wardrobe so you're sure** of the size. Then go shopping for some of the kind of things you'd like to see her in (presuming it doesn't include studded leather, feathers, etc. :lmao:). Then give them to her as a gift because "she deserves it"! :flower3:

**blow the sizing and the entire gesture goes out the window. Too big and she'll think you think she's fat, too small and she'll just feel bad in general. ;)

I could live without the 3/4 sleeve thing that's been around for a couple if years now.

Yes, let's stop the sleeve at the widest part of my body, the waist/stomach area, so as to draw MORE attention there.

The high-waisted jeans of today are not the same as the ones from the 80s. Those jeans had no lycra in them, they were not shaped well through the rear, and the legs were kind of baggy (mom jeans). The ones I am seeing out there don't remotely resemble them and they seem to go well with specific types of blouses, not the plain cotton kind.

I think the new "high waisted" jeans aren't overly designed for old ladies (but then again, nothing is!!!;)) and I've seen many young girls wear the high-waisted shorts with the kimono tops and it looks cute.

Agreed. I definitely need my pants to button below my navel, and they really do look better. You just have to pair them with the right tops so that the "muffin top look" doesn't happen. I am very conscious of having the flattest looking tummy possible, so I can tell you there are definitely ways to achieve a good silhouette even in lower-waisted (mid-rise) jeans.

And IMO if you have an uncomfortable muffin top then you're wearing the wrong size or shape for your body. Mid-rise pants come in many shapes - there is one out there to fit MOST people. And you have to get the right SIZE - don't try to squeeze into something too small!

And I am so happy I live in a tropical country where almost no-one wears hose. Hate it!

for women's jeans, Lucky Brand jeans are wonderful!

They have various rises so you can find what is comfortable for you, they stretch just a bit, but don't look like stretch jeans that show every bump/bulge.

I'm 46 and they're my favorite jeans I've ever owned. And I get compliments on them from other women all the time. Not cheap, but very worth the money (I usually get them for $60 on sale).

And some of us can't wear hose because we have sensitive skin and would itch all day.

I also have a very high waist and no torso. At least lower waisted jeans have a chance of fitting me at the hip rather than producing horrible camel toe.

Interesting. I have a ridiculously high waist and no torso and I cannot wear low rise pants. I mean I go right from breasts to hips LOL! I will be very happy to see low slung jeans go the way of the Dodo. Every pair of jeans I own comes up to my belly button. I'm cool with it because I do not EVER wear my shirts tucked in so my waistband is hidden and I am able to avoid the dreaded Urkel or mom jeans look.

Also, despite having lost almost 50 pounds, still have a chubby middle and literally NO lower rise jeans (nor most mid rise) look good on me. If I go up to a size where they aren't tight at all on my tummy, then they are 4 sizes too big in the legs. I'll just stick to my jeans that I already love that come up to my belly button and I don't have to be creative with my shirts to hide a muffin top, because there isn't one.

I am 36 and live on the east coast and have yet to see any of these mysterious east coasters wearing pantyhose. They are still wayyyy out here unless you're over the age of 50.

I just saw a great picture of Kendall Jenner this morning wearing the fancy dress/leather jacket combo. I really liked it. She could remove the jacket inside and up the elegance or keep it on and make her look more edgy.

Top of jeans ~gasp~ABOVE my belly button! Booty still lookin good! LOL!
xNdGjW0.jpg

I could live without the 3/4 sleeve thing that's been around for a couple if years now.

Yes, let's stop the sleeve at the widest part of my body, the waist/stomach area, so as to draw MORE attention there.

LOL! 3/4 sleeve is my all time favorite. I don't have to be in full on long sleeves when it is warmer out but, my elbows which I HATE HATE HATE are still covered! I'd wager 90% of the shirts in my closet have 3/4 length sleeves.

Interesting. I have a ridiculously high waist and no torso and I cannot wear low rise pants. I mean I go right from breasts to hips LOL! I will be very happy to see low slung jeans go the way of the Dodo. Every pair of jeans I own comes up to my belly button. I'm cool with it because I do not EVER wear my shirts tucked in so my waistband is hidden and I am able to avoid the dreaded Urkel or mom jeans look.

Also, despite having lost almost 50 pounds, still have a chubby middle and literally NO lower rise jeans (nor most mid rise) look good on me. If I go up to a size where they aren't tight at all on my tummy, then they are 4 sizes too big in the legs. I'll just stick to my jeans that I already love that come up to my belly button and I don't have to be creative with my shirts to hide a muffin top, because there isn't one.

I am 36 and live on the east coast and have yet to see any of these mysterious east coasters wearing pantyhose. They are still wayyyy out here unless you're over the age of 50.

I just saw a great picture of Kendall Jenner this morning wearing the fancy dress/leather jacket combo. I really liked it. She could remove the jacket inside and up the elegance or keep it on and make her look more edgy.

I still think once some of those ladies (regardless of age) get a good look of how their bare legs/knees look in photographs, they may be shopping for some nice quality hosiery. ;)

And IMO if you have an uncomfortable muffin top then you're wearing the wrong size or shape for your body. Mid-rise pants come in many shapes - there is one out there to fit MOST people. And you have to get the right SIZE - don't try to squeeze into something too small!

And that's the main reason why so many females have muffin top - they are squeezing themselves into jeans far too small for their bodies bc it is the "style."

I was recently just in a fitting room at American Eagle and the salesgirl was trying to talk me into going DOWN a size when I was hedging about the size I was currently trying on being too snug and wanting to go UP a size. But she kept saying no, you want them very snug. Yeah right....

As another poster mentioned, the higher waisted jeans they are selling now are nothing like the old mom jeans which were tight in the waist but baggy in the rear and gave a pouch in the front. Not flattering on anyone. The newer ones are much more fitted but with a slight bit of stretch, so not only are they comfortable, they also give you a thin silhouette. I bought a pair, as well as my 20 year old DD - we're both happy with them. And my DH, who is a clothes horse and a fashionista himself, thinks they look great on me. So, try on a pair, what do you have to lose?

As far as what East Coasters are wearing stockings, they've been very big in NYC for the last few years. And, now that the weather is getting cooler, you see them all over Madison and Fifth Avenues. And, if you buy one of the more popular brands like Fogal, one pair of beautiful sheer stockings will set you back about $40!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter