• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fastest method to get from MK post-fireworks to Port Orleans resort

Disneymom1102

Mouseketeer
Hi there,
I'm curious what is absolute fastest way to get back to Port Orleans resort from MK after the fireworks show? A year ago did the monorail to transportation and ticketing center then drove back but the wait to get a monorail took FOREVER! I'll be 8 months pregnant with a toddler in tow so hoping there is a faster way! TIA!

Walk to Contemporary and Uber. It's maybe 7 minutes. Uber picks up right in front of the resort but with traffic at close you might still take at least 20 minutes to get to Riverside.

Or just take the Disney bus. It might take a while after the fireworks but unfortunately there isn't a lot better options.

I don't think there is a great way. Watch from the flag pole or train station, so you can get out quick, and take the bus.

Are you French Quarter or Riverside? FQ buses are always less crowded. We have taken a FQ bus and walked back to Riverside. I'm assuming in your situation, you don't want to walk any extra. If you'll have a car, you could park near the FQ bus stop, take the bus from FQ to MK, then after the fireworks take the bus back from MK to FQ, and then drive back to your room.

Watch the show from as close to the exit as you can get whiie still seeing the castle. You'll know it's the grand finale when it happens, but cut out before all the fireworks go off. After you get through the exit tunnel, head toward the left. There are resort buses past the ferry boat dock. Look for the POR number and go to that section. The bus you catch there will take you directly to the resort.

Watch the show from as close to the exit as you can get whiie still seeing the castle. You'll know it's the grand finale when it happens, but cut out before all the fireworks go off. After you get through the exit tunnel, head toward the left. There are resort buses past the ferry boat dock. Look for the POR number and go to that section. The bus you catch there will take you directly to the resort.

Thanks! Are the buses typically waiting there following the fireworks show since so many people are leaving at that time? Or would we potentially have to wait 20 minutes for the bus to POR to come around again?

Our son lives in an apartment north of Disney Springs. Last week we watched the Happily Ever After from the top deck of the train station. As the last shells were firing we started to move towards the exit. We then boarded the first monorail, hopped on a tram, and drove back to his apartment. The total time from the last shell to walking into the apartment was 32 minutes. The only problem with watching the fireworks from the train station is that since the show has so projection dependent, it's not as easy to make out the details from the distance of the train station.

Thanks! Are the buses typically waiting there following the fireworks show since so many people are leaving at that time? Or would we potentially have to wait 20 minutes for the bus to POR to come around again?

There will be buses queued up.
They fill nearly instantly, however.
Thousands of guests exit DURING the fireworks, so you actually won't gain a major amount of time by exiting after the show.

Many experienced guests don't exit during or right after the fireworks, but instead, just find a comfy place to sit and let the pushers and shovers fight their way out.
Then, after the harried madhouse subsides, those who waited it out stroll to the buses and
ride "home."

We always wait it out on a bench or do more rides/shopping to let some of the crowds settle down for about 30 minutes. Then head for the buses. There will still be a slow moving line but there is no way around that. Once you get on the bus (and hopefully a good person will give you a seat!) it is only a 8-10 minute ride.

I don't like trying to rush out before the fireworks because I like to enjoy them rather than worrying about the next thing. Just my personal preference.

Many experienced guests don't exit during or right after the fireworks, but instead, just find a comfy place to sit and let the pushers and shovers fight their way out.
Then, after the harried madhouse subsides, those who waited it out stroll to the buses and
ride "home."

So true! Last year after MSEP, we went to the candy store on Main Street and bought a candy apple and chocolate dipped pineapple spear. Freshened up in the restroom, then had a leisurely ride back to our resort. So much better than fighting the crowds.

That's what we do.

One trip we took the bus directly after the fireworks. From turning and walking to getting off the bus (POFQ) was 47min. About 30 of that waiting for the bus.
The next one we headed INTO Liberty Square, got some snacks, did some people watching and THEN headed to the bus. Total time from end of fireworks to resort - 55 minutes. We waited for the bus for less then 5 minutes.

Sit on a bench after fireworks and soak up the atmosphere for an hour or so. Bring a light blanket and let the 2 year old snooze. After the crowds thin, head to the bus and hop on a nice, quiet, a/c bus. Voila!

Honestly - it is what we have always done. We grab a bench when the exodus starts. After the section we are in clears, we move closer to the busses. Then grab another bench until the lines are manageable. We all love this strategy. So much better than fighting the masses for a place in line.

Assuming for a second that we decided to leave right as the fireworks are ending and were watching from the train platform, would it usually be faster to catch a bus to Port Orleans or take monorail to TTC and drive our car back?

Assuming for a second that we decided to leave right as the fireworks are ending and were watching from the train platform, would it usually be faster to catch a bus to Port Orleans or take monorail to TTC and drive our car back?

Walking to Contemporary then taking an Uber is going to be the quickest option.

The direct bus is the way to go. Too many variables with the monorail and the parking tram.

There will be buses queued up.
They fill nearly instantly, however.
Thousands of guests exit DURING the fireworks, so you actually won't gain a major amount of time by exiting after the show.

ride "home."
Yep, that is what we do. Take a seat and people watch until the crowd dies down.

Faster probably to take the bus. My sisters and I watched from under the train station in April and high tailed it out right after and saw a bus waiting so took off running for it. Made it and we were at the BWI lounge enjoying drinks and dessert a short time later

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter