Fastpass Day Disappointment

I've been monitoring FP availability to help me decide what order to try for FPs in. I noticed that most days less than 60 7DMT is already gone, but Oct 26, 28, and 30th still have some available. Turns out those are the non-party days that week, when there are hours more FPs available. So for people surprised about how hard 7DMT has been to get, all the parties seem to be playing a role.

We did an August trip and I wasn’t able to get FOP or SDD at all which really surprised me. Never was able to modify them so we ended up riding both at park close.

I was able to get FOP for our October trip - we had a really small window to get it in the morning of 60+4 and I was honestly shocked to get it after my August experience.

Our last 4 trips (Memorial Day weekend in May, July, mid-August, Columbus Day weekend in October) have been 2-4 nights, and Slinky and FoP have been really hard to get at 60 days, even checking for our last day. I've never had this much of a problem getting FPs with onsite stays. I am fairly certain it has to do with the large quantity of non Disney-owned resorts (AKA, "good neighbor" / Disney Springs resorts) that now get 60 days FPs. They've diluted this perk and I see its effects.

Wait. What? The “good neighbor” hotels get fast passes now too? How did I miss this happening? When did this happen?

I came back from a 10 day trip about a week ago. Never got SDD and the lines were always over 90 minutes when we passed by. Maybe now they will be shortened due to the opening of GE, but it will be 2 more years before I find out :(

Booked mine today for quick W&D runcation

Didn’t get FOP but I doubted I’d get that on 60+1 though my sister will try pounding the app between now/November

Clicked on a 430 slinky on 60+3 and it popped up no longer available and it gave me 505 a bit later then we wanted as we still have to drive home but....

(Also got FEA at 60 and Mine Train 60+2)

We have been to WDW numerous times. The last two trip have been in August (2016 and 2019).

I found this year was the hardest to get the big rides and-or at good times.

I am sure there is an obvious reason for this that I don’t know of.

The 60 days out mark is for Disney Resort guests, but I have heard the “Disney Resort” eligibility has been extended to a lot of other resorts/hotels as well. Not just the Disney Property ones.

If that’s the case it’s an easy explanation why there feels to be less and less FP

Things are always shifting based on what’s going on at any given moment 60 days out and lots of other factors. Results from today (60 days out is Thurs 10/31 and that weekend is F&W Half):

FoP 60+3 (starting mid afternoon)

7DMT 60+2 (60 and 61 are party days, FWIW)

SDD 60+3 (starting late day)

I would have taken the 3:30 SDD and been happy with it, or if something was open later than that. tried to snag one to get to ride at night when everything is all lit up. People make too big of a deal about the morning fast passes. The reality is that, if the park is going to be that crowded, then the likelihood of snagging a decent 4th FP or more the day of is remote. Rope drop touring of attractions you were unable to fast pass is a very effective strategy. Fill your mid-day with FPs and shows, and then do some end of night touring of medium to low priority attractions

Take what FP times you grab and build an effective strategy around it. And stick with it. A good strategy will trump all. Even if you are able to get that cherished morning FP at some point before you go, you would then need to change all your plans and risk something else not working. All for the opportunity for an extra day-of FP on another attraction that might not even be available or fit into your schedule when it is available.

My first trip in years where I’m not staying on property and pretty much going to assume I’m not going to find 7DMT fast passes for my Magic Kingdom day in early November. Planning 1 non-party day and 1 MVMCP day so worst case I guess We can do 7DMT during a lull in the party.

Also, has Frozen FastPass craziness died down yet? That is the other one I’m worried about.

Paid FastPasses are coming, I can see it now. If nothing for Disney to make extra money without raising ticket prices and give people the option to guarantee FPs for the rides they want. And people will pay it...

I would have taken the 3:30 SDD and been happy with it, or if something was open later than that. tried to snag one to get to ride at night when everything is all lit up. People make too big of a deal about the morning fast passes. The reality is that, if the park is going to be that crowded, then the likelihood of snagging a decent 4th FP or more the day of is remote. Rope drop touring of attractions you were unable to fast pass is a very effective strategy. Fill your mid-day with FPs and shows, and then do some end of night touring of medium to low priority attractions

Take what FP times you grab and build an effective strategy around it. And stick with it. A good strategy will trump all. Even if you are able to get that cherished morning FP at some point before you go, you would then need to change all your plans and risk something else not working. All for the opportunity for an extra day-of FP on another attraction that might not even be available or fit into your schedule when it is available.

I think you missed the point. I did take it. I am not complaining about my fastpasses in the slightest, I am just saying I am disappointed in what I got, because in the past it has not been this difficult and that was fall after some of these rides opened. I just am a little confused on what is so different this year than even just last year. I wasn't expecting this. I have been able to get great 4th FPs in years past when I never thought was possible. I would rather get the morning FP because I can at least try for a good 4th FP whether I get it or not doesn't matter. Honestly, most of our plans are at night anyways and therefore I wouldn't have to change around any plans if I got a morning FP. I never plan my mornings or early afternoons cause i am able to be flexible and it is easier for me to stick to a plan at night and that way I can enjoy my nighttime entertainment.

Keep checking! Check every time you think about it. I totally spaced on my FP day one year, and didn’t get to it until later in the day. I was super bummed, but over the course of the following week, I was able to modify and get what I wanted.

Do either of the kids like Epcot? Maybe split up and one parent do Epcot in the morning with one kiddo and the other MK with the other kiddo and meet up for the party.

Do either of the kids like Epcot? Maybe split up and one parent do Epcot in the morning with one kiddo and the other MK with the other kiddo and meet up for the party.

No kiddos for us and no party for us. All young adults 21-26. That would have been a good plan though had we had kids. We are traveling with 3 others who will be meeting us off and on for the trip. We are totally fine with how we got it because we don't mind being at the parks late and will probably try to just hit 7DMT last before party starts and we have to leave. We also have another half day at MK at night before our last day so I am thinking maybe we can get it as a 4th (We used our FP in AK that day for FOP). I've usually had pretty good luck with 4th, 5th, 6th FP before so hoping that continues.

Keep checking! Check every time you think about it. I totally spaced on my FP day one year, and didn’t get to it until later in the day. I was super bummed, but over the course of the following week, I was able to modify and get what I wanted.
On my most recent trips, when looking at FP booking 60ish days out, I've had little luck changing anything. Once when park hours changed, I was able to change 1 FP, but that was about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter