• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fastpass Enforcement coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had the time to read all the posts on this thread, but I don't right now. I wish I knew about the FP window and how it doesn't mean you should return in that time frame. If I would have known, I would have taken advantage of it many times. It all seems shady to me how they would secretly tell you that returning later is encouraged. I've never once heard that out of the many years that FP has been available. I guess it's just for disboards people?

To be honest, it looks as though Disney officially said that their policy was that FP windows were to be adhered to, based on recent communications to CM's. On the other hand, they also allowed CM's and other characters to broadcast that it is allowed. (as witnessed by the youtube videos linked earlier for example) So the problem is that no matter which side you are on, staying in the FP window or not, both sides have ammunition to say they are right that policy existed that allowed either opton.

Either way, it looks like change is coming to the FP window allowance, although I wish it wasn't.

Dan

I am very glad they went to the $10 charge for a no show on reservations. Made it much easier for me to get dining reservation this trip since we didn't decide to go until we were already inside the 180 window. They should have done that a long time ago. As far as FP goes I'm sure we will all adjust to it.

You may just be in the minority --

I predict the $10 cancel fee will disappear within 3-5 years.

As for the FP -- the rumors that there will be some sort of "xpass" will work just fine for our family. We'll pay the $$$ so we can do what we want and not leave it up to chance, disappointment and long lines. It's a great idea that many folks will take advantage of. Time is money, after all.

The way I'm reading the info is related to how I perceive the policy of accepting late FPs. It was essentially an "unofficial" policy to accept late FPs, regardless of why someone would use it late. It seems that CMs were supposed to enforce the return times and if a circumstance (late ADR, ride breakdown, etc.) led to a guest being late it was ok to accept that late FP. As I see it, the policy was never meant for accepting late FPs simply because guests didn't want to use the FP during the return time.

Makes sense.

I also find it interesting about having an effective date (as I believe has been commented on already) which does seem to contradict that this is not a policy change. I do think it is related to what is coming next and not because of supposed abuse of the system.

What I hope that this enforcement does is that it will encourage the average guest (not necessarily the ones who frequent these boards) to actually pay attention to the return time compared to the posted standby wait time to determine whether it is necessary to get a FP. In my experience, lots of guests get a FP simply because the attraction has a FP, even if the attraction has no wait. Example: Jungle Cruise was walk-on around 2-2:30 the other day. It was amusing to see people using their FPs and they were basically the only ones in the queue. It's also frustrating when there are guests who get the FP and ask to use it early because they have to catch a flight and "this was the one attraction I have to do before we leave." I hope also that this enforcement policy will be posted in prominant places (like the park maps, which has streamlined too much how FP works) so that the average guests will be aware of it, even though most guests do use the FP in the window.

I do want to point out that this thread is making me very nervous for when I as a CM have to deal with the consequences of the enforcement. It's bad enough when I enforce the start time. :eek: :headache:

Hopefully they will put some eye catching signs by the FP distribution that will tell the guests they need to return within the window they are given, that way there won't be any arguing when they are denied. Also, have a sign by the FP entrance that states the rules so the CM's won't have to explain them to angry guests, just point them to the sign.

:thumbsup2

You may just be in the minority --

I predict the $10 cancel fee will disappear within 3-5 years.

As for the FP -- the rumors that there will be some sort of "xpass" will work just fine for our family. We'll pay the $$$ so we can do what we want and not leave it up to chance, disappointment and long lines. It's a great idea that many folks will take advantage of. Time is money, after all.

Really? I don't like the idea of paying to get ahead in the line. I like the fastpass system the way it is now - free, and if you've done your research you get ahead in lines, not just because you have a bigger budget than others.

Maybe I'm just saying this because Universal has that system and most of us here have a *slight* bias against Universal ;)

We have a CM in the family and while they don't divulge everything, from what I am understanding:

Fast pass will exist as it, with the exception that the times are to be strictly watched and you will need to return during the time because of the addition of Gen X.....

......Training on the new system starts next week.

My relative did state that CM's would no longer be able to just pass through with an excuse, or suffer getting in trouble. I took it to believe in the beginning managers will be at the station and after a certain amount of time a supervisor would be needed to over-ride for a period of time, then it would be back to the CM handling the situation like it is now, just no "exception" will be accepted.

I hope to know more the beginning of next week. I will pass it on as I hear from them.

I'd be interested in knowing if the restaurants are going to have some means of allowing a late FP to be honored if, through no fault of the guest, the restaurant has slow service, problem honoring the ADR within 15 minutes, etc. etc.

There are some FP's that are hard to obtain - like TSM, Soarin - and I don't think a guest should have to choose between taking a FP or honoring their ADR they've made 180 days in advance.

How would you know that your LeCellier ADR might conflict with the only FP you could get for Soarin? Or your Brown Derby Fantasmic meal conflicts with the only FP you could get for TSM?

Of course you can opt to NOT take the FP, but if it's your only day in the park it's a tough choice to forego a not to miss attraction just because you have a dinner reservation. I suppose one could opt to NOT make ADR's and simply do counter services, then you would be assured of not having such conflict.

It just seems a little silly to get so anal about a FP return IMO. I'm really surprised at how hot people are getting over this debate :confused3

But why force people to have to make this choice?

With the current system you never have to make choices, - you get to do both (at the detriment of noone) and you only have to pay attention to when you are eligible for your next FP. I'm confident I can wing it in any park and out ride any pre-arranged plan. This change totally ruins that and it's disappointing. What it does is limit those of us that know how to get around the parks and it's for sure going to mean less riding for us.

I'm thinking because not enforcing it was causing problems. That's the only thing I can think of. IMO (and this is just my take on it) Disney is the king of not enforcing the rules they do have and for them to now actively let folks know that they are beginning to enforce a change means.

1) either they've taken the heat from a lot of disgruntled guest
2) introducing this ahead of another change that will bring in some extra revenue.

While it may limit those of you (and you maybe in the minority) it may create an appearance of not following rules to others.

Once again this is my take on it, and my crystal ball is about as good as anyones else. I really don't know but I do know disney rarely does any thing without provocation.

I'd be interested in knowing if the restaurants are going to have some means of allowing a late FP to be honored if, through no fault of the guest, the restaurant has slow service, problem honoring the ADR within 15 minutes, etc. etc.

There are some FP's that are hard to obtain - like TSM, Soarin - and I don't think a guest should have to choose between taking a FP or honoring their ADR they've made 180 days in advance.

How would you know that your LeCellier ADR might conflict with the only FP you could get for Soarin? Or your Brown Derby Fantasmic meal conflicts with the only FP you could get for TSM?

Of course you can opt to NOT take the FP, but if it's your only day in the park it's a tough choice to forego a not to miss attraction just because you have a dinner reservation. I suppose one could opt to NOT make ADR's and simply do counter services, then you would be assured of not having such conflict.

It just seems a little silly to get so anal about a FP return IMO. I'm really surprised at how hot people are getting over this debate :confused3

Why not? seriously. If there was no such thing as fast pass you'd have to make a decision, either wait in line or don't do the ride? Then you would judge how bad you wanted to do the line. FP wasn't meant to make your choices easy it is simply a tool available to you for touring.

TSM has a time thingy above the fast pass machines doesn't it? You can very easily look at it and determine if the return time will confict with ADR's and such.

Actually now that you have advanced warning a person can 180 days out decide if their Epcot day or HS day they want to make those adr's and plan accordingly.

I too don't understand the fervor over this, pretty much because I really believe people will adjust. I've seen tons of changes and generally after a while even the uber planners manage to still do the rides.

I guess what I'm most upset about here is that there seems to be some unwritten rules about the return window being false and that you can actually return whenever you want. I like to follow the rules and ettique that wouldn't upset anyone else. Common courtesy and respect for other park go-ers is what I follow and teach my kids.

Why is it that when something is written, on a sign or a paper (like a FP ticket) won't everyone follow what is being said? Alot of people (I'm sure adult and good US citizens) are not following these "rules" because word of mouth taught them that it's ok to break them. I'm sure CM's were scared to keep people back at some point because somewhere down the line people expected to be able to return whenever they pleased and it happened so frequently Disney just decided it was ok as long as it wasn't made know publicly.

I can't find that youtube video that was linked of a CM telling it's ok to return outside the window, but what I did find is a video of "How Fastpasses work" from disneyland but it's the same thing anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhIon8BKpU

And here is a picture of a fastpass to make things easier:

fastpass_ticket_flickr_coconut_wireless.jpg

Notice the "Return Anytime Between" part? Why would it say that if that wasn't what it was meant for?

All I'm saying is, this is how it was meant to work. Somehow it got screwed up and was generally accepted by many that knew about it. For those that didn't know it was "encouraged" too bad. I've known Disney to be a real high standard company and to hear this "keep it on the down low" type of rule is disturbing.

I guess what I'm most upset about here is that there seems to be some unwritten rules about the return window being false and that you can actually return whenever you want. I like to follow the rules and ettique that wouldn't upset anyone else. Common courtesy and respect for other park go-ers is what I follow and teach my kids.

Why is it that when something is written, on a sign or a paper (like a FP ticket) won't everyone follow what is being said? Alot of people (I'm sure adult and good US citizens) are not following these "rules" because word of mouth taught them that it's ok to break them. I'm sure CM's were scared to keep people back at some point because somewhere down the line people expected to be able to return whenever they pleased and it happened so frequently Disney just decided it was ok as long as it wasn't made know publicly.

I can't find that youtube video that was linked of a CM telling it's ok to return outside the window, but what I did find is a video of "How Fastpasses work" from disneyland but it's the same thing anyway:

Notice the "Return Anytime Between" part? Why would it say that if that wasn't what it was meant for?

All I'm saying is, this is how it was meant to work. Somehow it got screwed up and was generally accepted by many that knew about it. For those that didn't know it was "encouraged" too bad. I've known Disney to be a real high standard company and to hear this type of quite type of rule is disturbing.

Educate yourself and you'll have a better trip, no matter where you go. Period.

Really? I don't like the idea of paying to get ahead in the line. I like the fastpass system the way it is now - free, and if you've done your research you get ahead in lines, not just because you have a bigger budget than others.

Maybe I'm just saying this because Universal has that system and most of us here have a *slight* bias against Universal ;)

I like the FP the way it is now too - as long as I can use my FP after the "window".

If that goes away - I will be willing to pay for the alternative.

I think we first found out that the time window didn't apply in 2007. We've been down for spring break 3 times since then and used that "rule" to our advantage. Now I just have to remember what we did before I knew the return time was open ended. I just can't for the life of me remember how we did it!
This just means getting on the first bus in the morning and getting to every park at rope drop is all the more important. Get the "big rides" out of the way early (or get an early time fast pass) so you can enjoy a leisurely day afterward, knowing you DID get to ride Soarin', or TSM, or Space Mountain, or Everest.
Daisyx3

At least I won't be upset when they start enforcing!

You're upset when they're not enforcing because no one told you, is basically what you're saying.

I'm not upset either way. Whatever system is in place, I'll use to the fullest extent.

:goodvibes I think maybe that's what part of the Next Gen stuff is about. If you can make limited fast pass reservations from home, then you will know if it will conflict with your ADR.

Everything that I've seen/ read seems to say that the Xpass stuff will be in addition to Fast Pass, at least in the beginning. So if you don't want do pay for the Xpass, then you'll still have the Fast Pass, and non-enhanced Photopass and such.

I get the fact that people tour differently, and I will be extremely upset if they completely take away the free option of fast passes. However, if it is like what I've seen and it's for a limited number of spots and they still have the current fast passes available, I don't see how it's much different than people choosing different levels of Disney packages- you have different dining packages, then different experiences as well (Platinum plan, is it, where you get all the tours/ Cirque), add on tours, etc? IF you want the additional convenience of reserving a specific time, then you add it to your package. Same as if you want the 180+10 time frame for booking table service, you book a room on site. If you want the now "premium" (my term, not Disney's) table services, you're going to plunk down the $10 per head charge if you miss your reservation, or pay for it in full for character meals and dinner shows.

Also, I don't see where Disney is taking down discounts as of yet. People were being taken to task for sharing codes that they got in the mail yesterday, there are promotions going on now through early summer, and you can book room only discounts with a AAA card through the end of the year. :confused3

I've had to skip over a bunch of posts because of time constraints.

In regards to people being upset because "there are too many variables to ensure I can arrive during my one hour return window". Has any one asked "how do you manage to make it to your ADRs?" (Or ANY appointment in life, for that matter?)

Why not? seriously. If there was no such thing as fast pass you'd have to make a decision, either wait in line or don't do the ride? Then you would judge how bad you wanted to do the line. FP wasn't meant to make your choices easy it is simply a tool available to you for touring.

TSM has a time thingy above the fast pass machines doesn't it? You can very easily look at it and determine if the return time will confict with ADR's and such.

Actually now that you have advanced warning a person can 180 days out decide if their Epcot day or HS day they want to make those adr's and plan accordingly.

I too don't understand the fervor over this, pretty much because I really believe people will adjust. I've seen tons of changes and generally after a while even the uber planners manage to still do the rides.

You're right. I should just be happy to walk throught the gates and be NEAR my favorite attractions. That's worth $90 a head, right?

If the time cuts it close, why should I go do something on the other side of the park and have to come back later, to potentially find that all the FP's are gone.

The system will just be what it is. And we'll make the most of it. But honestly, I'm tired of people insinuating that I should just be happy with one or the other. How selfish of me to want to keep my ADR (which I scheduled 180 days out and can't cancel at this point without penalty anyway) OR do the ride for which I already paid admission.

I've had to skip over a bunch of posts because of time constraints.

In regards to people being upset because "there are too many variables to ensure I can arrive during my one hour return window". Has any one asked "how do you manage to make it to your ADRs?" (Or ANY appointment in life, for that matter?)

That's actually pretty easy when you can use late fastpasses. It's adding a second "can't miss" to the equation that makes it stressful.

All I'm saying is, this is how it was meant to work. Somehow it got screwed up and was generally accepted by many that knew about it. For those that didn't know it was "encouraged" too bad. I've known Disney to be a real high standard company and to hear this "keep it on the down low" type of rule is disturbing.

I get that you are upset that you didn't know, but it's not like it's some super secret DISboards thing. Like another poster said it just takes a little research.

But the courtesy, respect, teaching your kids the right thing... that doesn't apply here. People who use FP late ARE working within the rules Disney set. Look at the back of a FP, it doesn't say cannot accept late arrivals, it only says cannot accept early arrivals.

Hold on, you mean you knew about how to use FPs and made a choice to be a "good citizen", respect others in line, teach kids right thing,...or wait...

... I wish I knew about the FP window and how it doesn't mean you should return in that time frame. If I would have known, I would have taken advantage of it many times...

You did not know, you wish you did, so... jealous much?:confused3

You're right. I should just be happy to walk throught the gates and be NEAR my favorite attractions. That's worth $90 a head, right?

If the time cuts it close, why should I go do something on the other side of the park and have to come back later, to potentially find that all the FP's are gone.

The system will just be what it is. And we'll make the most of it. But honestly, I'm tired of people insinuating that I should just be happy with one or the other. How selfish of me to want to keep my ADR (which I scheduled 180 days out and can't cancel at this point without penalty anyway) OR do the ride for which I already paid admission.

When you get FP you see what is return time before you get it, so if it does not work with your ADR, do not take this one. Time will change pretty fast and you can get what you want and keep both ADR and FP. That is how we did it before we learned about late FP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter