Fastpass FoP or River Journey?

ratfam

Mouseketeer
Visiting in May with "kids" in earlier to mid 20's. Priority is Pandora area, that is new since our last visit. I suspect that I will be unable to get anyone to rope drop other than possibly DHS, so that won't be part of my AK strategy. Which of the Pandora attractions should I try to use my FP for? Is one easier to get on through standby line? Thanks in advance

FOP certainly. Navi’ River is so boring- it’s a boat ride through a lit up Pandora forest. It’s pretty, but riding it once I heard all the difficulty with getting a FP for it, I was was really surprised. It’s like Small World with better decorations to me (but without a horribly annoying song, I admit!).

I’m in the minority in that I really enjoy NRJ, but I’d still never choose it as a FP over FOP. I’d also never ride it without a FP. I’ve found that it’s not difficult to get NRJ as a 4th FP (with the caveat that I’m typically solo), so I pre-book FOP and then hope for some refresh Magic so I can ride both.

I’m in the minority in that I really enjoy NRJ, but I’d still never choose it as a FP over FOP. I’d also never ride it without a FP. I’ve found that it’s not difficult to get NRJ as a 4th FP (with the caveat that I’m typically solo), so I pre-book FOP and then hope for some refresh Magic so I can ride both.
I actually do enjoy the ride, it's very peaceful, I just never want to waste a FOP FP over it. I have actually ridden it twice now after RD FOP as a walk on, and if you wanted to RD and not ride FOP it's even easier since everyone else going to Pandora is fighting to get on FOP. I have gotten is at a 4th/5th/6th FP before, usually later in the day. It's not always there, but on my last two trips they have shown up around 5pm.

Definitely use your FP for FOP- you'll see much longer lines for FOP for the majority of the day. We have had success riding Navi closer to park closing with little wait. Navi is pretty but I'd never use a FP for it over FOP and I wouldn't wait more than 30 mins to ride it.

FOP certainly. Navi’ River is so boring- it’s a boat ride through a lit up Pandora forest. It’s pretty, but riding it once I heard all the difficulty with getting a FP for it, I was was really surprised. It’s like Small World with better decorations to me (but without a horribly annoying song, I admit!).
True, but the first time we rode it we got stuck for 20 minutes with the world's most annoying 14-year-old boy behind us. I'd much rather have "it's a small world"

I would do FOP as a FP. On a side note - after dusk the we say the line go from 120 minutes consistent wait during the day to 15 minutes after dark. And Pandora is beautiful at night.

We always rope drop NRJ since you can usually get on it with no wait, and be done with it, before everything outside of Pandora opens. Riding NRJ and then going right to KS is my favorite way to start a day at AK.

As everyone else suggested, definitely get the FP for FOP. Even if I were unable to get a FP for FOP, I personally wouldn't use one of my initial 3 FPs on NRJ.

Twist on this question - would you still take FOP if you could only get a FP for the very end of the day vs. a FP for Navi in the early afternoon? I had to make a split second decision today and switched an early Navi for a late FOP, but wondering if I made the right decision since it means I can't get any same day FPs. My original plan was to RD FOP, but now I'm thinking I get do Navi first thing and then get a couple other rides in before it gets super busy...

Given the option, i would do a FP for FoP and RD Navi, then dinosaur (walk on), Everest 2 or 3 times (still walk on) then head to Safari for a FP.
Thats been our plan the last few trips and its worked well as the RD crowd all tends to go to FoP.

Twist on this question - would you still take FOP if you could only get a FP for the very end of the day vs. a FP for Navi in the early afternoon? I had to make a split second decision today and switched an early Navi for a late FOP, but wondering if I made the right decision since it means I can't get any same day FPs. My original plan was to RD FOP, but now I'm thinking I get do Navi first thing and then get a couple other rides in before it gets super busy...
I’d take the later FoP, and try to modify it to a time I like better. If you get a FP for Safari and either EE or Dinosaur, you should be able to do everything else pretty easily between Rope Drop and riding at closing. AK isn’t really a ride heavy park anyway.

I’d take the later FoP, and try to modify it to a time I like better. If you get a FP for Safari and either EE or Dinosaur, you should be able to do everything else pretty easily between Rope Drop and riding at closing. AK isn’t really a ride heavy park anyway.
Thanks! We do have FPs for Safari and EE as well. I was already able to move the FOP to a bit earlier, so could have time to potentially grab one or more FPs. We, of course, also love the shows and trails so should have a great day.

FOP hands down. Rope drop for that is crazy unpleasant and you can accomplish so much more instead.
Our day at AK works the same way every time:
Arrive at gate 15 mins before park opening. All RD crowds have already headed to FOP. But we go do NRJ which will be a walk on. The go back and do Dino, which will be a walk on. Then continue to EE, once will be a walk on, second time with a short 5-10 min wait. After that take a short break at Starbucks and start FPs.

I would FP FOp, also FP safari and Everest. still
Rope drop FOP since they open pandora roughly 45 min before park opening and if you are near the front it’s not so bad. Then river journey is a walk on after FOP. Then you can ride FOP twice. Dino will be a walk on or a short wait.

Visiting in May with "kids" in earlier to mid 20's. Priority is Pandora area, that is new since our last visit. I suspect that I will be unable to get anyone to rope drop other than possibly DHS, so that won't be part of my AK strategy. Which of the Pandora attractions should I try to use my FP for? Is one easier to get on through standby line? Thanks in advance
IMO, Navi River is a terribly boring ride. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was with it. If you absolutely must ride it, then I would get a FP for FOP and try to RD Navi. I can tell you that our family wont be wasting time riding Navi ever again. blech!

FOP hands down. Rope drop for that is crazy unpleasant and you can accomplish so much more instead.
Our day at AK works the same way every time:
Arrive at gate 15 mins before park opening. All RD crowds have already headed to FOP. But we go do NRJ which will be a walk on. The go back and do Dino, which will be a walk on. Then continue to EE, once will be a walk on, second time with a short 5-10 min wait. After that take a short break at Starbucks and start FPs.
OMGosh this was what we did but we will skip Navi from now on - just a waste IMO. We go straight to EE and ride twice, then we start our FP's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter