• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FastPass, MaxPass

I am in the pre-planning stages for a trip next June. There will be 3 of us and we will most likely spend a day at each park. I have never been to DisneyLand before. I am only familiar with how things work at DisneyWorld. I am trying to decide if the MaxPass is worth getting. Is there a limit on how may Fast Passes you are allowed to have at one time?

ETA: I just watched the videos (It’s almost 4:00 in the morning and I can’t sleep) and if I understand it correctly we would be booking one FastPass at a time. We each will have to pay $10 per day for each of us to obtain a fast pass, but they all can be booked from one phone. If we each have the app on our phones we will all have access to the same information? Can anyone in my party who has the app make the selections or makes changes?

Last edited:
I am in the pre-planning stages for a trip next June. There will be 3 of us and we will most likely spend a day at each park. I have never been to DisneyLand before. I am only familiar with how things work at DisneyWorld. I am trying to decide if the MaxPass is worth getting. Is there a limit on how may Fast Passes you are allowed to have at one time?

ETA: I just watched the videos (It’s almost 4:00 in the morning and I can’t sleep) and if I understand it correctly we would be booking one FastPass at a time. We each will have to pay $10 per day for each of us to obtain a fast pass, but they all can be booked from one phone. If we each have the app on our phones we will all have access to the same information? Can anyone in my party who has the app make the selections or makes changes?
At the current price of $10 per person, adding $30 to each day you use it, I’d say it’s more than worth it if you have parkhoppers or are at DL. I think it can be of more questionable value on a DCA-only day (there are only 7 FP rides there and the machines are less spread out than on the DL side). It depends what you want to do there. Also, in June, you’re potentially dealing with Star Wars, so who knoooooows how things will be?

You book one and then book the next one as soon as you’re eligible to book another one (usually when that return window opens, but a maximum of 90 minutes later). More info on that here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160

I often have 3 FPs in my app at a time (once I had 5), and it’s not hard to use 10-12 FPs in a full day. You can book from your hotel if you take an afternoon break. It’s great.

I am in the pre-planning stages for a trip next June...

You might want to look at the June Check In thread from this year to get an idea of what is going on (e.g. Grad Nights, summer events, etc.) and how that might look for next year. Also keep in mind that SWGE is planned to open next "summer" -- that could be any time from Memorial Day to Labor Day next year. And DLR doesn't really consider the full summer season to start until later in June, so the early June schedule may look a bit different from the later June hours.

Note that you don't have to pay for FastPass. That's free, it just requires some additional walking. MaxPass is a service whereby you can get FastPasses on the DL app without having to physically walk to the machine to get them.

Yes, if you have your tickets scanned into all phones, you all have access to the same information. That is, if you book FastPasses on your phone for your entire party, everyone in your party will have access to them on their own app.

We are AP’s and only pay for MP if A) we get to the park and it seems stupid crowded, or B) we have friends/family with us for a day and they buy it.

It is a huge help, especially when you are alone with 3 kids in the parks, but not worth it on slow days or days we won’t stay long.

What is awesome about it, it that you get often better FP return times than the machine will give as the app is dynamic, if someone with MP cancels their FP then it becomes available at an earlier time than the machines. The machines never go back in time. I’ve seen the machines say FP’s are gone for the day but people still able to pull them with MP

At the current price of $10 per person, adding $30 to each day you use it, I’d say it’s more than worth it if you have parkhoppers or are at DL. I think it can be of more questionable value on a DCA-only day (there are only 7 FP rides there and the machines are less spread out than on the DL side). It depends what you want to do there. Also, in June, you’re potentially dealing with Star Wars, so who knoooooows how things will be?

You book one and then book the next one as soon as you’re eligible to book another one (usually when that return window opens, but a maximum of 90 minutes later). More info on that here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160

I often have 3 FPs in my app at a time (once I had 5), and it’s not hard to use 10-12 FPs in a full day. You can book from your hotel if you take an afternoon break. It’s great.
Hi! I'm not understanding how you have had 3 to 5 fps at one time. Do they not enforce the return windows at dl like they do at wdw?

Hi! I'm not understanding how you have had 3 to 5 fps at one time. Do they not enforce the return windows at dl like they do at wdw?
With MaxPass you can get another FP 90 minutes I think after the last one you got, even if the window hasn’t come yet.

Return times are enforced at DLR, too. If you get a FP with a later return time, maybe a much later return time, then you can get another FP after 90 minutes. So you get your second FP, also with a much later return time. 90 minutes later, you get a third FP (with an even later return time). And so on, and so on... It is possible to do this repeatedly earlier in the afternoon and stack up several FPs with evening to nighttime return times. You will still have to use all the FPs within their respective return time windows.

In addition to the "90 minutes later" scenario described above by PPs, I have this type of situation a lot:

1. I have a FP for 10:00-11:00 for Space Mountain. (Keep in mind I can use this anytime until 11:15; there's a 15 minute grace period afterward.)
2. At 10:00, I pull a 10:20-11:20 FP for Buzz.
3. At 10:30 (30 minutes after I pulled the Buzz one, which is a FP pull "minimum"), I pull an 11:20-12:20 Star Tours FP.

It's now 10:30 and I am now holding 3 FPs - Space Mountain, Buzz, and Star Tours - and I'm going to walk over to Tomorrowland and use all 3!

Obviously those times are hypothetical, but if I'm there in the morning, I almost ALWAYS pull those three in that order - Space, Buzz, and Star Tours - and I'm able to use them all in one Tomorrowland trip. Depending on timing, sometimes I pull Buzz and use it right away, then pull Star Tours, so I only actually hold two at a time.

When I had 5 FPs, I had 2 FPs for later in the day (an evening RSR and GOTG), and then I pulled three in a row in the manner listed above for less-popular rides. Or maybe I had a multi-experience that was one of the 5...

When I go to WDW, I book my fast passes 60 days prior to travel. Is that not the case in Disneyland? Are there magic bands for Disneyland?

These two videos will give you a good overview of MP so you can see what it does and whether it would work well for you:

That's too bad. Does it work like back in the day at WDW where you go up to the ride and take a ticket from a FP kiosk?

It's not bad at all! DLR has MaxPass (see the title of this thread) which is the digital version of FP -- MP works with the DL app on your smart phone. Watch the two videos linked above for a good overview of how MP works. You can still use the free FPs from the machines or you can pay $10/person/day for the digital version (no running to the machines -- book from your phone in either park). FP/MP at DLR allows you to get as many FPs as you can get in one day -- some people have had as many as 15 FP rides in one day on a very busy day -- you probably could get more on a less busy day. The system works extremely well if you know how to use it.

Last edited:
It's not bad at all! DLR has MaxPass (see the title of this thread) which is the digital version of FP -- MP works with the DL app on your smart phone. Watch the two videos linked above for a good overview of how MP works. You can still use the free FPs from the machines or you can pay $10/person/day for the digital version (no running to the machines -- book from your phone in either park). FP/MP at DLR allows you to get as many FPs as you can get in one day -- some people have had as many as 15 FP rides in one day on a very busy day -- you probably could get more on a less busy day. The system works extremely well if you know how to use it.
I’m not nuts about paying for fast passes, but we are only spending one day in Disneyland, so this might be the most efficient way to ride as many rides as possible.

Thanks!

(I’m a WDW veteran, but a total Disneyland virgin!)

That's too bad. Does it work like back in the day at WDW where you go up to the ride and take a ticket from a FP kiosk?

It's really not too bad at all! Disneyland/DCA can be a single-day experience in a way that WDW can't, and with their current FP/MP process, it's possible to say "hey, I want to go to Disneyland next week!", go, and actually get FastPasses for every ride you want, and likely in a timely fashion. There's nothing like the whole FOP thing, the newest attraction at DLR when we visited was Incredicoaster and we booked our FP an hour before we rode it. MaxPass is a great value if you are there for a single day, especially since it allows you the flexibility to enjoy both parks without having to worry about doubling back to the attractions to get traditional FastPasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter