Fastpass return or replacement?

Not sure if I’m allowed to share blog links like this, but some info today on Genie app and line waits:

https://blogmickey.com/2021/08/disn...ils-soon-guests-will-spend-less-time-in-line/
“Additionally we’ve made significant investments in sophisticated technology and tools, created a revolutionary new multi-tiered service we’re calling Disney Genie. We’re very, very excited about the new service. We’ll be providing additional details soon. The goal will appear in the user-friendly app is to create a better, more personalized, and customized experience for guests. Putting them in control and providing even greater flexibility and choice. They will be able to spend less time waiting in line and figuring out what attractions and dining options are available and more time having fun.”
Bob Chapek, Disney CEO

Yep . Every single unpopular or potentially contentious government or school board announcement during this pandemic came on a Friday where I live. If they were expecting a backlash it always came on Friday so people had the weekend to freak out and calm down a bit .
I’m bracing myself too !
Disney has also had several fun and positive announcements on Fridays lately, so you never know.

Not sure if I’m allowed to share blog links like this, but some info today on Genie app and line waits:

https://blogmickey.com/2021/08/disn...ils-soon-guests-will-spend-less-time-in-line/
“Additionally we’ve made significant investments in sophisticated technology and tools, created a revolutionary new multi-tiered service we’re calling Disney Genie. We’re very, very excited about the new service. We’ll be providing additional details soon. The goal will appear in the user-friendly app is to create a better, more personalized, and customized experience for guests. Putting them in control and providing even greater flexibility and choice. They will be able to spend less time waiting in line and figuring out what attractions and dining options are available and more time having fun.”
Bob Chapek, Disney CEO
It may not mean much, but anybody else see what I see in those scroll throughs/screenshots on the phones?

Bob Chapek, Disney CEO

I think a few bits were left out of the quote. I added them back in:

“The goal will appear in the u$er-friendly app is to create a better, more personalized, and customized experience for guest$. Putting them in control and providing even greater flexibility and choice. They will be able to $pend less time waiting in line and figuring out what attractions and dining options are available and more time having fun $pending more money.”
Bob Chapek, Disney CEO

You mean the same man that created Club 33? Even ticket books favored those who could spend more money. That argument gets thrown around every now and then, but really never makes sense.
First, Club 33 opened 6 months after Walt Disney's death. A dead man did not create Club 33.

Club 33 was one of many ideas that Walt had, most of which never came to fruition. (See Mineral King Ski Resort.) Walt Disney saw the success of VIP lounges at the 1964 World's Fair and thought something like this would be a great way to attract corporate sponsors. As Walt envisioned it , Club 33 was not intended for the rich. Instead, he wanted companies to come in and pay for attractions he planned to build at Disneyland, the same way they had paid for attractions at the World's Fair. A VIP lounge was a way to attract those executives to invest in Disneyland. It was his successors, not Walt, who created the Club 33 that exists today.

Second, having experienced WDW during the ticket booth era, most working class families loved it! You could get into the theme parks for about $25 in inflation adjusted dollars. There were a ton of things a family could do for those $25. And you could pick-and-choose your favorite attractions and just do those, paying a fraction of what it costs today to visit WDW.

When Walt Disney World went to an all-inclusive ticket in 1982, many were furious because it made WDW so much more expensive than it had been.

Last edited:
I will start by saying that the following items are identified as "concept images" on the BlogMickey page: The one screen that shows "current wait time" for SDMT of 150 minutes also includes a "skip the standby line" link for FP+ (which says "check availability"). That link is probably going to take you to the pay-to-play screen, which may reflect dynamic pricing. Maybe guests will get some "free wishes" each day before rolling over to pay wishes?? I guess we will find out soon???? 😬. (I really don't like that word now.)

ETA: Anyone think Disney may manipulate times shown to encourage purchase of FP+?

I will start by saying that the following items are identified as "concept images" on the BlogMickey page: The one screen that shows "current wait time" for SDMT of 150 minutes also includes a "skip the standby line" link for FP+ (which says "check availability"). That link is probably going to take you to the pay-to-play screen, which may reflect dynamic pricing. Maybe guests will get some "free wishes" each day before rolling over to pay wishes?? I guess we will find out soon???? 😬. (I really don't like that word now.)

I will be shocked if anything FREE comes of this. Maybe Free rides on Dumbo or the Aladdin Carpets, but beyond that I am really doubtful. I hope I am proven wrong.

I can actually see Genie being good for the less knowledgeable fan base. Instead of learning about touring plans or coming on sites like this, they just need to download the app and let it guide them. Now how well it works in terms of efficiency I have my doubts.
For us it’s just going to be the app we use to buy FPs, which I won’t

Bob Chapek, Disney CEO

There's our confirmation that FP+ as we knew it is gone and is going to be revamped into the Genie, in some form or fashion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter