Fastpass return or replacement?

This exploded. Couldn't read it all and don't expect anybody to know yet but...

Or if it's been discussed already sorry.

What about later park arrivals.

If we G+ say BTMRR at 7AM for a 6PM ressie, (late park arrival) can we make another ressie 90 minutes later at 8:30 AM hoping to get like POTC at 7PM?

Or do we have to wait until after 6PM to try for a 2nd attraction-doubt anything would be left.

THIS is the center of the new system. GENIE will keep reminding you that ' FIR JUST $$ YOUR FAMILY CAN GET ON **** RIGHT NOW".. Goal is to whittle you down to spend just a few more $. Whats another few dollars ----time is money
I dont like that, at all. i dont want to constantly debate on if i want to spend money on something or not. We bought less snacks this last trip because we had to pay out of pocket vs using the dining plan. "Do i really wanna spend $7 for that? Nahh" vs..."It's just one snack credit, ok sure".

If we G+ say BTMRR at 7AM for a 6PM ressie, (late park arrival) can we make another ressie 90 minutes later at 8:30 AM hoping to get like POTC at 7PM?

Or do we have to wait until after 6PM to try for a 2nd attraction-doubt anything would be left.

I don’t think it lets u pick a time slot. I think it’s just the next time available

For guest behavior and availability, it's probably best to compare G+ to the original paper FP system and not the mobile based FP+ that most are now used to. But the added wrinkle would be where the popular attraction paper FPs were all gone in the morning ... those would now not be part of G+, but will be the additional paid LL access.
My last time using paper FPs was in 2010 -- the system ended in 2014. My recollection is that the ONLY attraction that ran out of FPs early in the morning was Toy Story Mania. I had read reports before my trip that Soarin sometimes ran out early, but that was not my experience during my mid-July trip. Generally speaking, FPs were always available, though the return time would get later and later in the day as the day went on. (I suppose it's possible that most FPs were gone by late in the evening, but I generally wasn't pulling many at night.)

If G+ ends up mirroring the paper FP system in terms of availability, I think most guests will be satisfied. Fingers crossed.

I keep seeing folks repeat the claim the paper FPs ran out quickly in the day for all the major attractions, but that was not my experience at all in 2010. (I suppose it's possible that this changed between 2010 and the end of the system in 2014.)

I don't like the Tier system and e-tickets - it means it will still be a 2 hour wait to get on Flight of Passage if you aren't lucky enough to snag a ticket first thing in the morning.

But I'm ok with the general idea of a Lightening Lane. And it's MUCH cheaper than the same thing at Universal Studios. We went to Harry Potter with the Express Pass and rode everything multiple times without waiting, it was awesome.

So at 7AM they only offer like a 9AM (opening hour) BTMRR for example.

I wonder if that means you keep checking all day until like 5 PM to get a 6 PM PM BTMMR.

yeah or u could pick another ride that does have a evening slot and then after 2 hours it should let u pick another one

well we are hoping there will be a time limit until u can pick another one anyway and not need to wait until the time of the ride if it is hours away

My last time using paper FPs was in 2010 -- the system ended in 2014. My recollection is that the ONLY attraction that ran out of FPs early in the morning was Toy Story Mania. I had read reports before my trip that Soarin sometimes ran out early, but that was not my experience during my mid-July trip. Generally speaking, FPs were always available, though the return time would get later and later in the day as the day went on. (I suppose it's possible that most FPs were gone by late in the evening, but I generally wasn't pulling many at night.)

If G+ ends up mirroring the paper FP system in terms of availability, I think most guests will be satisfied. Fingers crossed.
Even if you're right about availability, I'm not so sure that you would be right about guest satisfaction. Paper FPs were free. Now, I'm paying $15 per person. Imagine that I get my first LL for Splash Mountain for 9:30, and then the next available time for BTMRR is 4:00. I do that, and by that point there is no availability at all for rides like HM and POTC. Instead, I can get Barnstormer at 5:30 and Tea Cups at 7:30. I just paid $60 for my family to skip two lines at desirable rides --- plus skipping shorter lines at two marginal rides. We still had to wait in long standby lines all day for things like PP, HM, Buzz, etc. And we had to wait in really long standby lines for Space and SDMT (whereas, with paper fastpasses, we could have skipped the line at at least one of those rides for free).

I don't think I would be satisfied.

I don't think that's clear yet.

Essentially what you are proposing would be like a paid version of FP+. What you used to be able to do for "free" now costs $15 per person extra.

Until its more.

But for you the above would be best case scenario.

Worst case is you have to pay $15 per person just to keep checking all day until you see the timeslot you want. And if you dont, pay again tomorrow and try again..

yeah or u could pick another ride that does have a evening slot and then after 2 hours it should let u pick another one

well we are hoping there will be a time limit until u can pick another one anyway and not need to wait until the time of the ride if it is hours away

Thanks and I know it's early for answers. But if possible can you clarify the bold?

Did you mean there is a chance at 7AM that MK might have some attractions already at the evening slot? And if so it's best to take that, and then you can select something again at 9AM?

Same. I was at DLP in 2019 mid summer with a packed park using their old FP system. One at a time, can't get a new one until your first one or 2 hours has lapsed. Rope dropped Studios to ride Crush's coaster (as it wasn't on the FP system), then with a general touring plan picked up FPs one at a time for the key headliners based on knowing which ones tended to "sell out" first (but by no means did any "sell out" within the first 2 hours). It worked beautifully with a mix of FPs for some that are needed to get an under hour wait and other that are people eaters (like Small World, Pirates) that don't really need it (that had waits around 30 min ish because no one would get FPs for those while they held an FP for a headliner).

I suspect (and hope) it'll work like this roughly in practice (because in essence, it's the same thing only digital). So I'm optimistic this system will work way better for me than how FP+ did.
Again, this is okay for people that RD. Our family went away from RD with FP+ and loved our vacations 100 times more because we did not always have to get up at dawn to get FP's and much rather stay at the parks late. We knew we were getting 3 good rides in at each park and could just roam the parks enjoying ourselves, occasionally get a 4th or 5th FP but definitely wasn't on my phone refreshing all the time. Also, as someone else mentioned, I think RD will now be so much more crowded with this new system. For our family this new system, pretty much blows! One of the biggest things that I do not like, is not being able to pick my times, always hated the "next available" system.

Now, I'm paying $15 per person. Imagine that I get my first LL for Splash Mountain for 9:30, and then the next available time for BTMRR is 4:00.

There's the issue I see but I think that's when strategy comes into play and where staying onsite at a deluxe or dvc pays off. I wouldn't schedule a 4pm BTMRR at 9:30 in the morning. I'd be saving my must rides or rides that don't come up at a convenient time for ee or EMH's. There will be plenty of things to ride that everyone wants to ride that won't have the scheduling issues- We like Buzz, POTC, Jungle Cruise, even IASW...I don't expect there will be much trouble getting those.
Even value guests can take advantage of the half hour- it may not seem like much ( because it isn't) but you'd get a headliner in like SDMT or even a couple of more popular ones. If not, you can still knock out a few secondary rides probably not using Genie at all.

In the alternative, if what I read is correct, you can book that 4pm ride and wait a couple of hours to book something else. It's not a choice I'd make, but it is an option at least.

We always take an afternoon break, so we'd schedule something at the park we are going to in the evening if there was availability. I just don't see every single ride being booked up by Genie- the popular ones, sure, but that's the same issue we had with paper fp and we managed to get all our rides in over the course of a trip. And if Disney EVER opens up the shows and brings back the parades, that is going to help with crowds.

I really think people will figure out new strategies to deal with this system just like we all did with paper FP and FP+. As I've said, I'm no cheerleader of this system but it's what we've got. The choices are either figure out how to use it or quit going.

That's one of the pieces of the puzzle I'll be watching very closely. So far it seems like you'll only be able to hold 1 G+ lightning pass at a time may not have the 2 hour window of the old paper FP. Another potential strategy to plan around

To those saying that paper FP used to always sell out early I don't think it will be much of an issue with G+. Yes, at the time headliners like Toy Story and Soarin would sometimes run out of FP early in the day. But at the time those were the new headlining rides. The headliners today will not be available on G+. Those will be LL. The only exception to this rule I see is Space Mountain if it is true that will only be a LL attraction.

If I understood the guy correct in the 14min video released yesterday, did he say some rides and experiences that historically do not have long waits will be standby only?

Stolen from a previous poster....

"Genie+ in now FastPass-"

more(+) $ for less(-) fun
more(+) $ for less(-) sleep
more(+) screen time for less(-) vacation time
more(+) stress for less(-) benefit

I could go on, and on, and on....and on.... but rather, We just wont visit as often as we used too. So more room for someone else. I'm ok with that. Seeing how many people here seem to not care that they are being fleeced is just sad.

There's the issue I see but I think that's when strategy comes into play and where staying onsite at a deluxe or dvc pays off. I wouldn't schedule a 4pm BTMRR at 9:30 in the morning. I'd be saving my must rides or rides that don't come up at a convenient time for ee or EMH's. There will be plenty of things to ride that everyone wants to ride that won't have the scheduling issues- We like Buzz, POTC, Jungle Cruise, even IASW...I don't expect there will be much trouble getting those.
Even value guests can take advantage of the half hour- it may not seem like much ( because it isn't) but you'd get a headliner in like SDMT or even a couple of more popular ones. If not, you can still knock out a few secondary rides probably not using Genie at all.

In the alternative, if what I read is correct, you can book that 4pm ride and wait a couple of hours to book something else. It's not a choice I'd make, but it is an option at least.

We always take an afternoon break, so we'd schedule something at the park we are going to in the evening if there was availability. I just don't see every single ride being booked up by Genie- the popular ones, sure, but that's the same issue we had with paper fp and we managed to get all our rides in over the course of a trip. And if Disney EVER opens up the shows and brings back the parades, that is going to help with crowds.

I really think people will figure out new strategies to deal with this system just like we all did with paper FP and FP+. As I've said, I'm no cheerleader of this system but it's what we've got. The choices are either figure out how to use it or quit going.

Agreed. Some very basic questions will be answered in the first days I assume.

We often do other things during the day and a park in the evening.

So it will be interesting to see how it plays out, what's avail and when etc.

One of the open questions is if you will need to buy this for the length of your ticket or just per day correct?

Thanks and I know it's early for answers. But if possible can you clarify the bold?

Did you mean there is a chance at 7AM that MK might have some attractions already at the evening slot? And if so it's best to take that, and then you can select something again at 9AM?

yes if for example the ride you want is saying come back at 9am well sounds the passes are going to take a while yet until it goes to a evening slot

so check the other rides that may be going a lot faster and see if they have late afternoon/evening times and I would back that in and then try again 90mins or two hours later. Think we are still awaiting how long after u can get another one if you haven’t been on the ride by that point

Depending on the cost of LL for new things like Tron, GoTG, Rat and RotR-it might be nice to know there is an option to get that on occasion when desired. At least to find out if their worth it going forward.

Failed getting to even get on RotR too many times to count.

yes if for example the ride you want is saying come back at 9am well sounds the passes are going to take a while yet until it goes to a evening slot

so check the other rides that may be going a lot faster and see if they have late afternoon/evening times and I would back that in and then try again 90mins or two hours later. Think we are still awaiting how long after u can get another one if you haven’t been on the ride by that point

That could work out pretty well if it works that way.

I picked BTMRR because I think that will go the fastest at MK, but we will see.

The big issue is if you can indeed hold more than one at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter