• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fat Friendly?

Neonasaurus

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone! I know there is A LOT of discussions about this already, but they are either outdated and/or they are people who are not my size. I'm going to Disney and Universal in 2 weeks and I wanna know what rides I should be cautious of. I have been to Canada's Wonderland already and was mortified when I couldn't ride a ride there. I know Disney is amazing when it comes to accommodating everyone, but I know Universal might not be.

When I last went, in 2010, I was 250lbs and I could ride everything but the Harry Potter ride (I was devastated). I heard that they updated it recently though, to fit bigger people, is this true?

Anyways, currently I'm 290-285lbs but I'm VERY short at 5' 2" (everyone else my size on the fat forums seems 5'6" or taller) should I be worried about anything? Most of my weight is in my stomach and breasts. I have NO butt and my legs are thin for a fat chick.

You and I are very similar in height and weight. My trip is in 5 days (yay) so I can report back about FJ. We aren't roller coaster people so prob won't be much help otherwise. Incidentally, I've prepared myself for the possibility of not rising and know I'll have fun with a castle tour if that's what I need. There's a thread around here about who fits on FJ (though I think we need a new one because the first several pages were posted before the harness was modified and its a lot to wade through, but I digress). Anyway, I'll report back soon!

I'm sorry to say I don't think FJ will work but it is still worth the try. I am also 290-295 but I am 5'6" and I didn't fit on my last trip. I also don't fit the big coasters. But am fine on everything else. As for Disney I fit everything, however I did not do sum of all trill and have heard I won't fit.

I am of the mind to go ahead and try anyways and I don't beat my self up if I don't fit cause I will never see any of these people again and who cares what they think. I know it sounds flippant but if it helps me fully enjoy my vacation that's what counts.

Good luck, have a wonderful vacation, and don't worry about what others think..

Ps. The red seat belts in Popeye are longer, or you can just ask for the extension as you walk towards the boat. All the cm have an extension.

Well, the outside (modified) seats were totally fine for me at 5'3" and 220+, so I wish that they had had them when you were there last. I'm not sure about how they will work for you currently.

DH hasn't yet been able to ride the big rides, but he rides everything else; so even if you can't ride FJ at this point, you aren't going to have the same experience as at Wonderland. There are plenty of non-big-thrill rides that will allow you to experience them.

Try the seats, ignore the thought that other people might be watching, and I hope you have a great trip, no matter what. :goodvibes

I was there in April and had no problem on FJ at roughly 275lbs and 5'5 with sizeable hips. I was even able to very uncomfortably fit on the Hulk. I didn't try Dragon Challenge this time but have always been able to fit in modified seating with a little help from my partner in the past.

Hey everyone! I know there is A LOT of discussions about this already, but they are either outdated and/or they are people who are not my size. I'm going to Disney and Universal in 2 weeks and I wanna know what rides I should be cautious of. I have been to Canada's Wonderland already and was mortified when I couldn't ride a ride there. I know Disney is amazing when it comes to accommodating everyone, but I know Universal might not be.

When I last went, in 2010, I was 250lbs and I could ride everything but the Harry Potter ride (I was devastated). I heard that they updated it recently though, to fit bigger people, is this true?

Anyways, currently I'm 290-285lbs but I'm VERY short at 5' 2" (everyone else my size on the fat forums seems 5'6" or taller) should I be worried about anything? Most of my weight is in my stomach and breasts. I have NO butt and my legs are thin for a fat chick.

It really depends on how/where you carry your weight. Frankly, you may have problems, but until you actually try it, you won't know. I'm a bit taller than you and a bit heavier than you and there are many attractions that don't work for me. I hope that you find more success than I do, but if not, there are still many great things to enjoy in the parks and at Citywalk.

One member of our party is a large girl but she does not like simulator rides so she is fine with not riding. Will they allow her to just go through the line-up with us though, to see the great queue? She is a huge HP fan.

One member of our party is a large girl but she does not like simulator rides so she is fine with not riding. Will they allow her to just go through the line-up with us though, to see the great queue? She is a huge HP fan.

My understanding is yes. There's an exit for people who change their minds or just want to walk through with the group. My mom has back issues and will be using it for sure. I'll use it if the test seat doesn't work for me. We'll also do a castle tour at some point so we can just take our time and also see a few different things. :thumbsup2

-Hope- said:
My understanding is yes. There's an exit for people who change their minds or just want to walk through with the group. My mom has back issues and will be using it for sure. I'll use it if the test seat doesn't work for me. We'll also do a castle tour at some point so we can just take our time and also see a few different things. :thumbsup2

Yes - you can go through the whole line and right where the test seats inside the castle are there is a door that you go through that puts you at the spot where everyone gets off the ride. You can stand there the whole time your group is riding - it's fun to watch people's reactions as they get off the ride!

Everyone can go into any line at Universal. :)

Until 3 years ago, I weighed over 320 pounds (I am now at 205). At that time it was before FJ so I can't speak to that but the only ride I had any issues with was the Hulk and even on that one I just sat in one of the rows designed for larger people and once in awhile I would need the help of someone to secure the seat belt. But other than that I don't anticipate a problem.

I was unable to ride FJ this week. I'm 5'2" about 290 lbs but I really think my chest was the biggest issue. Just can't suck in the girls, lol.

I'm not a coaster person so didn't try any of those but I rode everything else I wanted to. And I walked through every line in WWOHP and simply used the exit near the front. Oh, I also used a seat belt extender on Bilge Rat Barges. The TMs were very friendly and no one ever made me feel self conscious in any way.

Has anyone ever had any problems with Transformers or Simpsons?

The only issue my family has had with Simpsons is that the lap bar goes over the whole row of people. Since DH has been the biggest one in the row, it means everyone else isn't really restrained. It's one thing if it's OUR family that is impacted by this, but sometimes they will put the taller people in the...I want to say back row but I could be wrong, so he is sometimes put with other people. And that means he is impacting strangers, which bugs him quite a bit.

Haven't yet been on Transformers.

The lap bar, motion simulator rides (Transformers, Simpsons, Spider-Man) worked fine for us. Even though, as pointed out by the PP, only came down for me the kids still did fine. They aren't coasters and the movement seems to be more for effect than anything. Everyone felt safe and had fun. :thumbsup2

Thank you for this post! I know Disney is great when it comes to people of all sizes but Universal, from what I remember, is not friendly to everyone. I understand now that I won't be riding the HP ride, I'm 6' tall and 300 pounds. I am currently trying to lose weight before my trip next April but I do not believe I'd lose enough to ride comfortably. Like one of the other posters said, you can't suck in the girls.

Thank you for this post! I know Disney is great when it comes to people of all sizes but Universal, from what I remember, is not friendly to everyone. I understand now that I won't be riding the HP ride, I'm 6' tall and 300 pounds. I am currently trying to lose weight before my trip next April but I do not believe I'd lose enough to ride comfortably. Like one of the other posters said, you can't suck in the girls.

Your height could really help you, though, if you really meant 6 feet and not 5. Wear a soft bra that allows things to squish and it might work.

DH carries a lot of weight in his torso, is 5'10", and I know he is expecting to stand a chance to ride when he hits 300.

Your height could really help you, though, if you really meant 6 feet and not 5. Wear a soft bra that allows things to squish and it might work.

DH carries a lot of weight in his torso, is 5'10", and I know he is expecting to stand a chance to ride when he hits 300.

Yeah, I meant 6 feet. my weight is mostly in my stomach and thighs but I'm not sure I'll chance it if I have to squeeze in. I still have almost 7 months before we go, and I'm hopeful that I'll lose a decent amount of weight, not so much to ride this ride but so I'm comfortable walking all the parks and not be so sore at the end of the day.

When are you going? If before me, can you keep me posted on how DH did?
Thank you! :)

Simpson's, Transformers and Spiderman all have 4-person seats that use one lap bar, try to sit with similar sized people. Just rode Simpson's in the front row and noticed the back support only went up to the shoulder blades, it was very uncomfortable for me with all the jostling. The back row has "back" support all the way up to your head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter