• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite cheeses to use in homemade mac & cheese?

maslex

DIS Veteran
Just curious what you're favorite combination of cheeses are to use in homemade mac. My DS19 has requested this for his birthday dinner. His birthday is tomorrow but since he's working, I'll be making this on Monday night. We all love an ooey-gooey mac & cheese cooked on the stove top but he's requesting for me to finish it off in the oven for a little bit with some cracker crumbs on top.

I've made it before with Velveeta and that's okay and I've done it before with just plain cheddar and again, that's ok. But I'm looking for something with a little extra flavor maybe. I'd like to try something with a couple different cheeses to give it some oomph.

Any suggestions?

I use sharp cheddar and parmesan. To get some extra flavour add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and a little bit of hot sauce for a bit of oomph.

I always use half "Hunters Seriously Sharp" (by Cabot), and then I vary the other half. If your group likes foods that are a little spicy, I've had good luck with a pepper jack.

And I agree with your son. - Baking it to get that nice top makes the dish!

Last edited:

Always add mustard and some Heinz 57 to my suace, along with a variety of cheese and a good sprinkling of black pepper!

I make a white sauce with 1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup flour, and 6 cups of milk (doesn't matter what kind, and sometimes I use maybe a cup of white wine in place of some of the milk). I add about 1T worcestershire sauce, a few shakes of hot sauce, nutmeg, pepper, and garlic powder, and about 1tsp. of dry mustard (although you can also use regular mustard). Once the sauce thickens, I add 8oz of Velveeta, cut into cubes, and stir until melted. OFF THE HEAT, I then add 20oz of shredded extra sharp cheese (we like the Cabot in the red and black checked label the best) and stir until melted. I pour most of this over one pound of pasta (ziti with lines or rigatoni), then into a greased 9X12 baking dish; make sure the pasta is well-covered with sauce. Bake at 350 for about 30 mins. You could top it with buttered crumbs, but I never do (DH has textural 'issues'). There should be ample sauce for reheating leftovers (or eating with a spoon!).

I find that adding the Velveeta makes it easier to heat/reheat the sauce without it curdling. That is also why I add the shredded cheddar off-heat.

Last edited:

Those who said they use parm cheese, is it the kind in the green bottle or actual shredded parm cheese? I know, dumb question. LOL

I use the Sharpest Extra Sharp Cheddar I can find.
If you really want to kick it up a notch, sprinkle blue cheese on top when it comes out of the oven. A co-worker does this and it is heaven.

I use a extra sharp cheddar cheese, regular cheddar cheese, fontina cheese, asiago cheese and some jalapeño pepper jack cheese. I also use some mustard seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. For the topping I put crushed Ritz crackers. I also add bacon!

I use whatever I have on hand. And yes mustard is great in it. I use the Pioneer Woman's recipe (google it, it's so good) and she uses ground mustard in her recipe. Usually though my combo is colby jack, some shredded parmesan, some cheddar and a little mozzarella.

And this is what I am making for for dinner tonight because my son is coming home for spring break and it was his request.

I do the Velveeta too, seems to make the cheese sauce smoother. I usually add in sharp cheddar cheese, parm, sometimes mozzarella if I happen to hv some. Always a squirt of mustard . Bake 30 mins 350

Cheddar and mozza, stir in some jalapeno cheese-whiz (ignore the people who say it's one molecule from being plastic) and crumble plain nacho chips on top just before serving)

I use whatever we have on hand usually and that generally means, cheddar, monterey jack, mexican mix or italian blend. I abhor Velveeta so we never have that. That is stored in a cabinet, can that be considered cheese? Grosses me out anyway. For an extra kick, my boys love it when I add crisp bacon crumbles to the top with a bit of extra shredded cheese and then broil it for a few minutes.

Emmental! With crushed crisps on top for toasting and some mustard for zing :)

Extra sharp cheddar only. I do add nutmeg. dry mustard and Worcestershire sauce to my white sauce. Then it all gets put in a baking dish, with a sprinkling of plain breadcrumbs on top, then baked in the oven.

Those who said they use parm cheese, is it the kind in the green bottle or actual shredded parm cheese? I know, dumb question. LOL

The stuff in the green bottle isn't cheese, LOL. Actual shredded parm is the only thing I use.

I use a combination of extra sharp Cheddar, Colby Jack, and Parmesan. If I have some Feta, it is a really tasty addition as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter