Favorite Closed Attraction

Hi!

I am a junior in high school and a requirement for me this year is to write a research and opinion paper. It could be any topic at all, as long as we do not know much about it.

I've been going to Disney for all of my life, but given that has only been 16 years, it is not very long and all of my favorite attractions are still here.

So I decided to research Disney World attractions that have been closed even though they were very loved by the guests.

This is the part where I ask you for help. I need to pick three different rides and I don't know what to choose. I don't know much about these rides but if you have a favorite that you wished was still open please tell me! I really want to choose rides that were deeply loved!

Thanks!

Maelstrom is a good one.

It's been closed an awful long time, but 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea was a good ride in its' day

Yes, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was a favorite when I was really young.

Backlot Tours, at Hollywood Studios, was cool

Mr Toad was my favorite. It's actually the reason I want to go to DL.

My second favorite would be 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

I really miss Cranium Comand at EPCOT---it was so funny--a look inside the brain of a teen boy.
I think that whole pavillion (Wonders of Life) was sort of hidden behind trees and most people didn't realize it was there, so it never was all that busy and that doomed it.

For me, it was America Sings at Disneyland

Isn't that out of scope of the question asked? If I could include Disneyland, I'd say Country Bear Jamboree. However, the OP is concentrating on Disney World.

Horizons, for sure. You could write about the weird juxtaposition of how the ride imagined the future, while at the same time the actual future was happening outside of its walls, and then it became an anachronism. The paper writes itself! And if you used the words "anachronism" and "juxtaposition" your teacher will be hella-impressed!

You could also talk about the gondola ride that at one time carried passengers between Fantasyland and.... someplace else. I forget what it's called but another poster will be here to tell you the name in a few posts. The structure in Fantasyland where the ride ended was still standing as of a few years ago, but it's undoubtedly gone now. Those rides used to be ubiquitous (side note: I sure do love big words) at amusement parks everywhere, but they've fallen out of favor. You can look into the safety and aesthetic implications thereof.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, hands down, though Horizons can have an honorable mention.

Horizons, for sure. You could write about the weird juxtaposition of how the ride imagined the future, while at the same time the actual future was happening outside of its walls, and then it became an anachronism. The paper writes itself! And if you used the words "anachronism" and "juxtaposition" your teacher will be hella-impressed!

You could also talk about the gondola ride that at one time carried passengers between Fantasyland and.... someplace else. I forget what it's called but another poster will be here to tell you the name in a few posts. The structure in Fantasyland where the ride ended was still standing as of a few years ago, but it's undoubtedly gone now. Those rides used to be ubiquitous (side note: I sure do love big words) at amusement parks everywhere, but they've fallen out of favor. You can look into the safety and aesthetic implications thereof.

Skyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway_(Disney)

I still see some of these types of rides, although one look at them and it should be obvious they're liability hazards. The ones I see are the kinds where the feet dangle.

Journey Into Imagination -- be careful if researching, this wording is key to the original version, which was superb. Next I would include Horizons and World of Motion.

You can probably find a lot of info on the Yesterland site.

Thank you! It was right at the tip of my tongue! A few parks still have them - I think Cedar Point might still have theirs.

There are still aerial gondola rides all over the world, although the enclosed type is the most common. You know - at ski resorts and tourist attractions? The one thing about all the Skyway rides is that the gondola wasn't fixed to the cable. It used a mechanism that clamped on so that the ride vehicle could be stopped for loading on a rail, then pushed to the end of the rail where it would clamp onto the cable. The kind I see are where the rider has to sit down quickly because the vehicle is fixed to the cable.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Wonders of Life Pavilion
If You Had Wings

Then that brings up the question about all Disney parks or just Disney World.

These were all WDW attractions. All but Wonders of life were in MK. Wonders of Life was in Epcot.

I understand that. However, someone else brought up a ride at Disneyland. It's still possible to find versions of some of those rides elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter