• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite DVC Resort Ranking

Bjaiken77

DIS Veteran
Would you guys mind providing a list of your favorites? It doesn’t have to be complete if you haven’t been to them all. I’m just curious of the order people would put them in if they were doing a simple order ranking of places they’d want to say. This means throwing out cost and point values. Simply how would you rank them in terms of what most appeals to you?

Been members since 2006 and stayed at all east coast DVC except Riviera.

It is hard to list them in order because we like each one for different reasons and like to book different ones based on the particulars of the trip. But we do have preferences....more like 3 tiers.

So we like BWV because Epcot and festivals is our fave thing to do. Plus we own BWV.

We like BCV for the same as above...walk to Epcot. Also like the feel and amenities of the resort.

Like AKV every now and again because we love the theme and dining and animals. And enjoy AK park too.

Like SSR a lot. Love DS for dining and drinking. And really love the new renovations at SSR.

Those are our top picks/tier and 3/4 happen to also be pretty easy to book. SSR and AKV always go last and BWV because we own there. BCV is tough to book but we will grab it when we can.

Next tier is VGF and the Wilderness Lodge ones. I love the rooms at VGF. The resort is impressive too. But, alas, we are not MK people nor do we have little kids. So no need to drop the tons of points this place requires. We own at CCV so that is a plus to being able to book there. And really like the theme and quietness. But we only have 70 points and they don't go far. And, again, not big into MK.

Our last choices/tier are BLT, Poly and OKW. We'd just as soon book SSR over OKW so we could walk into DS. And BLT and Poly are MK resorts and heavy on the strollers and little kids. They are very noisy resorts, we've found. But we do enjoy some things about these resorts too. And will book upon occasion. Have OKW booked end of the month.

EDIT TO ADD: We LOVE HHI and used to own there. GREAT resort and staff. Vero was nice too, only been once. Just a little too remote for us. We are foodies and drinkers.

Last edited:
Joined in 2001 at VWL/BR don’t really like staying here but like using points for Riviera at 7 months so far
Also like BLT with more points owned at 11 months.
So BLT = #1
and RR = #2
POP Century if they aren’t available...

We have stayed at all of them except VGF and CC/BR. As noted by others we like different ones for different reasons. We don't always visit parks when we go, so for those vacations we like hotels that offer onsite activities or great pools. We like BCV for the awesome pool w/ lazy river. We like BLT since they have multiple outdoor games (i.e. pool tables, ping pong, bags) and we can visit Top of the World Lounge (when open) or watch the water pageant from our lake view balcony. We like AKV since we can sit on our balcony and watch animals. We have also really enjoyed our stays at Riviera. If we plan to go to the parks we tend to stay at hotel near the park - so AKV for AK, BWV or BCV for Epcot. We almost always split stay our vacations. In November we split stay a 2 bedroom at OKW and a 2 bedroom at AKV. This June we have reservations for studios at Riviera and BLT. I will say that if we are not visiting the parks and we are booking a 1 bedroom or larger then balcony size comes into play. For example OKW balconies for 1 or 2 bedrooms are huge and have a 4 person table on them which is great for eating outdoors. Some of the resorts (I am looking at you SS) have tiny balconies for larger villas.

We also have stayed at all East Coast DVCs.

We really enjoy the Boardwalk - walking distance to 2 theme parks. Large pool that usually has seats available. (You'd be surprised how hard it is to find seats at many DVC pools.) I'm a sucker for its theming (my wife not so much), harking back to a "better" time. The Boardwalk itself is like a mini version of Disney Springs, with lots of activity going on (in normal times) at night. The Boardwalk has several restaurants, bars, snack shops, and forms of entertainment. Because of its low points-per-night requirement, the "Standard Room" at BWV is probably the best value of all DVC rooms. It' biggest negative is no food court.

The Wilderness Lodge has a wonderful theme and their Geyser Point restaurant is a nice place to have drinks & food outside. CCV rooms are renovated; BRV room theming is a bit dated at the moment.

AKV has several nice restaurants, a large pool at Jambo House and, of course, giraffes! Their Value rooms are the lowest points-per-night but are a bit small.

BLT is within walking distance to the Magic Kingdom but has one of the worst pools. Its theming is a bit corporate - I've stayed in business hotels (particularly newer ones in Europe) that have a similar feel.

Villas at the Grand Floridian is enjoyable but a bit of a (outdoor) walk to the main building and the Monorail. The pool near the DVC resort is enjoyable. The pool in the central court at the Grand Floridian is OK. As far as rooms go, VGF probably has the nicest rooms.

The Poly is a lot of fun but, like VGF, is relatively expensive per night. Still, it has a couple of nice pools, Trader Sam's (hopefully reopening soon), and Dole Whips!

Beach Club is nice, the closest to Epcot. People rave about Stormalong Bay (its main pool) but we always find it overcrowded.

The Riviera also is nice. It's more compact than many other DVC resorts, meaning that even the far rooms are still reasonably close to the lobby, pool, restaurants, etc. My wife said she didn't particularly like it during our first stay but then insisted that we book it again for her birthday in July. :)

Saratoga Springs and Old Key West feel more like Moderate Resorts, but both have rooms that require fewer points per night than most other DVC resorts.

Getting away from WDW, Vero Beach is an underrated gem. A most pleasant hotel right on the ocean, a great place to relax in the hot summer months. (But watch out for the no-see-ums!)

Hilton Head reminds me a bit of SSR and OKW. It suffers by not being on the beach.

The short of it is that all DVC Resorts have their plusses and minuses. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited:
If it is food and wine time
Beach Club
Boardwalk
Saratoga Springs
Wilderness Lodge
BLT

Otherwise it is
Saratoga Springs
Beach Club
Wilderness lodge
boardwalk
BLT

These are the only 5 I have stayed at.

I have stayed at all except SSR (which is one of my homes), VGF, CCV, and RIV.

My rankings are below:
  1. Animal Kingdom Villas (bought contracts here because I so love staying here) - It is so relaxing there and love seeing the animals from the Balcony. Prefer Kidani if I am with my Mom since she has a ECV. Jambo if solo.
  2. Boardwalk - love walking to 2 parks (or using the Skyliner as an option too)
  3. Beach Club - again love walking to Epcot and using Skyliner to HS
  4. Poly - bonus of 2 bathrooms. Like the location
  5. Boulder Ridge - another relaxing place but have not stayed there in about 8-10 years now
  6. OKW - eh, it was ok. Don't understand the mad love some people towards it
  7. BLT - I can say nothing really nice about that place. Never ever ever again! That studio was ridiculously small with only 2 people.
If I was to throw VGC into the mix, it would be #2 on the list. It is the only west coast game, but I just love the location and feel there. Although, I will look at the DLH Tower when it becomes available. I do own VGC too, so maybe not.

For the ones I have not stayed at, I would like to try all of them at some point. I especially am interested in VGF and Riviera.

Would you guys mind providing a list of your favorites?
The ones I've stayed at!

More seriously, I've been to BCV, BLT, BRV, BWV, OKW, and SSR. Each of them has something to recommend it, and each has things I wish were different. (Caveat: I've only stayed in villas, not studios, and the pros/cons might be very different for the latter.)

In alphabetical order:

BCV: Epcot's backyard---literally. Our room was along Epcot Resorts Blvd, and we could see the top of a Pavilion or two across the way but the views overall are lackluster. I like the beachy vibe of the resort. Was an excellent home base for Food & Wine. The pool gets raves---I admit I thought it didn't live up to the hype. For some reason, the YC/BC restaurant lineup doesn't do much for me, but Epcot just over there makes up for that. The dreaded "2nd Generation" villa design (shared with three others) that has IMO a cramped living area, a too-small kitchen, and an almost-useless balcony. Parking can be inconvenient if you have a car. The Epcot Resort Area is a good mix of activity and peaceful nooks/crannies.

BLT: I am a sucker for "faux future modern" and liked the decor a lot (this is not a universally-shared opinion). The walkway to CR provides a pretty good set of resort amenities for sundries. Very well-designed kitchen with good storage space, and adequate room for the family to eat together (rare in many others.) The extra full bath is nice. The Wave is one of my favorite "moderate" TS locations, and it is nearly always possible to grab a seat at the bar for dinner. California Grill is another favorite. Top of the World is a great place for a drink/mocktail. We were on the inner side of the C, central spine, high floor and the views over Bay Lake were stunning. Close to the Magic Kingdom hubbub (both a pro and a con, depending on my mood). Fun to watch the fireworks from the walkway or an observation spot. Parking not too bad. Seems strangely inconvenient to get to anywhere not named Magic Kingdom, but I was there before the flyover was built, so that might be better now.

BRV: I enjoy the Lodge's theme more than any of the others at WDW. The rooms looking north from a high floor have good views of Bay Lake. The new pool area is fantastic, the feature pool is cleverly themed, and Roaring Fork is a great place for a casual meal if the weather is good. Territory Lounge is my favorite place for apps on property (though it'd fallen a few notches the last few times I was there.) Boating between MK and Bay Lake feels like going between two completely different worlds. Whispering Canyon is a favorite for breakfast or an early afternoon milkshake (but not lunch/dinner). Again, the dreaded "2nd generation" layout, with a dining table that inexplicably seats two people (three if you are good friends). Not walking distance to any park, but very close to MK, especially by bus due to the road layout..

BWV: I consider both DS and EP walkable from here which was very handy---especially on the dearly-departed ESPN 5Ks that started at DS at O-Dark-Thirty. Several upper-floor wings have glimpses of Epcot fireworks over the roofline. The corner rooms with the extra window are unusually bright and airy. I like the playful nature of the theme here a little more than the somewhat more formal BC (and the even more formal YC). I liked the Clown Slide (a very controversial position). The dining options on this side of Crescent Lake are even less interesting to me than the BC/YC side, though I've not tried Flying Fish which I hear is very good. (I also haven't tried Trattoria.) Again, Epcot's food options are just a hop/skip/jump away. Yet Another Second Generation Layout. Parking can be very inconvenient.

OKW: The original and, in some ways, still the best. My favorite layout of any of the resorts by a mile: spacious living room with adequate seating, a truly functional balcony (with a table that easily seats four) that is accessible from both Master BR and LR. The entire resort whispers "island time." Olivia's might be my favorite "moderate" TS location. Parking is super convenient. The balconies in Buildings 45 and 46, along the canal, are some of my favorite places to hang out with a cold iced tea. The boat to/from Disney Springs is a pleasant way to start an evening. Now, the downsides: half the villas don't have access to a bathroom directly from the living room. The pools feel like an afterthought---even the feature pool. Goods 2 Go might be the worst CS anywhere on property. The walking paths are almost all along roads, and so not very peaceful. Not great separation between roads (and bus noise) and the villas. Not close to anything else.

SSR: The red-headed stepchild of DVC, but one that I've come to really like. Conveys a sense of quiet sophistication without being stuffy. The landscaping has really come into its own--in contrast to the early years when the buildings seemed out of scale. Convenient parking. Building design shelters most units from the worst of the road noise and provides good views of the water features/golf/landscaping. Two very good feature pools both with adequate (Paddock) to very good (Carriage House) CS locations. Peaceful walking paths, and plenty of them. Not close to any theme parks, but Disney Springs is right there. Turf Club has been dinner only most times I have been there and I haven't tried it yet---but that's because if I am eating dinner near SSR it is in one of the several Disney Springs places I really like. Yet another Second Gen layout resort. I haven't stayed in a refurbished unit yet, but am looking forward to it.

----------------

Overall, I am one of the few people who appreciates not being right next to a theme park while I am at WDW. I like my resort to be a bit of a respite from the hustle and bustle of the parks. As such I like OKW and SSR a little more than some. If you made me pick one as a favorite it would probably be BRV, but it's not an easy decision.

At present I would say the following (ignoring point values completely):
  1. Cabins at Copper Creek
  2. Polynesian Bungalows
  3. VGC (but we live local and own there, so that's a factor)
  4. AKV (Jambo Savannah View)
  5. Kidanni Savannah View
  6. Riviera (now own there as well)
  7. BCV for the pool and proximity to two parks
  8. BWV for location
  9. OKW for resort feel, especially nice if you want a more relaxed vacation and love that the studios have two queen beds. I don't know if they are currently doing the resort tour where they talk about the design of various elements of the resort, but if they are, it is well worth doing, it is free with some nice surprises at the end.
  10. GFV location and rooms
  11. BLT for location and rooms
  12. SSR is fine, but last on the list, although with the studios having murphy beds it may move up the list.
Many of these are almost a tie, some are a tie, but this is my best attempt at ranking at this point in time, it may change tomorrow though.

Animal Kingdom is #1 for us (we own 2 contracts), Grand Californian #2, Boardwalk #3 (walk to HS and Epcot)

We've stayed at all east coast DVC resorts, and the four of us in my family each rank a different one as favorite, but here are our top picks:

1. Polynesian - Best theme for a vacation for me, love the pool, slide, island feel. Really love watching fireworks with music piped in every night, and really love monorail to 2 resorts (and now loved the walk to MK on our most recent trip). Love Ohana, love Trader Sams. Rooms are bigger here than my other top picks.

2. Beach Club - Love walking to 2 parks, love the pool. Lazy river is great. and Kids love the pirate slide. Love skyline r too. (Boardwalk has all these perks except the awesome pool, which bumps BCV much higher because we love the pool.)

3. AKL - so much to do at the resort, seeing animals with morning coffee, is awesome. We own AKL so we book club level here whenever we can, it is def. worth the few extra points. The kids water play area at Kidani is awesome when it's open. Best Restaurants on property.

4. BLT - Love the walk to MK, ease of transportation is big for me. My son loves that the monorail comes through while we eat (at Contempo Cafe). Love watching fireworks with music piped in from the bridge to CR. Although the room is small (based on sq ft) the layout of it really works for my family because the kitchenette is angled in a way that I can be up making coffee with out waking the rest of my family (studio).

1. tie between BWV & Riviera (location, community Hall, activities, resort feel, etc). Own at both.
2. another tie: BLT for location (even tho we are not big MK fans, the walk is nice, & we like CR dining); SSR - love the walk to Springs, the renovated rooms, & the resort itself is lovely. Own at SSR.
3. AKV for the views, lobby, Club Level, & dining options; transportation can be awful tho

I feel a bit like Goldilocks here but OKW is just too boring & we've had problems with resort/room cleanliness there, Poly is pretty but seems so old (plus we had major black mold problems there), BRV/CCR is just too woodsy for our tastes (tho lovely at Christmas), VGF's separate building really irks me (we love the GF, but really dislike the DVC building pushed away from the GF proper), BCV where we also own, is just too noisy & chaotic (the pool & lobby especially) although we like the location

Last edited:
We have stayed at all the DVC resorts with the exception of BCV

#1 is for me is VGC but we just don’t get there as often as we like but we own a small 80 pt contract there we use every 2-3 years.

I posed this question to my hubby and his #1 is Aulani even though we’ve only been there once. It’s truly beautiful and totally worth the 13 hours of flight time from FL. I think every DVC member should try it once.

At WDW we have so many favorites because they all offer something unique. We love a kidani sunset savanna stay and the seclusion of the SSR treehouses. Can’t beat BWV for access to two theme parks. We love them all it’s like trying to pick a favorite kid 😊

We like our DVC homes the most: BC, AK, BL

AK was our first home and it took us 3 years to stay there so I was stunned at how much I like the place, and much of our enjoyment is the staff.

Basically, if we're going for the parks: BL or BC; and non-park: AK, SS; pre-cruise: PVB, CC. We tend to avoid BW and OKW. Haven't ever enjoyed GF or RIV. HHI and Vero were nice. We use HHI when driving and we tried Vero once just to try it - both are a low key experience.

#1 VGF love the atmosphere, and enjoyed the orchestra when it was there
#2 OKW love the space, palm trees and feeling of being down south, also love the spread out feel.
#3 BRV enjoy Wilderness Lodge
#4 BCV great pool
#5 Animal KIngdom, either one
#6 SSR near DS
Don´t care for PVB, BWV or BLT
Haven´t stayed at RR

factoring in we book studios...

Aulani - even the ’worst’ studio we had with view of a wall

Poly - vibe, location & split bathroom

Own @ WL - original MK resort :), theming & love the boat service as well as being close to campground for (HDD:wizard:) will settle for P & J’s chicken

Own @ AK - two words: value studios at Jambo. Where else can you see a giraffe grazing off your balcony in FL? Kidani, well, I do like the parking garage.

BC - SAB so difficult to flip over at 7 months tho

Own @ BW - F&W, etc. RIP to my favorite clown

GC - it’s DL! Generally has been booked for our visits, usually pay cash @ DLH which we enjoy more as to historical value TBH.

BLT - enjoy trading in, can’t beat the walk to the MK. just want to like it more than I do, not the same as staying at the CR

SSR - has been a relief more than a few times to see it available when everything else is booked. More times than not, will bank our points & just stay in DTD area or book disney property thru CRO or hotwire

We prefer OKW our home resort for several reasons. The laid back feel of the place, the very large rooms and the low points needed to stay. Having used the 2 and 3 bedroom villas many times it gives the family plenty of space. The large balconies make it nice to sit drinking coffee with family members and you can park just outside your door. Having said that we are trying them all and love Kidani Village savanna view as long as you ask for near lobby and elevator and also love Copper Creek. We are not fans for BWV's at all but to each their own. That is why DVC has so many different styles. Different strokes for different folks. Hope this helps..smjj

1. HHI I have fallen in love with HHI....its a good place for us to snowbird.
2. GCV I haven't stayed there, but I love the lobby and decor. Mission and Arts and Crafts is my style. When I go to Disneyland, I make time to sit in the lobby.
3. BRV/CCR - the GCV of WDW - but I like the mission style better than the rugged West style. I still love BRV though
4. BWV - home close to Epcot. Lots of memories
5. VAKL - its lost some of its charm since we went on a real safari, but its still an amazing resort.

I haven't stayed in any of the rest but my interest level:

6. Aulani - we have our snowbird trip planned for here this year. We will see. I'm not a huge Oahu fan....but Hawaii (and the resort looks lovely)
7. GFV - elegant
8. BLT - close to Epcot and my husband likes the modern vibe
9. Poly - I've stayed at the hotel. The landscaping is wonderful
10. CCR - why stay here when there is BRV?
11. BCV - I lied, I have stayed here. Never again when we own BWV. Someone else can have SAB. SAB was nice, walking through the lobby in my swimsuit, I am too vain and 30 years past swimsuit model.
12. OKW - very little appeals to me here. It feels like resorts we stayed at as a kid on golf courses. Uninspiring and in the middle of no where.
13. SSR - middle of nowhere, outside halls, decor that reminds me of a 1970s family room. Nope
14. Riveria - All those points for what?
15. VB - The Atlantic coast of Florida doesn't hold a lot of charm for me.

We have stayed at all of them!

1. Aulani - I'd go here all of the time if I could. Already have done 4 trips there!
2. VGF - IMHO, best rooms, and when non-COVID, really enjoy the Nespresso machine in the lobby!
3. Copper Creek - The Wilderness Lodge is still one of my favorites. Also, great pools!
4. Vero Beach - Extremely underrated. A bit sleepy, but great for what it is. Best lobby smell in all of Disney.
5. VGC - Loved the 1-bdrm setup. Also, direct entry to DCA and a rooftop to watch World of Color.
6. BLT - Hard to beat the location. Studios are small, but very well setup.
7. PVB - This would be higher (Ohana and Dole Whips!) except for it's a pain when raining. Do love the quiet pool area.
8. BRV - Similar plusses of CCV, but the rooms need a bit of TLC
9. BCV - Great Location, but our view was underwhelming (not that the view matters all THAT much...)
10. SSR - Much better after refurb. Plus, we really like the pools here. Walking to DS a plus as is onsite golf.
11. OKW - Not our favorite pools, but the 1/2 bedroom units are huge. Balcony space is very nice.
12. HHI - 2 bedroom unit seems a bit cramped in the common space, lack of onsite dining, and pools could be better. However a great resort to just "relax". Also, I very much appreciate that they have carts for you to take your stuff to your unit from your car (wish they did this more at WDW - Wilderness seems OK with it, but not the others)
13. RIV - Can't put my finger on it, but not my favorite for the amount of points it costs. Still very nice though and I would be happy to stay there!
14. AKL - We actually had a really nice stay in a 2 bedroom during the COVID reopening with no parks. Not sure why it's not higher other than it's a bit of a haul to get to the rest of the property from. Again, would be happy to stay here in a minute...

All of these are great! SSR has definitely moved up the list in the past year (pre-refurb it would have been a few more down...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter