Favorite FL/GA/SC campgrounds (OTHER than the Fort ;) of course )

NMK62303

DIS Veteran
Hi all - we live in NC. Interested to know your favorite places to camp in FL, GA, and SC other than the Fort! Upgraded our 5th wheel late last summer, and looking for places other than the Fort to explore and enjoy our camper. Would prefer full hookups (sewer/electric), 50 amp, pool. Camper is 41 feet, and tall. Cable and WiFi are bonuses. Thanks!

Hi! We live in SE GA and our favorite "local" campground is Jekyll Island Campground. We also like Blythe Island Campground. Both are located in Brunswick, GA.

A favorite stop for us as we head to and from WDW is Camp Lake Jasper in Hardeeville SC. Staff is super friendly and helpful. We go for pull thru sites closest to Dog Park which are gravel with cement dining pad. Easy access to and from I 95 , Savannah Ga is not too far away. Worth checking out IMHO

I'm biased since I live in Georgia but almost all our state parks are beautiful. I'm also biased on that since my son's life long best friend and second son to me is a State Park Ranger. Skidaway in Savannah is one of our favorites. Outside of state parks, we enjoyed Creekfire RV Resort in Savannah. Full hookups, a lot of pull throughs, a shuttle to town although it's not that far and you could Uber it or in our case take that huge dually and have fun with parking. We also like Racoon Mtn. in Chattanooga, TN. My honey had to work in Chatt. so me and the puppy went along for the ride and we stayed there. Full hook ups, pull throughs, great staff, good hiking up the mountain and a cave system to tour that is pretty cool. You might have a hard time getting something that big in a state park, we have a 35' fifth wheel and it can be challenging for us at times. Both Creekfire and Racoon Mtn. had cable and wifi, although the wifi wasn't the best it worked well enough with a booster for honey to work from the RV when he needed to (he's an IT consultant so that's important).

Watching with interest.

We're going to FW next year (Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise) and plan to spend 10 days or so afterwards near the ocean. Plans are to stay at an RV park in the Keys, but an oceanside RV park in FL might be a good alternative.

Thanks so far for the great suggestions! Yes I agree StormyCA - oceanside in FL or anywhere south with amenities would be ideal! We enjoy Myrtle Beach and Charleston areas but looking to get a bit more south if possible just to try out some new places.

Would love also to learn of some beautiful ocean campgrounds on way down to Fort somewhere on southern east coast, or split stay in Florida beach campground.

We've stayed at Fort Clinch on Amelia Island. May be a little tight for 41 feet, but I've seen big rigs there. On the island outside of St. Augustine is Northbeach campground. Your 41 foot camper will fit as the pull through sites a huge. They have an onsite restaurant named Aunt Kates that is pretty good. Further south at Port Canaveral is Jetty Park Campground. Only 50 miles from the fort. We piggy back Jetty Park on our Fort visit. If you are going to the Keys, Fiesta Key is nice with plenty of sites. We have never had any trouble getting a reservation. However, if you want further south for Bahia Honda or Boyd's you will need reservations at least a year ahead. Hope this helps. Safe travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter