Favorite Illuminations Viewing Spot

PrincessTaylorsMom

Mouseketeer
Hello all. I need some advice.

We are currently planning our 4th trip to the World with our DDs this April. We have never seen Illuminations. (I know...GASP!!).

We'll be staying at BC this trip and want to catch Illuminations at least once. I made a 7:30 ADR at Rose and Crown one night thinking we could watch from their viewing area. But DH is not a big fan of the food there, so if I came up with a better plan, that would be great.

So that being said, please share with me your favorite Illuminations viewing location.

Thanks in advance. :wave2:

I really like watching it from France, but that has more to do with the beverages they have available at the drink carts there than the view! :drinking1 ;)

The last few times I've seen it, I've found that the wind blew a lot of smoke towards Canada. Our favorite viewing spot is in Mexico just as you pass the cantina and little store on your right hand side (walking towards Norway). Right along that railing are spots with no obstructions. We watched it from there on 4th of July last summer and got some amazing photos :goodvibes

Sorry for being vague here, but perhaps someone can help me....When you enter through the path from the Boardwalk hotel (entrance into World Showcase), there is an area that juts out into the water. If I recall, it is kid of tiered, as I remember people sitting above me. I sat there a couple years ago and had a great view.

PHLtoMCO said:
The last few times I've seen it, I've found that the wind blew a lot of smoke towards Canada. Our favorite viewing spot is in Mexico just as you pass the cantina and little store on your right hand side (walking towards Norway). Right along that railing are spots with no obstructions. We watched it from there on 4th of July last summer and got some amazing photos :goodvibes

I love just outside Canada on the railing. Just abt as good a view as from Rose n Crown.

Where I will never watch again: Japan. I went because ppl recommended it as a quiet spot. Blech. Watched from the top of the stairs (near Teppan Edo) then moved down to the railing. Could not see the globe and missed a lot of the show. (We adore the fireworks shows and watch illum and Wishes at least twice each a trip).

Next attempt was at the top of World Showcase near Mexico. View was so-so. (But I was disgruntled because I was late and was also obstructed by a light post)

rutgers1 said:
Sorry for being vague here, but perhaps someone can help me....When you enter through the path from the Boardwalk hotel (entrance into World Showcase), there is an area that juts out into the water. If I recall, it is kid of tiered, as I remember people sitting above me. I sat there a couple years ago and had a great view.

This sounds like where we like to watch. It's right on the water and is in between the bridge and England

It's a VIP area. If there are no VIP's they let you in. I wonder if they are going to use that area with the new Fast Pass choice.

Last April, we were at Epcot all day, but left around 5, because we had to check into my dh convention hotel. We came back at night for Illuminations and we did a few rides and walked over to Norway. We sat down on a stone ledge in front of the church. We had a great viewing area. No one was in front of us, because of the walking path. When Illuminations started, I stood on the ledge and took great pictures. I've stood out by the American Band Stand to the left, I think next to France, that was a great area. I've been by Canada too-lots of rocks around that area.

I can't tell you, because then you'll steal it!!! :rotfl2:

Just kidding. Like a PP, we like France. We grab some pastries for the kids, some champagne for us, and grab a spot in the area by the crepe kiosk...where Belle is during the day. But shhhhh! Don't tell anyone else!

From an Illuminations cruise boat. I've done it 3 times now and it's a great view.

Otherwise, I like viewing from France the best.

From an Illuminations cruise boat. I've done it 3 times now and it's a great view.

Otherwise, I like viewing from France the best.

Ooh, I'd LOVE to do that! We did a daytime cruise for my sister's engagement from the Yacht Club once (we had it catered, etc.) They took us up to HS, and then through the WS (which I don't think they are supposed to do as a regular thing) and it was awesome. Doing it during Illuminations would rock. :thumbsup2 I need a special occasion to justify the expense tho. Anyone got one for me? :rotfl:

We'll be staying at BC this trip and want to catch Illuminations at least once.
So that being said, please share with me your favorite Illuminations viewing location.

Thanks in advance. :wave2:

I like to stand on the bridge between Britain and France. It is easy to get back to the BC from that spot. It is a very short walk between that spot and the resort.

We also like to watch from the bridge between the United Kingdom and France. A great view and a quick exit through the International Gateway once the show is over (if it is not an EMH night..then we must stay:thumbsup2 and enjoy the park longer of course)

Thanks for all of the great ideas! :cool1: I love the idea of standing somewhere near France so DH and I can grab an adult beverage and get some pastry for DDs! Thanks Everyone. :love:

Having stayed at Boardwalk and Beach Club a lot, the answer to your question depends on what you to do after the fireworks. As a PP mentioned, the park will close, unless its EMH. If the park does close, are you going to ESPN or Beaches and Cream for a post-park snack? If not, there is no reason to stand near France/UK bridge. EVERYONE stands there and it gets really crowded. I would also stay away from Mexico area, as when the fireworks end, all the people leaving through the main entrance will be rushing your way.

To answer your question: Between Norway and Germany. We usually get our last beer right before Illuminations start (the speakers have a fun reminder of how much time before fireworks start) and we find a spot up against the railing. Afterward, and this is the best part, while everyone else is rushing to the buses in the front, we leisurely walk, finishing our beers around World Showcase toward the International Gateway. World Showcase pavilions are still lit up - its very pretty and a nice way to end the evening.

It looks like you've stayed at BC before, but next best part is when you leave a quieting EPCOT and approach Crescent Lake - its alive with people all across the boardwalk. After all, its only 9:15pm! There's movies on the Beach, the Stormalong Bay is still open, the "bars" on the Boardwalk side are just getting started. Its fun to see, even if you're exhausted and plan to go straight to bed! :-)

To answer your question: Between Norway and Germany. We usually get our last beer right before Illuminations start (the speakers have a fun reminder of how much time before fireworks start) and we find a spot up against the railing. Afterward, and this is the best part, while everyone else is rushing to the buses in the front, we leisurely walk, finishing our beers around World Showcase toward the International Gateway. World Showcase pavilions are still lit up - its very pretty and a nice way to end the evening.

It looks like you've stayed at BC before, but next best part is when you leave a quieting EPCOT and approach Crescent Lake - its alive with people all across the boardwalk. After all, its only 9:15pm! There's movies on the Beach, the Stormalong Bay is still open, the "bars" on the Boardwalk side are just getting started. Its fun to see, even if you're exhausted and plan to go straight to bed! :-)

You must have done a flat-out run to get to the resorts ;) ! Illuminations is a 13 minute show and the earliest it starts is 9:00 pm, and at 9:30 pm around Thanksgiving/Christmas. To be in the Epcot resort area after leaving Germany/Norway by 9:15 is not what I would term "a leisurely walk". :drive:

I do agree with all the points you made. We love strolling through the World Showcase after Illuminations ! I'd be there right now if I could. I've often commented to my wife that if I worked for WDW it would have to be at the Animal Kingdom, so I could get off work early enough to be at Epcot for Illuminations. :thumbsup2

You must have done a flat-out run to get to the resorts ;) ! Illuminations is a 13 minute show and the earliest it starts is 9:00 pm, and at 9:30 pm around Thanksgiving/Christmas. To be in the Epcot resort area after leaving Germany/Norway by 9:15 is not what I would term "a leisurely walk". :drive:

If you're standing on the bridge during the fireworks, you're at Crescent Lake by 9:15. Granted, it could be 9:30 if you've chosen to stroll through WS on your way out.

Can't count how many times I've had to chug from my souvenir stein at the IG exit...with CM's cheering me on. :drinking1

I love EPCOT...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter