Favorite non-ride things to do

Donathius

Mouseketeer
The rides get all the attention at DL, right? I mean that's what most people spend their time doing. But what about the non-ride things? What do you like to do that isn't going on Space Mountain or Rise or Pirates? I'll have time to really stop and smell the roses on my next trip and I want to really soak in those "other" things that are off the beaten path or otherwise less noticed or even less thought of as something to do at the parks. Even something as simple as finding a place to sit down and people watch for a while. What's your favorite place to just sit and enjoy the ambiance?

Great question! One of my favorite things is so simple. I like to sit on a bench on Main Street near the flagpole and just BE at Disneyland. I like to people watch, listen to the music and soak up the ambience.

Every trip we visit Snow White's wishing well once a day. It's such a sweet, quiet spot.

Everything the others have said (Snow White's wishing well, entertainment) and I'll add getting a cup of coffee and nabbing a seat on the "front porch" on Main Street (halfway down on the right if you're facing the castle) to people watch. I also love wandering through the back alleys and shops in New Orleans Square, or just sitting along the riverfront.

The Disney Gallery is a fun place to visit (and cool off in the summertime) and there are no end of beautiful garden displays to enjoy all over the park.

I know these are rides, but the Mark Twain Riverboat and the train ride around the perimeter are also favorite ways to relax.

At California Adventure, see if you can find any of the "town residents" along the main street to interact with. Relax (even lie down) in Animation Studios and enjoy the "show" all around you on the walls. Take the long way around the park (past Grizzly River Run) or duck into the Grand Californian to relax by the fire. Go through the Boudin Sourdough bakery walkthrough and get a free piece of bread. Sit outside at Starbucks and watch people, or sit outside by the winery.

Don't miss the path from the Pacific wharf area to the back of Carsland (by Radiator Springs Racers) for some gorgeous views of the "Red Rocks" and fun "roadside signs."

Watch the "sunset" at the end of Hollywood Blvd at the picture spot.

I used to love Pixie Hollow at night for the little light show and fountains....but this hasn't been happening for a while. It's possible it is currently being repaired though, I live in hope!

Three ideas:

Try all the transportation options along Main Street between the plaza and the hub. One time I entered Disneyland and spent close to an hour doing that before venturing out to the various lands.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/main-street-vehicles/

Also at Disneyland, walk behind the Harbour Galley and you'll have a view of folks who've just been down the big drop on Splash Mountain. They've just stopped screaming and are now laughing. Very fun! (Limited time offer.)

At DCA, walk along the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area trail behind Grizzly River Run. You'll see some beautiful waterfalls below Grizzly Peak and can also watch people on GRR. In fact, there's a viewing area right near the largest drop on the ride.

Absolutely love the Ancient Sanctum garden area. Little benches to sit down, usually quiet and you never know who will stroll by to strike up a convo

Attachments

• 274ED365-307A-47C8-9CDC-8F4E6C9E2334.jpeg
    274ED365-307A-47C8-9CDC-8F4E6C9E2334.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
It's been over two decades since I've gone to Disneyland. Grew up in SoCal and went all the time. I know it's changed a ton. Anyhow is the Penny Arcade still on Main Street? That was always a favorite.

I love Disney Gallery. They have a large map and a scale model of the park on opening day that is an absolute must see if you have the time.

I love Disney Gallery. They have a large map and a scale model of the park on opening day that is an absolute must see if you have the time.
They just took out the map for the 100th now they have an animators desk, in there and an old tv playing walt explaining the multi plane camera. I saw it on the last day of my trip, the first day it opened, new exhibit in the gallery too

My motion sickness is getting worse as I get older (ugh) so more and more I am discovering the joy of grabbing a coffee and/or a snack and finding a spot to sit and just soak up the atmosphere while the rest of my group is on the ride(s) that will make me ill. I especially love finding a spot where I can watch the street entertainment or character meet & greets. But pretty much anywhere I can find a bench works for me! I love paying attention to all the little details - the pavement, the lighting, the plants, etc. - how everything works together to create the theme around me.

Animation Academy is a true hidden gem - my youngest (and I) could spend all day there sketching. Also the Sorcerer’s Workshop is a fun find - make sure to go back to Beast’s Library!

Character interactions - the talent at DL is above and beyond. I love seeing guest interactions, especially with roaming characters.

On a smell the roses day I also love bringing my actual camera and focusing on all the little details - I’ve been more times than I can count and recently one of my sons was like “mommy, look at the lamp on the top of the pier (Pixar pier). I had never realized the pixar lamp was there, and it moves! The little things really are what make disney amazing.

Any bench on Buenavista St. under the monorail with popcorn and a diet coke is usually good for 1-2 hrs for me

One of my favorite things to do is grab a beer (or soda) and watch the people/rides of Cars Land. My favorite is between RSR and pacific wharf in that path, watching the cars race by. Between cars land and avengers campus is good too, watching Luigi. Or just outside Flo’s in the middle of cars land.

In DL, I love just hanging in New Orleans Square. The little show when Kylo Ren comes out in Galaxy’s edge is fun. In DL, I could honestly go the whole day without going on a single ride with a height restriction in DL and have a great day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter