Favorite place to wait out your return time

momz

DIS Veteran
With long waits for some of these rides. Tell me, what is your favorite place to wait at each park? What do you do while waiting for your return time? Waiting outside the queue is a huge blessing and definitely makes it possible to enjoy rides that we would never be able to go on otherwise. I’m thinking that the time spent waiting can be time spent making memories. Can you share your experiences and recommendations for how to pass this time?

With booking return times via the app, this hasn't really been an issue, especially if combined with advanced DAS Return times and attractions with little to no wait like shows. Just always book your next return time after scanning at the scan points. Generally by the time you reach your next attraction your return time is ready.

If not, get some food, or as I said go to some of the shows, etc. That don't really have waits.

We typically enjoy strolling the various animal trails at DAK or catch a performance by one of the live musicians/bands, while waiting for an attraction return time. At MK, we often do the Pirates' Adventure Treasure Maps activity to pass time. EPCOT is always an easy park to find ways to pass the time, exploring the various countries in WS or grazing through the food booths of whatever festival happens to be going on. Disney's Hollwood Studios is the park we find most challenging, but we will try to go grab a snack or a drink and find a comfortable bench. Sometimes we check out "One Man's Dream" or sit through another showing of "Muppets 3-D" as a way to get out of the sun and into the air conditioning for a while. If we are going to have a meal in a park, we'll do an attraction just before lunch (for example), then grab a return time for another attraction that we can walk onto after lunch.

Our is for our daughter (who was 4 last visit, will be 7 this visit) and we let her direct according to her needs. In MK: The playground near splash mountain that is partially underground. lots of tunnels, relatively quiet. In AK: the animal trails if she needs "quiet time" the boneyard if she needs "active time" Epcot: the fish tanks in Nemo. HS: This park is a nightmare. We ended up in a quiet space off behind Alien Swirling Saucers.

ETA: Sometimes, especially first thing in the day, we'll ride other rides with short waits. As the day goes on, typically we need to find quieter, downtime activities. Honestly, we go for longer trips and have been pretty good about just taking things day by day. There were a few times we ended up renting a Minnie van last trip because we just did too much and she lost it.

I am usually making my way to the ride stopping at every other bathroom, and then I hang out between the ride entrance and the closest bathroom. I have issues. LOL I try to find someplace to sit and people watch since I really can't do anything as far as other rides unless there is zero line. I also walk around the giftshops and actually look at all of the detail that is in the parks that others walk right past.

With long waits for some of these rides. Tell me, what is your favorite place to wait at each park? What do you do while waiting for your return time? Waiting outside the queue is a huge blessing and definitely makes it possible to enjoy rides that we would never be able to go on otherwise. I’m thinking that the time spent waiting can be time spent making memories. Can you share your experiences and recommendations for how to pass this time?

It's much easier/better now that you can book the return time at the app. It's the one thing Genie actually improved! So time spent walking and/or heading in the direction of the ride now comes out of the wait time, which is awesome.

Other ways we kill time:
-finding/using the restroom
-getting food, especially at EPCOT where we can easily hit a couple small booths between rides
-at MK, we can often find a ride with a shorter wait time to hop on.
-at DHS, there are a handful of shows or attractions that take awhile (like Star Tours or Muppetvision) but have short lines, so those are great for killing time.
-at AK, we go on one of the walking wildlife trails. We can spend forever in the 'bird room' of Maharajah.

When I need it, I go to first aid to rest, which is a big help. Other times, I walk slowly through shops, or just walk around looking at the theming. I can't really get into another queue, as that would trigger my issues.

We usually use the time to visit a restroom, wander through a shop, or watch a show. Sometimes, we just walk around (my son prefers to keep moving and sensory-seeking). We enjoy the carnival games in AK and DCA.
We ate A LOT of popcorn and Mickey Bars while waiting as well! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter