• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite places to drink at Universal?

TheConsciousness

Coaster Skeptic
With the coming of Irma, we rescheduled and added an extra day. Since we'll be able to take things slow and relaxed, we'd like a nice spot to grab a drink and cool down. We've got our eyes set on the bar next to Jaws; which I can't remember the name of at the moment.

Does anyone have any other fun or interesting suggestions?

Finnegan's is really good - I always spend too much time here and the staff is really good - they have been there for years

Hogs Head Pub - I like it - but standing at the bar is not great as there are always lines to get butter beer - I usually stand between the two registers and chat with the staff

Toothomes bar is pretty good - I do like the chocolate stout and teh staff is again really good

The outside Duffs bar at the Simpsons area look like a great spot

The rum bar in Sapphire Falls looks really interesting

Jakes in he RPR ir nice

Happy hour at Emeril's Orlando

The pool bar at the RPR is always fun

Cowfish is really good as well

"bar next to Jaws" - I think that is Lombard's Seafood Grille - not a fan of that

Last edited:

I wouldn't have thought of Finnegans. That looks really cozy!
The place I was thinking of was Chez Alcatraz. I can see why it wasn't easy to remember now. :P
Yeah - that looks like a nice spot to stop on a hot day and people watch - I have an extended stay coming up in Universal so Ill have to check it out - not sure it is always open

Lone Palm, Pat O'brien's on the patio, Backwater bar and Orchid bar is some of our favs.

I have found the Lone Palm is a heavy pour on the jack/coke when i get them

DH and I had a ritual of stopping at the Backwater bar late afternoon. It had a very "local bar" feel (including what appeared to be "regulars") and was a great way to relax after several hours of touring the parks.

A Lard Lad donut and Duff beer while sitting at a table overlooking the lake toward Diagonal Alley. It just doesn't get any better.

Add Dancing Dragons Boat Bar at Volcano Bay to the list. Cocktails and frozen drinks are solid, the beer selection is good and the bar staff are awesome.

Last trip, we stopped for drinks at the outside Duff's bar which was really nice. Also had a drink at Hard Rock Cafe to cool off, which was a good stop with a large bar area. If you're looking for something different, we really liked the pool bar/restaurant at HRH as well.

So, just an update:
We went to Chez Alcatraz and figured because it looked like a bar, we should probably sit down and take a look at the drink menu.
After looking at the menu for a bit, we waited for the bartender to take our order, but she never came to us. I know the bartenders don't like being called on, so we waited and figured she would get to us, but nothing. We looked up at her, and she just looked away while randomly handing beers to the walk-up customers. So we walked away.

We also had a couple of drinks at the poolside bars at Cabana Bay and can only say that we got stiffed once. The Atomic Tonic bartender we met the first night made the drinks strong and it only cost me $5 for a White Russian wells. The other poolside bar cost me $9 for the same drink. The next night I ordered a double from Atomic Tonic, and the new bartender charged me $20! I'm not sure what happened with the pricing, but that was absolutely insane. We'll bring our own liquor next time.

Last edited:
So, just an update:
We went to Chez Alcatraz and figured because it looked like a bar, we should probably sit down and take a look at the drink menu.
After looking at the menu for a bit, we waited for the bartender to take our order, but she never came to us. I know the bartenders don't like being called on, so we waited and figured she would get to us, but nothing. We looked up at her, and she just looked away while randomly handing beers to the walk-up customers. So we walked away.

We also had a couple of drinks at the poolside bars at Cabana Bay and can only say that we got stiffed once. The Atomic Tonic bartender we met the first night made the drinks strong and it only cost be $5 for a White Russian wells. The other poolside bar cost be $9 for the same drink. The next night I ordered a double from Atomic Tonic, and the new bartender charged me $20! I'm not sure what happened with the pricing, but that was absolutely insane. We'll bring our own liquor next time.
Most of the bars in the hotels have happy hour where well drinks and draft beers are $5
At Sapphire the pool bar starts happy hour at 7 - some of the other bars are from 3-5 - I'm guessing that may have been the issue.
I always ask when I site down in one of the hotel bars about happy hour
What I dont like is the pool bars automatically add a tip - even if you are sitting at the bar - I am going to tip them but there is no incentive for them to make any effort if they are tipped automatically.

As for Chez Alcatraz - that is pretty off - the bartender jobs at universal are pretty hard to get from what I understand. Chez Alcatraz may not be the best - but it is a good foot in the door - seems like someone who needs to find a new line or work - or was just having a bad day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter