Favorite (Present Day) Disney Tip

Another tip I'm using this trip is to use a portable umbrella as shade when you can't find any! I usually pack an umbrella in my park bag in case of rain, and never thought to use it as shade!
I tried this on one of my trips last year and it was awesome!!! I don't know why I didn't do this earlier in my life! :)

Ziploc bags (both quart and gallon sized). I bring the freezer bags since they are heavier duty and hold up to being jostled around better.
Lip balm with sunscreen. This is a must-have for me.
Invest in a decent rain jacket. I'm not a fan of ponchos, as they flop around alot and they never seem to keep me dry.

I tried this on one of my trips last year and it was awesome!!! I don't know why I didn't do this earlier in my life! :)
I know, right? Simple tip that I never thought about. I obviously must never see other people doing this either, otherwise it would have occurred to me!

Moleskin for feet
Cortisone cream for bug bites
If room has a Keurig bring pods in preferred flavor
Plastic or silicon reusable straws
Individual hand sanitizer wipes or gel
Buy bulk disposable ponchos online before arriving
Light pashmina wrap for freezing restaurants
Put plans into a Google sheet everyone can access

Not disney specific but....
Just returned from a weekend away. My DD is a bit of a Houdini. I packed a bell on a string to hang on the door. We stayed in a condo so lots of room and the door was not always within line of sight. Welp last day away she figured out how to open the door...the bell was loud so she didnt get far.
If you are traveling with an escape artist pack a bell and some string to hang it.

Assuming the ride isn't broken down, getting into the ride's queue just before official park closing time is a fantastic way to experience some of the more in-demand rides. It's kind of the opposite end of rope drop - you close down the park with an extra attraction, and can potentially do so with a lower wait time.

If driving... Do not panic and stop without warning, do not pull over along the side of the road, and do not suddenly cut across multiple lanes because you are lost or afraid you are about to miss your turn. There are multiple ways to get to anywhere on Disney property, with lots of optional turn arounds and alternate routes. If you missed your turn, simply follow the signs and take the next turn that leads you to the same destination. If you are unsure where you are going, wait until you reach a spot to safely pull into a parking lot or gas station before stopping to figure out how best to proceed. Relax and know that you can get to anywhere you want to go on Disney property from anywhere else, and via multiple different routes.

The other tip that is too often overlooked is to listen to your children and other family members so that you can take breaks when necessary. Yes, a WDW vacation is expensive, and yes some of us are dedicated pre-planners. You may have your list of "must-dos" and a carefully planned itinerary to maximize the number of experiences you can fit into a single vacation. But if your children or other family members become over-heated, tired, &/or hungry... stop and listen. There is a point at which it is wiser to let go of plans and schedules and take a much-needed break. Find a quiet, air-conditioned area to sit and relax, grab a cold drink &/or a QS snack/meal, and consider heading back to the resort for some pool time or a nap. Things rarely go well when family members - children or adults - are pushed beyond their limits. Make happy memories, even if that means you occasionally need to adjust your plans to incorporate a little extra down time.

Some years ago, when I planned my very first Disney World trip as an adult, this was my single favorite thread on this board: https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-disney-tip-are-you-really-glad-you-listened-to.772074/

I read every single tip, a few per day until the day of my trip and it was the best thing ever. While many of the tips are still valid, a lot has changed too. So I was thinking maybe I could start an updated thread for more modern tips. I'll start:

I think the most useful advice I can give for today's travelers is to make sure to check for Genie+/ILL drops throughout the day and particularly around noon. It seems like Disney holds back a few valuable ones so a timely refresh could work out for you.
Great idea. Thanks

Moleskin for feet
Great tips right there!! That moleskin is a LIFESAVER!

I agree with the sun umbrella . It is a must have for me . I would have passed out last summer without mine .

My biggest tip in these new times is to grab clean towels at the pool . It’s so frustrating if you don’t have them when you get back from the parks and need them to shower . Also , put them in the towel return so you don’t have wet towels everywhere. Better yet have your teenage son return them ! 🤣

Moleskin for feet
I was so glad I brought silicone straws last trip....bought a set that came with carrying pods and a cleaning brush. So much easier to enjoy the frozen drinks (mmmmm frozen chai lattes!) using silicone straws instead of paper straws or no straw at all.

Your tips for safe driving are so very important.
The traffic on property has increased with a lot of potential risks .
but it is true.
Lots of construction and detours too

So glad I found this thread. I haven’t been down in years, so it’ll be nice to get updates tips. Also, love the ideas about slowing down and enjoying the details.

Another tip I'm using this trip is to use a portable umbrella as shade when you can't find any! I usually pack an umbrella in my park bag in case of rain, and never thought to use it as shade!

We brought solar umbrellas with us on our last trip and they were amazing. Felt like it was a good 10 degrees cooler standing under them. And in the pouring rain, they worked great for that, too!

It's a popular tip, but a good one: don't panic and leave the park when it starts to rain! If you don't have a raincoat/poncho/umbrella, just duck into an indoor ride, show, restaurant, or gift shop. Weather in Florida goes as fast as it comes, and when the rain passes, you'll be able to walk on everything because of how many people raced back to their hotels.

So maybe everyone else already knew this, but I just found out this week that if you download the Play Disney App there are all kinds of fun little things you can do in Galexy's Edge including accepting "missions" and translating the text in the land. I haven't tried yet, but sounds like fun!

With MNSSHP starting, I thought this would be a good time to add this tip to the list: if you're not planning to watch a parade make sure you don't get trapped on the wrong side from the rides you want to do. I learned this one the hard way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter