• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorites with kids at Disney Springs?

jldeahl

Mouseketeer
Our family is planning to hit Disney Springs for the bulk of our arrival day. We’ve never been to DS before and want to make the most of it. We’ll have our 8 year old son, 6 year old daughter and an infant. We’re not big shoppers, just looking for fun and an experience. What are the must do’s?

For dinner - we’re thinking about TRex, Splittsville or Jock Lindsey’s, but are very willing to consider other options. (Prioritizing experience/atmosphere over food.) Which would you go with?

Thanks all!

DS is pretty much a large shopping experience so dining and shopping are the main options. Splittsville has bowling and there is a movie theater but other than that, there's not a lot to do. There is a tiny carousel and train but those only take a few minutes each and are paid options.

The Lego store normally has areas where there are huge bins of Lego for the kids to play with and build things. Not sure if those are available right now or not.

In the past there was some live entertainment but again, not sure if it's currently being offered and is more something to watch rather than something to do.

There are some fountains that spray water out of the ground but last I heard those had not been turned on.

We don't bother with a table service dinner on arrival day because everyone is tired so getting the kids to sit through a meal isn't worth the effort. We really like Polite Pig as a "fast casual" dinner that pleases everyone. Their meats are great but the side items are the real stars.

If you're going around the holidays, they have had a Christmas tree display and Santa. Can't imagine they'll have Santa this year but they may the trees since it's outdoors. TRex was probably my worst dining experience in my life (so loud and mediocre food) but kids seem to like it for the experience.

I second the Polite Pig for Ds. Although with little ones Chicken guy may be more appealing.

Unless you're bowling or seeing a movie, there isn't a whole lot of kid friendly activities there to stay busy right now. The water sprinklers by the toy store are back on, but the Lego play areas are still closed. It's really mostly restaurants and shops. The M&M store has been a hit with kids we've taken, though it'll cost ya $$$.

Evening entertainment has returned - you'll happen upon quite a few live bands as you wander, many of which attached to restaurants but also at the DS stages. During the day there isn't much going on.

There are occasionally holiday special events - sidewalk chalk artists, photo ops, Christmas trees, etc. Follow Disney Springs on Insta to keep up with those - they do a good job publicizing things.

I don't think you can go wrong with any restaurant there. Jock Lindsey's is really a bar, so I don't know I'd choose it with kids but maybe earlier in the evening if they are good with appetizers?

Kids should love T-Rex! The food's nothing special (not bad though just pretty average chain-style stuff), but it's a cool place.

Our family enjoys Raglan Road. Good food and usually either music or dancing. I remember when my son was not quite 1, sitting in his high chair clapping to the music. We've done outdoor dining there during covid and in April there was a band playing outside. T-rex Cafe had a fun atmosphere but really blah food. Next time we go, the kids are getting meals while the adults split an appetizer. (I will eat an ahi tuna bowl from the Yesake kiosk afterwards...tastier and cheaper).

I second the amphicar. Maybe the flight from the coke store? My kids have always liked trex. They have a build a bear in there but it's a build a Dino. Atmosphere is neat. Food is nothing special.

Raglan Road seconded, its fun for both adults and kids. And the food is excellent.
Another vote for Raglan Road. We've been going since our kids were small and while we probably started going there because it was attractive to us adults, the kids really enjoyed it and still love going 15 years later.

We haven't been to T-Rex but it's probably also a solid option. I also think the Coca-Cola Rooftop Patio Bar might be fun. You can get a tray of several international soda samples to try as a family and it's on the 3rd floor with a neat view of the Springs.

I'm not sure when you're going but if the boats are running again, you can take a ride to some of the resorts (Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside). Even if you don't want to stop at the resort, the ride there and back can be fun on a nice day/night.

Goofy's Candy Company can be fun for some treats, including a few things they make for you to order.

I know you said you're not much for shopping but World of Disney can be worth a look just due to its size. There's also a Star Wars Trading Post if anyone is into that, and our daughters do enjoy the Ron Jon Surf Shop since it's different than anything we have at home. I'm not a shopper either but I enjoy those.

We took our four year old bowling and he loved it. The train was also a hit - no lineup and very inexpensive. He rode three times.

My kids loved the bowling alley - it was a cool atmosphere and they loved that there's a picture of Mickey on all of the bowling balls :earsboy: Food was pretty good as well!

There is a tiny train and a carousel that the 6 year old may like.
Raglan road sounds like a great idea
Amphicar (or just wandering around the dock and looking at all the cool boats the boathouse has)
Hot air Balloon
Cirque du soleil is coming back next month
Maybe share something from Ghiradelli or ganachery
The store attached to The Boathouse is strangely awesome (tons of themed rubber ducks) and the hat store across the way is fun!
Face painting
I know they opened an M&M store - but I have yet to go. *I have likely misspelled about 10 things here

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter