• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FB question...can I block some posts but not the entire person?

sksjasams

DIS Veteran
I am not on my FB that often, so my issues are regarding whats showing up on DS14's facebook.

Oldest DsS32 is filling his newsfeed with constant political/controversial shares. I mean constantly. It started in Dec right after Sandy Hook, so I thought as time passed it would let up, but it hasn't. DsS32 has never even indicated he had these viewpoints, and they have never ever come up in conversation. These are viewpoints we do not agree on at all.

DS14 says he just ignores these posts, but it is so excessive that I would like to know if there is a way to block only those types of posts, but not regular ones like pictures of DGkids.

Thanks for your help!

Hover on the post and you should see an arrow appear in the upper right corner of it. Click on the hide option and after that post goes away there is a choice to change what updates you see from person. I would pick the important updates only It isn't a perfect match for what you want to do, but will filter some of them out.

I am not on my FB that often, so my issues are regarding whats showing up on DS14's facebook.

Oldest DsS32 is filling his newsfeed with constant political/controversial shares. I mean constantly. It started in Dec right after Sandy Hook, so I thought as time passed it would let up, but it hasn't. DsS32 has never even indicated he had these viewpoints, and they have never ever come up in conversation. These are viewpoints we do not agree on at all.

DS14 says he just ignores these posts, but it is so excessive that I would like to know if there is a way to block only those types of posts, but not regular ones like pictures of DGkids.

Thanks for your help!

Are they inappropriate or is it that you just don't agree with them? I mean if your ds has no problem ignoring them, what is the big deal (as long as they aren't inappropriate). You do realize that your kids will be exposed to things you don't agree with through out their lives. Shielding them from it seems a bit extreme.

Thanks for your help!

Are you not teaching your ds to be tolerant and respectful of others' opinions? Do you want him to be narrow-minded?

Opinions with which you don't agree can be excellent teaching tools in learning to articulate one's own positions.

Hover on the post and you should see an arrow appear in the upper right corner of it. Click on the hide option and after that post goes away there is a choice to change what updates you see from person. I would pick the important updates only It isn't a perfect match for what you want to do, but will filter some of them out.

This. You can select individual posts to hide, once they're already posted, but you can't tell facebook which posts are considered political and controversial, so you can't prevent only certain posts from him from showing up.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!
But this also means that you will have to log into DS's FB page and hide them before he sees them. That sounds like a lot of work just to hide posts that he already says he just ignores. It seems like you would constantly be having to check his FB.

I just did a "hide" on my cousin for the same reason. I've also unfriended a few acquantences, not people I really know. I don't need political ads.

Last fall he kept sending me political e-mails that I disagreed with and I finally just told him to stop. He was ticked at me but I was sick of it. The one that threw me over the edge was an e-mail with pictures making fun of one of a candidate's wife.

But this also means that you will have to log into DS's FB page and hide them before he sees them. That sounds like a lot of work just to hide posts that he already says he just ignores. It seems like you would constantly be having to check his FB.

I did a hide from newsfeed that automatically hides all his posts. I can still check his wall.

Once you hide the one post, you get the option to filter further posts so they wouldn't be hiding each post. You don't have an option to hide "political" posts or anything like that, but you can reduce them to only seeing "important" posts from that person.

I have my ex hidden, mainly because he will post 100 pictures one at a time and take up my whole newsfeed. I just go to his page once a week or so to see if anything important has happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter