FE .. Problems with People Taking Stuff

We were on the 2013 EBPC and had no trouble with kids or the FE. It was a fantastic trip.

Well, I know from being a teacher kids can be talked into things if they feel like no one is looking/watching. Good kids who have been taught better. Because the ship has parts much more isolated than the crowded parks, I can see the potential for kids getting into/causing trouble. I think parents should know when their kids leave the clubs and check into the clubs, since some may say they are going to the clubs and never get there or leave and roam. This is almost a safety issue. Do all the hallways on the ships have security of any kind, human or tech? The kids could be abused by their peers or worse in these areas, things much more serious than stealing from the fish extenders and harassing other passengers.

This thread.... :( I was even thinking of doing the magnets but if doing them just makes our door a target for thieves...I can imagine my kids' reactions to decorating their door, and coming back and seeing them missing. I think it would just deflate them.

Maybe I'll get the magnets done but leave them here for them to use at home.

And I guess it depends on the kids. My 13-year-old doesn't want to "roam" because she's worried about "bad" kids and getting caught in the middle of something, or being made fun of about her clothing (she hates "sexy" clothing and dresses modestly - all her BTW, we have nothing to do with it), etc.

It's a shame some bad apples have the potential of ruining what is supposed to be a good time by a lot of hardworking people.

I too had the thought of if someone needed it that bad .. help themselves because they obviously needed it more .. but it would be disappointing to put effort and money into something only to have someone with sticky fingers help themselves. I really hadn't given it a thought until I realized just how close we are to the elevator and stairs. We really like that area for ease in getting up and down to where we want to be ...
We stayed in this stateroom last cruise, and the only issue WE had was people who felt it was appropriate to let their children run up and down the stairs screaming at all hours. To our knowledge, no theft from our door, and we had tons of magnets. We did not do the FE, but only because we booked pretty close to sail date.

This thread.... :( I was even thinking of doing the magnets but if doing them just makes our door a target for thieves...I can imagine my kids' reactions to decorating their door, and coming back and seeing them missing. I think it would just deflate them.

Maybe I'll get the magnets done but leave them here for them to use at home.

And I guess it depends on the kids. My 13-year-old doesn't want to "roam" because she's worried about "bad" kids and getting caught in the middle of something, or being made fun of about her clothing (she hates "sexy" clothing and dresses modestly - all her BTW, we have nothing to do with it), etc.

It's a shame some bad apples have the potential of ruining what is supposed to be a good time by a lot of hardworking people.
Really, the probability of anything being stolen is fairly low. In all the cruises that I've done magnets on our door (and I do a lot of magnets), we've only had 2 stolen. As for gifts being taken from FEs - there really wouldn't be anyway of knowing what's missing, unless everyone who gives a gift confirms with everyone they gave one to that it was received. If you don't know it's missing, it doesn't really effect your cruise at all.

Unfortunately we regularly have had magnets stolen from our doors, we personalise them with our door number printed within the magnet picture but this doesn't stop the unruly few taking them. We have found some on other doors on other decks implying they were taken to use, we know there ours as said our number is on them. We over print the number required to replace the stolen ones.

This annoying behaviour seems to be on all cruises and does effect you but as said we now make allowances for it in advance but it's still disappointing.

On a past PC cruise there were a couple of teens that were trouble. I think the older kids got bored and got into quite a bit of mischief. They posted Youtube videos of their antics and Disboarders contacted DCL.

Wow! Not cool at all. Hopefully DCL did something about it.

We have found some on other doors on other decks implying they were taken to use

But they could have easily been taken by someone entirely different, then put on a random door. It doesn't mean THEY took it, and in fact I would think it means exactly the opposite given the identification on the magnets.

If a magnet etc is taken, I personally would assume a 3 year old did it and move on. The parents will find it or not, it will be returned or not, it's a magnet. Make a ton more and replace if needed.

Of course cruiseships have cameras; everywhere but bathrooms and pointed into staterooms.

But they could have easily been taken by someone entirely different, then put on a random door. It doesn't mean THEY took it, and in fact I would think it means exactly the opposite given the identification on the magnets.

If a magnet etc is taken, I personally would assume a 3 year old did it and move on. The parents will find it or not, it will be returned or not, it's a magnet. Make a ton more and replace if needed.

Of course cruiseships have cameras; everywhere but bathrooms and pointed into staterooms.
True, if we found them on say a few cabins down I would put it down to kids playing around, if it's on a few decks lower, you would think as cruisers go in and out of their room they May notice it and think, where did that come from?
Yes they were able to track them down and supposedly banned them from cruising, according to the kid posting on his youtube site.
There is silly games and theft, the issue us there is a blurred line between what is what, I think if it's not yours do not take, people put a lot of effort into it, but we have them taken, also if you are in concierge some think it's funny to play knock down ginger, ring the door bell and fun, even at 2 am.

Parents of kids in 'tween and teen clubs know when they do registration that their kids have free reign to check themselves in/out and that some of the activities include "around the ship" type things (i.e. scavenger hunt), and as far as I have seen it's not a true problem, more of a sporadic one. From someone who has cruised half a dozen times, I have never encountered anything beyond mild mischief (packs of giggling kids in the elevators, someone hitting all the buttons for all the floors, a few magnets moved from our door to those around us, etc), and I have never seen anything that warranted security on every floor to redirect groups of kids.

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. Looks like we will go for it and hope for the best. We'll definitely zip tie the FE. Thanks for that tip!
Your cabin could be safer because of more traffic. The only time I know of anyone not getting things, 2 friends of mine were in the same group, and one got very little when they would compare at dinner. The friend who didn't get much was surrounded by a rather large extended family in multiple cabins, and they were very rude to my friend in the hall and to my kids in the teen clubs. So, we don't know for sure but have a pretty good idea who took their gifts.

it is entirely possible that you will get people taking stuff from your FE. usually kids goofing around, since there may be a lot of unattended kids on the ship (teens and tweens can come and go from their clubs as they please). There have also been a few isolated incidents of vandalized or stolen FEs. One cruise I was on (I don't do FE) a neighbor had someone put a fistful of fruit into their FE and squash it.
That's just mean!

If this is true, then those cameras are as useless as the security cameras the Radisson has installed in its parking lot because no one is monitoring them. The incidents from that PC repo made us realize that there are not cameras in the hallways of the ships with security monitoring activity. If there were, there is no way the lewd and malicious vandalism that occurred during that cruise would have been allowed to continue. It wasn't an isolated incident. One night these kids walked the halls for hours doing things that can't even be posted here.

I was recently on the Magic and there were complaints about theft from the FE's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter