Fear of heights and Skyliner

Elmo888

DIS Veteran
Hi -
We haven't been since 2017, which was before the Skyliner was open. I need someone with a similar fear of heights to weigh in, so I am going to describe my fear in detail. I know some people have a worse case and some people have a more mild case. I would love to ride the Skyliner in theory, but I don't know if I can handle it. I need to make dining reservations and we are staying at Beach Club, so this could impact where I consider dining.

I am fine if I can't see or if it is quick. I love Space Mountain and have been riding that since I was a small child; Rockin' Rollercoaster is fun; I like Expedition Everest if I don't look down on the first uphill climb; Tower of Terror is fine and quick but I always request the back row; Soarin is my least favorite, and I always request the back/bottom row. I continue to do those attractions because I enjoy the thrills and/or the feeling of being transported. I would never do Hulk or Rip Ride Rocket at Universal.

In the real world, what I really don't like (almost refuse to ride) is elevators with windows open to the outside world or very long escalators (if you are in the Dallas area, the Perot Museum escalators are the worst and I opt for the elevators). Stairs with holes aren't may favorite either - I usually try to find another option. If I have to use one of these, I look at the wall or my feet or the back of the person in front of me in the case of stairs or escalator.

In my mind, the Skyliner is something similar to an elevator with windows. If that's the case, forget it.

If you have a similar fear of heights and have experienced the Skyliner, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

I don't have a fear of heights, but I can tell you that even as a person who is not afraid of heights, sometimes the view from the Skyliner catches me off guard - as in, holy smokes, we're really high up and there's nothing between us and the ground. So I would say that someone with a pretty severe fear of heights might find the Skyliner really difficult to do. You definitely have a full, open, sweeping view of everything around you and it's very clear how far off the ground you are at all times.

The spouse has a fear of heights and was able to ride it but honestly it was an ordeal. He cant do most thrill rides or coasters. Absolutely HATES 'view' rides that just take you up and show you the view. Took him on the Eiffel Tower at King's Island once and he held onto the wall. In your case I'd avoid it.

I don't have a fear of heights, but I can tell you that even as a person who is not afraid of heights, sometimes the view from the Skyliner catches me off guard - as in, holy smokes, we're really high up and there's nothing between us and the ground. So I would say that someone with a pretty severe fear of heights might find the Skyliner really difficult to do. You definitely have a full, open, sweeping view of everything around you and it's very clear how far off the ground you are at all times.
I do not have a fear of heights. I love thrill rides and coasters of all kinds. The Skyliner was terrifying to me. Like white knuckle periodic gasping the whole trip. IMO, you absolutely do not want to ride them.
The skyliner is exactly an elevator with windows. In your case I would avoid it.

Thank you! This is helpful. I was hoping that it felt more like a room with windows, like a plane or the monorail. I am fine on the monorail - why didn't they build more of those??? (Cost, I know) I will definitely avoid the Skyliner!

I'm another person who has the exact same fears as you do. I won't ride in outside elevators but don't have any issues with TOT, EE, or RnRC.

I tried the Skyliner twice the last time I was there as an attempt to "face my fears". The first time I rode from Riviera to CBR and nearly fainted. The second time I rode from Riviera to Epcot, kept my eyes closed the entire time, and nearly had a panic attack.

I won't be doing the Skyliner again, although I dearly love the concept. Not until I get my fear of heights under control.

Yep, stay away from it. Not only is it all glass (although you can't see through the floor so there is that) there is the rare occasion it will stop for a little or more than a little time. That is very rare but it does happen. We don't ride it because my son is not fond of heights, not really afraid to the point of panic but not fond and he claustrophobic. That is the big one for him. Although it is open it is high and a box, heaven forbid that thing gets stuck for longer than 2 min.

I'm another person who has the exact same fears as you do. I won't ride in outside elevators but don't have any issues with TOT, EE, or RnRC.

I tried the Skyliner twice the last time I was there as an attempt to "face my fears". The first time I rode from Riviera to CBR and nearly fainted. The second time I rode from Riviera to Epcot, kept my eyes closed the entire time, and nearly had a panic attack.

I won't be doing the Skyliner again, although I dearly love the concept. Not until I get my fear of heights under control.
This is really helpful. It sounds very similar to me. I didn't think that you could get fear of heights under control - can you? I have had it since I was a young child, and I am not young now (nor a child :)). It is difficult to explain - it isn't a fear of something happening. It is something that I feel in my bones. I can get the same feeling watching something involving heights on TV.

This is really helpful. It sounds very similar to me. I didn't think that you could get fear of heights under control - can you? I have had it since I was a young child, and I am not young now (nor a child :)). It is difficult to explain - it isn't a fear of something happening. It is something that I feel in my bones. I can get the same feeling watching something involving heights on TV.
I don't get the same feeling watching something involving heights on TV, so there's that. I keep telling myself I'm going to 'get over' this fear and I work on it in hopes that I can get a handle on it. I truly want to love the Skyliner. :sad1:

My wife hates glass elevators and wouldn't get on a Ferris wheel at gunpoint. She was concerned about the Skyliner but wanted to try it for the experience. She did fine, and we rode it from HS, the entire loop back to HS. Now it was a one and done for her. I didn't care one way or the other. It was just transportation to me; basically a bus on a string.

If you are at Beach Club, you won't need to use the Skyliner anyway. You can walk or boat to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. We are at Swan this week and my son really wanted to ride the Skyliner, so we figured we could ride from EPCOT to HS and then walk back. What we found out is that the Skyliner goes from EPCOT to Riviera resort, then you need to transfer to HS. Took almost 30 minutes- not direct at all!

The worst (highest) run seems to be between Riviera and CBR. I am afraid of heights and do not look down, and find it better at night when I can't see. Kiddo doesn't like if it isn't "balanced" as he thinks it rocks too much.

We stayed at CBR last week and used it quite a bit to HS, Epcot, Riviera, etc. I have a fear of heights. I can do roller coasters and such with not much problem at all because they move fast, but I will have a full-blown panic attack on a Ferris wheel, especially during the loading time.

I was nervous on the first Skyliner ride when it first took off. Deep breaths. It wasn't too bad at all. I did realize I preferred to sit so that I am looking in the direction it is traveling and to sit more center in the car, not next to the door. After that first trip, it was a breeze and I wasn't scared at all and enjoyed the views in the distance. I didn't do a lot of looking directly down. The only time it made me nervous was a little bumping when the wire goes through the pole tracks. At night it's dark so you can't even see you're high so that's really okay. Now, granted, it never stopped while I rode so that might have made me more nervous like a Ferris wheel.

Hi -
We haven't been since 2017, which was before the Skyliner was open. I need someone with a similar fear of heights to weigh in, so I am going to describe my fear in detail. I know some people have a worse case and some people have a more mild case. I would love to ride the Skyliner in theory, but I don't know if I can handle it. I need to make dining reservations and we are staying at Beach Club, so this could impact where I consider dining.

I am fine if I can't see or if it is quick. I love Space Mountain and have been riding that since I was a small child; Rockin' Rollercoaster is fun; I like Expedition Everest if I don't look down on the first uphill climb; Tower of Terror is fine and quick but I always request the back row; Soarin is my least favorite, and I always request the back/bottom row. I continue to do those attractions because I enjoy the thrills and/or the feeling of being transported. I would never do Hulk or Rip Ride Rocket at Universal.

In the real world, what I really don't like (almost refuse to ride) is elevators with windows open to the outside world or very long escalators (if you are in the Dallas area, the Perot Museum escalators are the worst and I opt for the elevators). Stairs with holes aren't may favorite either - I usually try to find another option. If I have to use one of these, I look at the wall or my feet or the back of the person in front of me in the case of stairs or escalator.

In my mind, the Skyliner is something similar to an elevator with windows. If that's the case, forget it.

If you have a similar fear of heights and have experienced the Skyliner, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Yep, that sounds like my partner...and he can't stand Skyliner. Terrified to even consider it, I got him on it once and he said I tried to kill him! We don't even stay at our previous-home resort (Pop) anymore because it would require either Skyliner or Uber to two of the parks.

I do have a fear of heights, but I've ridden the Skyliner multiple times.
I'm ok if I look at the car in front of or behind me, or out, but not down (so I can focus on a more distant landscape, not the ground). I's usually fast enough that it doesn't bother me. The only exception was once when there was a storm approaching and we stopped for several minutes.

I don't have a fear of heights in general, but I need to feel secure. The Skyliner sways back and forth and made frequent stops when I was on it. I don't like that feeling, or the thought that nothing will protect me if I fall. Some parts of the route are higher off of the ground than others. I won't be getting back on because I don't need that added stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter