• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fear of heights and Skyliner

I don't have a fear of heights in general, but I need to feel secure. The Skyliner sways back and forth and made frequent stops when I was on it. I don't like that feeling, or the thought that nothing will protect me if I fall. Some parts of the route are higher off of the ground than others. I won't be getting back on because I don't need that added stress.
Same. Heights don’t bother me much and I was fine on the skyliner until it stopped and bounced or swayed. Then it freaked me out. And it does get pretty high at one point.

the trade off was that I saw fireworks from it and everything lit up at night :)

If by some chance you decide to try it take one of the shorter runs first IE from Hollywood studios so you can get off at the next stop and take a bus. The run from Epcot is the longest part and has a turn tower that is slow and most of the ride is over roads and parking lots. The HS run is mostly a view of resort from above or more of a view like Soarin. But as others have said it is hard not to see out but maybe possible to look at the car on front of you and concentrate your vision on the number on the car.

I cannot stand the Ferris wheel but never met a coaster i didn't like. I was okay on the skyliner except when it began and ended. It swings unexpectedly, almost like the doors that Boo and Sully ride in the movie Monsters, Inc. There is also a wicked turn where you get that swing again, i think on the Epcot ride.

I do not have a fear of heights. I love thrill rides and coasters of all kinds. The Skyliner was terrifying to me. Like white knuckle periodic gasping the whole trip. IMO, you absolutely do not want to ride them.
Thats so interesting to me. I would say I have a mild fear of heights, I'm not a fan of elevators with windows or being high up in general. But I absolutely love the Skyliner and have never had any kind of fear on it. It's the main reason I pretty much exclusively stay at Pop now.

I have a fear of heights and have not ridden the skyliner.
I know that it is not for me (as I think you do too:),, so I won't put myself in that situation. I don't think I'm missing much. I like the buses and boats. Go with the feeling that you get when you think of it. Will it be windy and swing? Will it stop for something for a while? Lots to consider, but I will definitely not ride it.

I'm terrified of heights-no Soarin, roller coasters, ferris wheels, stairs w/out backs, elevators, high escalators-any of it. I get queasy looking down from the top of a flight of stairs & can't get on a ladder. That said when we were in Vail a few years back I tried the cable car up to the mountaintop. How else am I get there right? Big mistake! Thank goodness DH & I were in it alone. I screamed, cried, gasped for air & shook for hours afterward. The thought of the skyliner makes me cringe-I'll never even think of attempting it. If your fears are even slightly like mine I'd say you attempting it is probably not a good idea. Good luck with your decision!

I am always afraid it is not going to stop as it approaches the next station, the heights didn't bother me as much.

Hi -
We haven't been since 2017, which was before the Skyliner was open. I need someone with a similar fear of heights to weigh in, so I am going to describe my fear in detail. I know some people have a worse case and some people have a more mild case. I would love to ride the Skyliner in theory, but I don't know if I can handle it. I need to make dining reservations and we are staying at Beach Club, so this could impact where I consider dining.

I am fine if I can't see or if it is quick. I love Space Mountain and have been riding that since I was a small child; Rockin' Rollercoaster is fun; I like Expedition Everest if I don't look down on the first uphill climb; Tower of Terror is fine and quick but I always request the back row; Soarin is my least favorite, and I always request the back/bottom row. I continue to do those attractions because I enjoy the thrills and/or the feeling of being transported. I would never do Hulk or Rip Ride Rocket at Universal.

In the real world, what I really don't like (almost refuse to ride) is elevators with windows open to the outside world or very long escalators (if you are in the Dallas area, the Perot Museum escalators are the worst and I opt for the elevators). Stairs with holes aren't may favorite either - I usually try to find another option. If I have to use one of these, I look at the wall or my feet or the back of the person in front of me in the case of stairs or escalator.

In my mind, the Skyliner is something similar to an elevator with windows. If that's the case, forget it.

If you have a similar fear of heights and have experienced the Skyliner, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
I hated every second on the Skyliner. I too am afraid of heights.

But, on the one occasion I rode it, my DD and DS wanted to return to BC from DHS and they were too tired to walk. It is a no-go for me in future stays.

I don’t have a fear of heights I just don’t like dangling from a cable. I hate ski lifts. I rode the skyline in January it was fine, but I wouldn’t like to do it a lot. I would say you would not like it.

I guess I have a different opinion from others. I'm deathly afraid of heights and I *love* riding the Skyliner. I don't feel unsafe at all. But I do agree with people who say that you should avoid it if you're really nervous about it. From the Beach Club, you have other transportation options to nearly anyplace else on property you want to go.

I also have a deathly fear of heights. As in, I can’t breath & freeze in place. No roller coasters or simulator rides. I was absolutely positive I was gonna die on Tower of Terror . We live in WNY but we haven’t been to Niagara Falls in over 20 years coz I have panic attacks. I can do Soarin with no problem, but I never sit on the end. No idea why I can do that one.

I was sure I was never setting foot inside the Skyliner, but figured I’d try it once. I love it!! It’s so much fun. I feel safe, even around the bend & when we have been stopped. We stay at YC every trip & we ride it sometimes just for fun. I honestly think you should try it for yourself once, because you may be surprised.

Last edited:
I have a fear of heights when I'm near an edge of a building or on a ladder. But the skyliner was fine. I've done the Sydney bridge tour and several Swiss ski trams as well. As someone who hates heights that could seem uncontrolled the skyliner is fine to me.

Motion sickness on the other hand.... My partner told me never again after our second (and I guess last ) trip. I thought he might jump out between Caribbean Beach and HS. I think our Ogas ressie is all that kept him in the carriage

I don’t like heights, but I can do the skyliner. I don’t look down and stay focused on something in the car. Try it on one of the short legs which are around a half mile.

I'm totally afraid of heights, but the skyliner was not a problem for me, I just didn't look out. Glass window elevators, even only going two stories, freak me out. Like somebody upthread said, I need to feel secure. The old open air skylifts, like the one that used to be at the Magic Kingdom, terrify me. I always rode with my eyes closed. In comparison, to me, the skyliner is nothing like that. I was comfortable with it because it was enclosed and I could focus on my family and the interior of the car. I did sneak a peak or two out the window, but if we were too high for my comfort, I was able to divert my attention back to my comfort zone within the car. But it sounds to me as though you have already convinced yourself that you will have difficulty with the ride. In that case, my advice is to avoid it. You are on vacation so don't do anything to stress yourself out. There are plenty of other transportation options,

I love most roller coasters, look straight ahead on the first hill at EE, have no problem now with ToT, after riding it numerous times. Wouldn't go on a ferris wheel to save my life. Grew up in Western NY and also hate Niagara Falls, still have nightmares about it and wouldn't let my kids out of the car the last time we went there. The gondola at Great Adventure in NJ is a nightmare for me. The Skyliner isn't quite as bad. As long as it keeps moving. But it stopped for 20 minutes last time I rode it and my sister and I were both about to have panic attacks--she can't even ride Soarin' without gritting her teeth and closing her eyes.

I think you'll hate it, honestly. But you'll never know until you try.

I have been thinking about this, too! Thanks, OP, for an excellent thread.

I do not like heights. I can tolerate high escalators by looking down, and glass elevators by doing the same.
I close my eyes the entire time on SDD, even when my son calls out the views of Galaxy's Edge.
I rode Soarin' once and cried the whole time. I can do the Magic Carpets and Dumbo by looking way out - and riding at night is much better.
I have never been on Astro Orbiter, but it seems like my idea of torture.
BTMRR and Barnstormer don't bother me because they are so fast/bumpy.

My family doesn't have any fears of riding the Skyliner. They really want to stay at RR next year. I love the look of the RR, but I am concerned that if I try the Skyliner and hate it, it will significantly impact our trip. I have no issue with spending money on Lyft or Uber, but I don't want to split up to travel everywhere.

Thank you! This is helpful. I was hoping that it felt more like a room with windows, like a plane or the monorail. I am fine on the monorail - why didn't they build more of those??? (Cost, I know) I will definitely avoid the Skyliner!
The biggest 2 differences comparing the monorails to the Skyliner:
1) The monorail has walls with windows. The Skyliner walls are windows. From the outside, they look solid. From the inside, you can easily see out - like the buses that have the picture wraps.

2) The monorail is firmly attached to the rail and feels really solid. The Skyliner sways unexpectedly and the forward motion is a little bit jerky. It also goes a little uphill or downhill at stations, so the cabin tilts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter