Feast of the Seven Fishes

Thanks for all of the ideas! I like the idea of doing a ciopinno, I can knock out several types of "fish" with one dish! Only 2 out of 6 of us really like seafood so I'm going to stretch a little with my recipes I think, Caesar salad dressing has anchovies right? LOL

That has been my experience with DH's Italian family. No meat on Christmas Eve, well except for the meat in the antipasto platter. We did have bread.

Ah, that's right. I forgot about the no meat on Christmas Eve cultural aspect. But my in-laws went overboard in the other direction. Everything HAD to have fish in it.

Thanks for all of the ideas! I like the idea of doing a ciopinno, I can knock out several types of "fish" with one dish! Only 2 out of 6 of us really like seafood so I'm going to stretch a little with my recipes I think, Caesar salad dressing has anchovies right? LOL

LOL...that ciopinno would have been "cheating." You had to have seven separate dishes. No combining 4 seafood items into one pot and having just three others.

I suppose a mixed seafood item was OK, as long as there were 6 other items.

Anchovies in the dressing counts in my book. :thumbsup2

The fish is in addition to the regular food - meat, pasta, veggies, salad, bread...I can't imagine anyone going hungry at an Italian holiday dinner! Tons of food.

Not in my family. Fish dishes and only fish dishes. And DEFINITELY no meat on Christmas Eve.

We are all seafood lovers in my (rather small) extended family so there's never been a problem with people not wanting to eat it.

]That might be the norm in some or most Italian families, but my in-laws ONLY served fish dishes on Christmas Eve.[/B] Everything had some kind of seafood in it, in the pasta, in the salads, etc. No bread or unnecessary vegetables to ruin your appetite for the fish.

Now on Christmas DAY, they had enough variety to satisfy a fish hater, but not for the Feast of the Seven Fishes.
My family and inlaws don't make any meat. But there is usually a pasta dish and or salad without seafood. My brother hates fish and seafood so he'll usually bring a chicken dish for himself.

In my family we have non-fish dishes (mostly side dishes) served alongside each fish dish. The menu changes from year to year but the first course is always Manhattan clam chowder, the second course is linguini with clams, and the third course is always baccala. There are usually a couple fried dishes, bread, vegetables, and a plate of assorted Christmas cookies for dessert.

My husbands family (he is one of 6) does this every Christmas eve. I have been doing this with them for 40 years. We arrive at my sister in laws and eat from 4pm til midnight. I bring the lobster tails, cannolis and bread. The food is always great. I don't care for the baccala (they use cherry peppers so its a bit hot) or eels, but the fish salad, linguini with clams, shrimp, baked clams are amazing!! Then we go to midnight Mass.

My husbands family (he is one of 6) does this every Christmas eve. I have been doing this with them for 40 years. We arrive at my sister in laws and eat from 4pm til midnight. I bring the lobster tails, cannolis and bread. The food is always great. I don't care for the baccala (they use cherry peppers so its a bit hot) or eels, but the fish salad, linguini with clams, shrimp, baked clams are amazing!! Then we go to midnight Mass.

Sounds like us! Go Jersey!!

I have never had it or known anyone who does (I live in the South and my ancestors were Scotch/Irish). However I want say that I think it is charming. I love the idea of carrying on traditional meals.

It would be sad if we were one big homogenized culture.

I did this one year for Christmas Eve. It was a little tricky because a family member is allergic to crustaceans so I could not do anything with shrimp, crab, or lobster. I served it as a seven course plated meal. It was a lot of work and a lot of food! By the end everyone was too full to enjoy the last course, which was too bad because it was one of the tastiest courses. My family is doing fish again for Christmas eve this year but I am cheating and just making a seafood stew. This was my menu:

chilled smoked salmon terrine
spicy tuna martini
seared bay scallops in champagne vinagrette over greens
New England clam chowder
sauteed squid with tomato and olive
coquilles St. Jacques
Roasted branzino with citrus and fennel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter