Feather hair extensions

I'm a college student and had never heard of this. I did some researching and found that the people who are wearing them are what we would consider "hipsters." :laughing:

If you want to do it, fine! I find that it doesn't look so bad naturally. However, the weird colors... I think I hate them.

I think Steven Tyler is making them popular, I noticed he had something in his hair but just assumed they were roach clips like we used in our hair in the 80's to get the same look:rotfl: I didn't know what they were, and they hurt a whole lot, but they looked good.... or so we thought.

I've gotten them in a few different colors. :thumbsup2 I haven't done research so I'm not sure if there are different ones out there, but the ones my hairdresser uses are "locked" onto the hair with a bracket. It's easily removed with pliers to loosen the bracket. The ones I had can be flat ironed, curled, and styled any way. I loved them, and thought they were fun! I did take mine out eventually, as I got my hair cut and I didn't think they looked as cute in my bob length hair. I kept them though, in case I grow my hair back out and want to put them back in.

I'm a teacher in a small rural district too, and I could definitely get away with this. One of my students has one right now, less extreme than the pic above. It's pretty subtle and looks cute.

Maybe it's because we're so small, but this is definitely not true in my school. The girls love to talk to us about any new clothes we wear. A new hairstyle on a teacher seems to be an exciting event.

Not rural (more outer suburbs), but our kids would love it if a super cool teacher did this. It makes the teacher more "real." I'd do it, too, if I weren't way too old for it!

Ohhh I'm a red head too and I love those pics you posted! Do it! :thumbsup2 I think I will for a great summer look. Hmmm wonder how it will fair with all the sun and pool.:confused3

No one over the age of 18 should get feather hair extensions. They look tacky. I know a girl who got them in a bright color in her dark brown hair and they look UGLY.

I was at the salon the other day and a girl (middle school) was getting them. The guy putting them in told her that she could curl and straighten them, and if they fell out she could come back in and get them put back in. So it seems like they're easy to care for.

I guess that is a matter of opinion:D.

I'm taking dd11 in for some next week, which is our last week of school. I let her get the regular colored extensions (in pink and purple) last summer about 2 wks before school was out. The day before, dh told me I "better not come home with any" so of course, I had one added to my hair. I'm brunette, but got one blonde extension. My students loved it! Of course, they usually do love the teachers who don't take themselves quite so seriously.........

Think I might have to get a few feathers next week now........:goodvibes

I'm a redhead. I'd love to have a look like this, but there's no way I have the guts to do it.

m.jpg

I'll probably go with something more along the lines of this, but with a lot fewer feathers.

b.jpg

I love these and both myself (34) and my dd8 have a few-hers are brigh mine are natural. All of her friends have them and lots of my friends do too, but nothing like those in the picture. At the $15-20 per feather they are charging here those sample pics would cost you $200-$300 in feathers!!

MO, which doesn't matter, is that they look ridiculous.

I do think, if someone puts them into their hair, that they should be able to "pull off the look." I would think you would have to have a certain total look (clothing, makeup, etc.) which is the same thing I think for some of the extreme hairstyles out there too.

It'd be a way to make $$ for me but I'm not so sure I'll go there.

To each their own and if you like it, want it, and wanna pay for it, do it and enjoy it!

Had to google them. They are kinda cute, but would look really ridiculous on anyone over the age of 20.

I'm 36, and my 20-something cousin put some in my hair on Easter. I still have them in. They are super easy to care for and are held in with a bracket. Pliers can open the bracket and you can take them out. They can be washed, straightened or curled. I have red hair and I have some caramel colored ones and a few red ones...just the one "strand". If I style my hair a certain way, I can hide them. I've gotten a ton of complements on them, wanting to know where I got them done. They are becoming more popular, so a lot of salons are upcharging because the feather prices are going up, now that people know they are in demand. My cousin actually contacted fly fisherman to buy feathers from them! :lmao: We all got them put in...my cousins, plus my aunts and mom who are all in their 50's and 60's. Have fun with it. :)

I'm 36, and my 20-something cousin put some in my hair on Easter. I still have them in. They are super easy to care for and are held in with a bracket. Pliers can open the bracket and you can take them out. They can be washed, straightened or curled. I have red hair and I have some caramel colored ones and a few red ones...just the one "strand". If I style my hair a certain way, I can hide them. I've gotten a ton of complements on them, wanting to know where I got them done. They are becoming more popular, so a lot of salons are upcharging because the feather prices are going up, now that people know they are in demand. My cousin actually contacted fly fisherman to buy feathers from them! :lmao: We all got them put in...my cousins, plus my aunts and mom who are all in their 50's and 60's. Have fun with it. :)

Ooh I bet the caramel colored ones are pretty! :goodvibes

So THAT is what my 51-year-old friend has in her hair. I kept staring at her at a meeting the other day trying to figure out what the heck those things were...it almost looked like the old Bo Derek bead thing going on. :rotfl:

To each their own. I think they look ridiculous on someone my age (I'm 51 as well, and pretty hip according to my teen daughter). I haven't noticed them on ANY kids in school (and I work there part-time so I see plenty of kids), just this one mom. :confused3

I made an appointment for June 2 to get some, so after that I'll be added to the list of ridiculous people well over 20 who have a few of them!;)

I'm a redhead. I'd love to have a look like this, but there's no way I have the guts to do it.

m.jpg

I'll probably go with something more along the lines of this, but with a lot fewer feathers.

b.jpg

Love that color hair!! I have been saying I want to go red for years and that is the color I want to do. maybe in the fall:rotfl2: I keep chickening out(I;m blonde now)

I think the feathers are cute. My dd says they are all the rage in her high school.

FIRST I've only read your original post.
I have feathers and I am 48, I have a small set of three.
My salon had just gotten them in when I was last in to get my
color done, it just so happens that the colors I chose are the same
ones Steven Tyle has, I saw them in the close up picture in People.
I was only the second set my stylist had done. I work for a very
consertive Dentist and I thought he'd have a comment but he hasn't
had anything to say in the three weeks I've had them. They are small
and it depends on how I style my hair as to wheather you can really see them. I had not seen any others until last week when the college kids
started coming home.
I say GO AHEAD AND GET THEM ! They are a great Summer look
If you get tied of them before your
next hair appointment you can take them out yourself.
I'm thinking about getting a second set on my next appointment :)

I think they're cute. When you choose a natural color they look like highlights from far off. Definitely not ridiculous. Maybe some people think if you're over 20 you have to run out and get a "Mom" haircut or wear a paper bag over your head but I'm not one of those people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter