Feb ‘24 edition: SEMI-LIVE solo dining adventures *Update 3/24 COMPLETE*

Basically the top is a jelly doughnut and the bottom is the same doughnut with no jelly. Filling is pulled pork and coleslaw. When you take bites, the jelly oozes out giving you the sweetness while the coleslaw adds freshness. I really like it.

Years ago I had a krispy kreme burger at the Kentucky State Fair and my brain just couldn’t process it and I just felt confused eating it. My brain happily processes this combination haha! I do really like sweet food too :)

Plus easy to get with short lines.

And yes @mickey916 Flame Tree’s beautifully fried, delightfully battered, sweet onion rings is just the right accompaniment!

That donut is going on my list for sure!

Just got back from a 10 day trip and per your advice, got a 1/2 baguette twice- ate one while there and brought another (along with the butter😂) home- simple perfection!

Just got back from a 10 day trip and per your advice, got a 1/2 baguette twice- ate one while there and brought another (along with the butter😂) home- simple perfection!

I’m missing my baguette lol! I did end up bringing some home too. It’s cheap, delicious, and one of the better ones I have had in North America - definitely a highlight for me!

Phew. It’s been a LONG time since my last update. I have been home for last while.

Anyway, back to the report. We left Orlando that weekend to spend 2 night in Spring Hill, near Weeki Wachee Springs State Park as I have been fascinated with the idea of real live mermaids still performing to this day. A trip there has never worked out until the stars finally aligned.

I needed to find an alternate place to stay because we were homeless between resorts. I often splitstay because I usually rent weeks in timeshare resorts from owners with confirmed reservations. I have to work with what’s available and because I am reluctant to pay over $1000/week, sometimes I have to be flexible with my dates (or burn nights).

This time I got a 2 bedroom condo in Sheraton Vistana Resort for 7 nights for $700 and then a 2 bedroom in the more expensive Club Wyndham Bonnet creek for 6 nights for $725.

I usually find owners directly (often on the Timeshare Users Group forum) or else I go on Redweek (where prices often vary from $700-$1500).

Anyway, I found a 2 bedroom waterfront cottage on Airbnb for $400 for 2 nights. The draw was free kayaks.

1F3619DE-B0EF-492B-8314-72F2B7F34894.jpeg

We saw manatees a few mins paddle from our cottage!

75A6A9A4-8ADF-45F0-855F-07B1BD7F9730.jpeg

Back to food. We paddled to the Upper Deck Cafe, a waterfront restaurant, docked our kayaks and climbed out to eat! So cool to get to do that :)

9F73297A-8908-4DC2-82EE-8E894A827F88.jpeg

I had a shrimp basket. It was pretty good but not the best. Decent enough and I was thrilled to get to paddle to a restaurant.
454AB448-A7C1-49D6-8F8B-32834AA83581.jpeg

And I also got to see the famous Weeki Wachee mermaids! Florida’s most popular tourist attraction before the Mouse came to steal their glory. The state park system runs it now - and they put on a pretty decent show for the $10/pp admission. I loved it (in all its tackiness) and Mom and D ended up being happy they decided to join me.

B9320B5F-555A-4B7A-B0B1-C02F2A7E07E9.jpeg

Attachments

• 9889164B-2536-427C-84CE-57E77B215934.jpeg
    9889164B-2536-427C-84CE-57E77B215934.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Wow. Mermaids!
Very impressive athleticism to do what they do underwater. And I was happily fascinated with silly tricks like drinking a bottle of pop underwater :) They do two shows a day and they’re usually at capacity.We lined up 45 mins early. We arrived about 5-10 mins after opening to a relatively empty parking lot and still missed a spot on their morning boat cruise so had to skip it entirely. Even here rope drop was important lol!

After our weekend away, we were on our way back to Disney World. We were hungry and kept an eye out for food options. Stopped off the highway at what looked like a small farmer’s market only to find barely any food options and a long 30-45 min wait even for a food truck.

We tossed around a lot of ideas. The biscuit place I wanted would be closed by the time we made it. Bahama Breeze happy hour? Only weekdays and today was a Sunday. Olive Garden soup and salad? That’s a lunch thing and we’d make it there by dinner time.

So we did what any roadtripper would do and found a Cracker Barrel. The inside was dark and super chaotic and noisy. I spotted someone on the patio and asked to be moved and we had a lovely table.

56263463-B95A-411B-AA62-C546F2133FB5.jpeg

It’s Cracker Barrel. It’s cheap, the food is good, what’s not to like? I only managed half my meal and took the rest back to the condo with us.

The next day, I finally made it to MK and my breakfast was a stuffed cream cheese pretzel I mobile ordered from The Lunching Pad. Yum. This one was fresh and full of delicious sweet cream cheese.

F11EE737-0970-44EA-B829-8FC472E8D90D.jpeg

However, my favourite way to eat this is what a jalapeno stuffed pretzel next to or layered with it - the two flavours together are fabulous. BUT at $7.79 each, that makes for a very expensive snack.

On our way to the cottage, we had discovered Wawa’s. Piping hot (soooo much better hot) stuffed pretzels for a few bucks each. And they have both jalapeno and sweet cream cheese.

To be fair, Disney’s are double to size of Wawa so they’re not too badly overpriced.

Next up was cheeseburger spring rolls. There was a crazy line for this all the way up the bridge. But it moved pretty quick. Afterwards I stopped for a Fanta dole whip float.

216D672D-CC1B-4219-BE6E-F6390AE78BA9.jpeg

Found a lovely table across from the Magic Carpets in Adventureland to enjoy my snacks.

Normally I adore the cheeseburger spring rolls. I’ve even had them for a light meal. Today, they felt so small. Especially for $9.50.

The Fanta dole whip was good- I like creamsicles. But somehow the floats are never as satisfying as the Tropical Serenade (pog juice, coconut soft serve, and a cake pop) from Aloha Isle.

F17C2429-8221-41AF-9F6C-8152C3D6A9FA.jpeg

Unfortunately my favourite Disney shoes (I have two pairs of Mickey Asics I bought some years ago) were wearing out. Which meant my feet were not getting proper support and my body was aching from all the activity every day. They had free dance and aquafit classes every day at Sheraton Vistana and I had attended a class daily so was pretty tired out by the time I made it to the parks. All this to say that I slowed down a lot by Week 2. Dinner was leftovers in the condo.

The next morning, I got a stuffed pancake in AK from Thirsty River Bar. I didn’t realize they sold food but spotted a sign as I walked past. They also had pretzels I believe.

62FA9402-1347-4364-B537-6A92C40C55B8.jpeg

I took it down to the seating area at the Yak&Yeti QS. There is a pretty pool of water in front of the restrooms and I was basically the only guest.

The pancake was pretty good. Just at $9.57 was really expensive for what is a sausage, jelly, egg and cheese sandwich. $6-7 would make more sense. Still, it’s served piping hot (thank you!) and the combo works well together if you like sweet (and oh I do!). Nice to have some protein at breakfast.

03DD1593-4C6B-4821-B894-3DDDE24A3E24.jpeg

Later I got street corn for the first time. Took me a while to find it as I had not noted that it was in the fruit stand. Snapped a blurry photo quickly.
813592FD-92D0-4B78-82C2-87094977FACC.jpeg

Wow. I paid $5.63 for a single ear of corn?! It was corn. Now don’t get me wrong, I love corn. Plain or with butter and salt, even drowned in honey. Where I grew up, it’s a common treat sold in snack stands everywhere. Mmm…the smell of fresh corn wafting through a shopping mall. Yum! But they only serve juicy corn laden in butter and salt.

But I just don’t care for grilled corn. It get a bit shrivelled and dry and charred. And while I like the slightly spicy topping on other things (meat!), I didn’t end up wanting it on my corn. This was my take the last time I had street corn (elsewhere) so now I officially give up on this popular snack. Just not my thing.

99221DB2-2866-416D-98C7-8EA998C0E585.jpeg

I had to redeem the day with more perfectly fried onion rings at Flame Tree BBQ sitting in my fave spot. I also got a mango slushie as I love both mangos and slushies. Unfortunately the mango tasted super artificial by itself without another flavour in there to balance it. Stick to mango lychee, mango peach or anything else. Unless it’s real mango. Go hunt down a good Chinese bubble tea place with real fruit in their windows. Then order their mango ice blended drink. Perfection.

672D3B4E-8AF1-4425-9C67-66F43A10105F.jpeg

18315F86-BFB3-4EDC-9556-8411EDFED3D2.png

Later, I got hungry (all these nibbles did not fill me up) but didn’t want to soend much. So I wondered about the Yak and Yeti Local Food Cafe. How bad could it be?

16B77FE4-85E7-4F43-8F3E-D2E02B04908D.jpeg

For $15.97, this was an insult to cheap Chinese food everywhere. Do you know how little chicken was in there?! The taste was about what you’d expect - overcooked and chewy in a basic honey sauce. But I thought I would get at least double the meat. Should’ve gotten a burger *sigh* I did sit in my fave pretty spot and was able to chill.

And got a good photo of my little Goofy Nuimo. Back in August last year, I found Nuimo clothes at the Disney Character Warehouse for $1.99 each set. So I got this winter outfit complete with ice skates (DH played ice hockey every Friday night most of his life).

8F6ED2F3-0CA9-410F-B033-F5A4BB6D859E.jpeg

I continue to enjoy carrying the little guy around in the parks.

71FB7A26-5A96-4488-97EF-89B3A268EB00.jpeg

Attachments

• FF8B20ED-925A-4B04-85AF-0DFE0B57085E.jpeg
    FF8B20ED-925A-4B04-85AF-0DFE0B57085E.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 6
I was getting really tired. And pretty overfed by this point. So I cancelled a couple of TS places (Liberty Tree Tavern and San Angel Inn) and ate more simple meals in the condo.

By the time I made it to Hollywood Studios at night, I was pretty hungry but most places were closed. My feet were killing me so I decided not to walk back to Woody’s for my fave totchos.

Instead I got a grilled cheese sandwich from ABC Commissary. It took quite a while to get my order - way longer than I expected which was annoying as my timing was getting tight.

9D499B06-E836-40AA-9310-5915D4781B76.jpeg

It’s a really good buffalo chicken grilled cheese. Different from what you’d expect with a creamier gooier filling instead of stretchy cheese. More like a cheese sauce? Unique and always a highlight. But my grilled cheese-crazed DD doesn’t like it too much as it is so different. I really like their potato-y fries here but opted for apple slices. Which happened to be rather awful mushy apples (it’s normally better).

Afterwards, I swung into the Starbucks to grab the famous carrot cake cookie to enjoy while waiting for Fantasmic!

117AAD64-C578-4915-8431-F70A1F385175.jpeg

I’ve had it several times over the last 15 years (oldies will remember back in the day when it was sold at the Writer’s Stop).

It’s about the same. Pretty good with lots of sweet icing in the middle. I’m very picky about my carrot cakes though and hunt for the best ones whenever I travel. They need to be made with real carrots and most versions just leave me disappointed so I rarely order it unless it looks particularly scrumptious.

This one is your conventional mass market carrot cake sandwiched around a very basic icing. It’s huge, it’s sweet, and enjoyable with your expectations in check. For $5.85 after tax it is easily shareable and well worth it. Perfect for a treat at Fantasmic!, Indiana Jones or Beauty and the Beast.

The next day I again ate in the condo and got a treat while waiting for the Epcot fireworks, Luminous.

9F433077-890C-4E55-B519-3831B752FA81.jpeg

Verden’s Best Kake from Kingla Bakery Og Kafe. A disappointment. A very boring, ordinary tasting vanilla cake with custard and almond-meringue topping. Substitute any boring grocery store cake and u got this. Actually no - I LIKE grocery store cakes lol. Maybe it was stale as it was so late at night.

Here’s the inside:

A1D319ED-1850-4FCB-AC9D-5F35E7D35F0F.jpeg

I’ve had the Eplekake before and it was much much better. I didn’t get schoolbread as I haven’t been a fan of it. I think I just don’t like the bread (although I like basically all bread).

I had found a spot at the railing next to a garbage can. Turns out this was a very popular garbage can because despite my sitting next to it, eating a cake, every 5-10 mins, someone beelined to toss garbage in basically next to my face. The kicker was when a CM came by to empty the garbage, wasn’t careful (it was super full), and garbage fell on the ground right next to me. Poor thing was so apologetic.

I have sat next to sooooo many garbage cans in Disney. And after all, you’re not a true Disney fan until u have experienced eating off the top of a garbage can. I’ve never had this experience before.

Oh well. I was happy to be off my feet. And Luminous was fantastic! A true pyromusical. I am a fireworks fan and like to choreograph our own small home displays to music (in a super amateurish way) so I really appreciated the artistry and the skill it took to pull this off. Wayyyyy more fireworks than any other Disney night show. It was cool to see them use fireworks, laser lights, fountains, and music to tell a story instead of so many projections. Don’t get me wrong - I love projections. But it was so cool to have something different.

Even better, they finally designed a display that suits World Showcase. After all these years, this is a show with no “front row” that can actually be viewed from all around the lagoon. Even Illuminations you missed a lot when you couldn’t see that globe.

I had made a few suggestions to the ladies about places to eat out at Disney. They had been really frugal so far - and so by this point I thought they would pass. But they eagerly said yes to my suggestion of brunch at Ale &Compass.

So they came along and they agreed to take the Yacht Club bus to Blizzard Beach waterpark while I went into Epcot for a couple of hours and then picked them up afterwards.

Ale &Compass brunch is an awesome deal. And the best part is being able to park at the Yacht Club - super close walk to the International Gateway and access to Epcot. I far prefer parking back here vs in front and having to walk all the way to the back of World Showcase (where I spend a chunk of my time).

Back to the food - entrees range from $14-$20. For $23, you can upgrade your entree to a:

Breakfast Buffet​

Seasonal Fruit, Assorted Yogurt Parfaits, Assorted Breakfast Pastries, House-made Granola, Cheddar Biscuits and Country Gravy, and Warm Cinnamon Rolls. Includes choice of one (1) Entrée. Coffee, Tea, Juice, or Soft Drinks are included.

I am in love with the $20 Shrimp and White Cheddar Grits so it’s a no-brainer for me.

I started off with my usual biscuits drowned in sausage gravy. Not the best biscuits ever, but a very decent rendition that I always enjoy (partly because we don’t get biscuits and gravy often where I’m from so I gorge when I am down south). The overnight oats are surprisingly good. I find the other pastries, etc bland and boring so other than some fruit, I ignore the rest of the buffet.

4B9C9263-F0C3-4C5B-942D-9761BB29E751.jpeg

Then it’s time for my beloved shrimp and grits. I manage about a quarter before I am stuffed (there have been many occasions I have boxed up the full portion after a nibble) and I take the rest back for dinner.

I don’t really like grits but this version must be full of white cheddar. And I love the balance of flavour with the chorizo and charred tomato stew. Very unique combo of savory flavours that pair well together with some kick to it.

5BEB0B62-EBCC-4D03-918A-D0813EEBB3A5.jpeg

Mom and D both had the crab cake benedict. I tasted a bit and thought it was just okay. Like many dishes, it was a bit too salty for me. And somehow the flavour wasn’t as balanced as I would have liked. I probably would have liked more sauce lol. I am a sauce girl and everything tastes better with loads of sauce.

ADE1A92A-23AC-4C09-B120-F0F8126E2A56.jpeg

They were both happy to go and felt with the buffet that it was a good value.

5151DEA5-066B-4261-A73B-272712362146.jpeg

The next night, they decided to join me for Sebastian’s Bistro. It was DH’s fave meal in Disney. He loved all the flavours and always relished his meal. I’ve brought Mom before and she was thrilled to go again. I was surprised D agreed as she had been pretty frugal.

We sat for a bit in the Banana Cabana bar - I think those swing seats are adorable. We were seated at 4:30pm.

048249F2-3B6F-4D58-A506-E3B3F9AD30A8.jpeg

We got started with the buttery pull apart rolls. They were lovely and soft and buttery and I happily wasted stomach space on these. I remember the uproar when they started restricting the number of rolls people could have. Not sure if that is still a thing - since D didn’t want to fill up on bread, we had enough and didn’t need more.

My mother was obsessed with the Mickey shaped parmesan crackers and we did have to order more of these. They are crunchy with a strong, sharp parmesan taste. Great for snacking. And super cute.

The salad was light, refreshing, and unique enough that we happily finished everything. We did ask for more but they didn’t bring it. I didn’t pursue it as I was full but D told me at the end of the meal that she had hoped for the refill.

DFACFA7B-A414-460B-9E00-459513EC53F1.jpeg

Took a while to explain the concept to D who got a little confused about the options for platters. Eventually we agreed on ordering 2 meat platters and one plant-based platter. None of us are vegan but I really liked the plant-based platter too so wanted to make sure we had it.

Taste of the Caribbean (Entrée)​

Oven-roasted Citrus Chicken, Slow-cooked Mojo Pork with Mango Sambal, Grilled Chili-rubbed Beef* with Mojito Relish, and Sustainable Baked Fish with Veracruz Sauce

Harvest of the Caribbean​

A selection of our favorite dishes inspired by the flavors of the Caribbean. Impossible™ Kabab, Fried Jerk Tofu, Plant-based Sausage, and Caribbean "Fish" Cake

Sides
served with Cilantro Rice and Red Beans, Vegetable Stew, and Grilled Seasonal Vegetables

1264C239-0A3B-41D9-AFB4-45F6F34C6C37.jpeg

The food is SO good!!! It is slightly exotic with a variety of fresh flavours but also has plenty of plain options as the sauces are served on the side.

My more plain eating DD happily gorges herself on butter rolls and grilled chilli-rubbed beef (not spicy at all and while deliciously marinated, is relatively plain).

The veggies are so good that instead of ignoring them, we all ate a lot of veggies. I REALLY like the fried tofu and prefer to eat it plain with no sauce as the jerk seasoning is delicious. It’s actually my very favourite part of my meal at Sebastian’s! Shocking as I love my meat. I should note here that I eat tofu frequently so I am used to the more bland flavour. It’s not often my food of choice, but I do appreciate it when it is done well and also don’t mind eating it when cooking it rather plain at home. D has not had tofu much so after a taste, left it alone. Mom has had good tofu frequently so only ate some and concentrated on flavours that were more interesting to her.

The plant based sausage was really good. Better than many meat sausages actually.D also loved the impossible kebab (although I wasn’t as much of a fan). The plant based fish cakes were OK (we did finish it lol).

As for the meats, the beef was a lovely, tender medium towards rare. We loved all the various sauces. The fish was overcooked so Mom asked for another portion, which came out much better - she ate it with the vegetable curry. The pork and chicken were ok (one time I came and the chicken was so incredibly tender and juicy, I ended up eating it over the beef).

Mom and I are obsessed with the cilantro rice and ate two servings of it. It’s got a different, yet mild and addictive taste. Even my DD likes it (and she’s not one for green-looking food). I don’t think it would appeal to all palates though.

The ladies were thrilled with the plant based platter and raved about it - it was better than the meat platter in their opinions. I’m in the middle as I like elements of both. But if I ate there solo, I’d order the plant-based platter as I really like the tofu (funny as I am not one to choose plants over meat, even though I have eaten a lot of vegan over the last few years).

We wrapped up with the ultra delicious bread pudding. It gives ‘Ohana a run for it’s money and is very similar. D wanted to try the plant-based so we had one of each.

500255E5-CB0C-4B6C-8BB9-FA57EBEDC631.jpeg

Turns out texture is different for plant-based (left plate). You can see it is fluffier and less dense. The regular one is heavier and flatter. They’re both delish. D preferred the lighter breadier texture of the plant-based while I liked the more thoroughly soaked texture of the regular version. Of course, you can’t forget to drown it in caramel. I always forget to ask for more ice cream though. It’s never enough for me lol.

At $38pp, it’s no longer a Disney steal. But okay-priced. Liberty Tree Tavern at $42pp no longer sounds that expensive. Still, the ladies raved about it and talked about this meal for the rest of the trip.

E0A32A1E-B9E9-4FB3-BC6C-3C5D6C11549F.jpeg

A great benefit is that I could drive down to park at Aruba where it is a quick hop onto the Riviera Skyliner to get to International Gateway, sparing my overly exhausted, painful feet as I was off to see the lead singer to Chicago in the Garden Rocks concert at the theatre in the American Pavilion.

The ladies hung out for a bit at CBR before busing over to MK for a monorail tour before busing back to meet me at the Riviera when I was done.

Breakfast at Ale and Compass is an underrated hidden gem! I also really like their burger (also available in the lounge). I haven't tried Sebastian's yet but it sounds and looks delicious. I believe the roll limits are still in effect and quite controversial :laughing:. I'm tempted to go just to try these infamous rolls!! I'm not sure if they can compete with the onion rolls at Yachtsman or the Parker House rolls at Ale & Compass but I'd like to find out!! I also adore cilantro so this sounds right up my alley.

Breakfast at Ale and Compass is an underrated hidden gem! I also really like their burger (also available in the lounge). I haven't tried Sebastian's yet but it sounds and looks delicious. I believe the roll limits are still in effect and quite controversial :laughing:. I'm tempted to go just to try these infamous rolls!! I'm not sure if they can compete with the onion rolls at Yachtsman or the Parker House rolls at Ale & Compass but I'd like to find out!! I also adore cilantro so this sounds right up my alley.

I keep hearing about that burger! I might have to hit the Ale & Compass lounge one day. Parking is always the issue though. But I could have the breakfast buffet and then on my way out of Epcot, stop in the lounge for dinner. Unlike most people, I really don’t like Epcot’s food options that much other than a few key items. I often find the resorts much better from a price/quality/fun ratio.

Can’t believe they are being such sticklers about bread!! Last time ate there in Dec 2022 and Jan/Feb 2023, they were much more careful in explaining it wasn’t true AYCE but that they would get us more of some items. This time, our server didn’t mention a word. Then again, we asked for refills of primarily plant based items. And didn’t really eat a massive amount.

I haven’t had either the onion rolls (only eat signatures occasionally) or the Parker House rolls, but the rolls here are very good indeed. Plus they are a little unique for a bread service which is always fun.

I remember eating here when Sebastian’s first opened (and u ordered off the menu) and loving the rolls.

Sebastian's Bistro looks so wonderful!! Right now we have a reservation for 'Ohana booked for our April trip, but I just don't know if I can handle paying around 250.00 CAD for our family! It has always been a tradition for us, but then I think about paying that amount for one dinner outside of WDW and nearly fall over. :faint: Sebastian's looks like a really good alternative.

You have me wanting to give a dining report a go! I'm not great at consistency with food photos, but I just love reading along with others so much!

Sebastian's Bistro looks so wonderful!! Right now we have a reservation for 'Ohana booked for our April trip, but I just don't know if I can handle paying around 250.00 CAD for our family! It has always been a tradition for us, but then I think about paying that amount for one dinner outside of WDW and nearly fall over. :faint: Sebastian's looks like a really good alternative.

You have me wanting to give a dining report a go! I'm not great at consistency with food photos, but I just love reading along with others so much!

‘Ohana was our family’s absolute favourite for a very very long time. And even when we didn’t have DDP, we still splurged on it. Then the prices started climbing. When it hit $50, we still loved it enough to keep going every year.

At $60, I finally hit my limit. It’s so inconsistent too. Going every year for 10+ years, we got used to having to send various courses back to get a better quality version (Often the wings or the beef would be overcooked).

The straw that finally broke was in Oct 2022 when we brought DS’ best friend with us. We had to ask them to try again with the beef THREE times. At the second time, our server had the nerve to argue with me that this was how their food was cooked. I had just been there a few months before so I knew better and told him so. By the 3rd round, we had tender beef, cooked the way we wanted it and it was delicious. We also had problems with other courses that same meal.

I think it was all the problems I had with the server that day that really opened my eyes to ‘Ohana. At $60 each ($62 now), it is outrageous to have to request re-dos at just about every single meal. And deal with the very long check-in waits. And $62 is a whole lot to pay when our very favourite parts of the meals were the noodles, potstickers, wings and bread pudding.

Another nit-picky thing is that for several years now, I’ve had to be careful to request a table away from the speaker. The speakers are set directly over some tables. And I don’t think they are great quality as the ukelele playing can sound gratingly awful as it blares in our ears for 20 min sessions throughout the meal. While I’m not crazy about the current guy who plays (I liked the lady who used to play many years ago better), it’s reasonably pleasant to listen to him live or at lower volumes.

Nowadays, I go to the lounge and get all my favourites for about $30 each person. The noodles, potstickers and wings are not on the official menu but they will serve it if you ask.

Unfortunately with the lounge, it’s not easy to be allowed to park at the Poly. And I hate the process of getting a table. One time a few ladies blatantly cut in front of a bunch of us clearly waiting in line to grab a table and we all stared at each other in shock. That said, I’ve never waited any longer for a table in the lounge than I’ve waited to be seated inside the restaurant. Before it used to be a free for all where you had to hover. Last time I was there in Oct 2023, they had a sign to line up behind.

All this to say - I don’t choose to go to Ohana anymore (although I would go if I had a guest who really wanted to try it). That said - $51 for Yak and Yeti vs $62 for Ohana….Ohana would win any day for me. Still, I’d choose Liberty Tree Tavern at $42 or Sebastian’s Bistro at $38 before either of them.

I used to write full trip reports but that got to overwhelming for me. Dining reports are much more manageable lol. And we are used to letting the camera eat first everywhere we travel.

I didn’t realize it but Sebastian’s Bistro was the last meal of my Disney trip. My final photos in Epcot :)

B0407AFB-A7CD-47AE-88EC-32A827E0C120.jpeg

B4D59DD0-11E9-4974-BB51-0500963F48AC.jpeg

2 weeks at Disney solo was not enough. I spent a lot of time meandering around and then scrambled the last few days to cram in some favourite rides. I missed out on a whole lot of rides this trip. And ran out of time to explore the Flower and Garden festival, meet Mando and Grogu, and a bunch of other stuff I had expected to do, and only ate a small chunk of my food list lol.

It didn’t help that my fave Disney shoes (I have two identical Mickey Asics in different colors) wore out during the trip. They have served me well for the past several trips but gave up this time. My socks were also worn so thin, two pairs developed holes and had to be tossed. So my feet were in horrible pain and my body was aching badly by the second week. I was averaging 15k steps on a slow day and 20-30k steps on normal days. Best I could do when severely limiting walking was over 10k steps.

So I gave in and made an emergency trip to the outlet mall with just a few days left to the trip.

The Adidas outlet was having their 50% off everything sale (they do this a few times a year) and we were thrilled to waltz out with new shoes for Mom and I!

FFFFC449-FE7F-4CA2-A4CF-5869A6F19DF4.jpeg

$35 for my navy blue pair and $50 for Mom’s grey trail shoes. And $11 for six pairs of high quality cushy socks! And ooo boy, did the socks make a difference. My old Adidas socks were so completely worn out lol. I was bouncing all over the parks again :)

We left the next morning for 2 nights in Nashville on the way home. I’m a country music fan and adore Nashville, going crazy for the live music everywhere.

On a whim, I FINALLY stopped at a Florida Citrus Centre. Mom and I were both intrigued by the billboards for quite a while. When we first started driving to Florida, I insisted on stopping at an official Florida Welcome Centre when we entered the state. I have read so many Dis trip reports about people excited about stopping every trip. We got the free orange juice and checked out the walls of brochures. But that was it. DH was not impressed lol so we have never stopped again.

F2FE15DB-CA46-443A-BE78-4E173CFC76EC.jpeg

Florida Citrus Centre was a tacky souvenir shop that turned out to be rather fun!

We had free orange juice and bought boiled peanuts:

D1262605-B341-4E35-B5F3-E7327C27156A.jpeg

Sampled a whole bunch of oranges:
697327B4-C488-409B-9358-D2C128CE90C7.jpeg

The red navel was delicious and both Mom and D bought an 8lb bag each. D also bought a gift for her granddaughter. So overall, a successful stop.

After this, it was goodbye to Florida.

Not sure when I will be back. My annual pass expires and of March and I’ve decided not to renew. I am still drowning in endless estate paperwork that will take many more months. And there’s a lot of other places I want to visit this year. Realistically, I wouldn’t be going back until September or even December or January.

Plus, I am coming to terms that I just don’t have the same trip planning capacity right now. I couldn’t even commit to this much-wanted Disney trip until maybe 2 weeks before. And then it only became doable to me when I scaled it back from a month+ to 2 weeks. So while I had a whole lot of stuff I wanted to do this year, I’m going to scale all that back until next year and see where I’m at.

I still travel quite a bit even when I avoid it lol. I’m not entirely up to it but I may end up getting persuaded to take SIL and BIL on a trip to Canada’s East Coast. BIL’s health is failing and I’m the only person who can take them on a trip like that (with his health, they can no longer do this trip themselves).

On the other hand, another priority is to fly back to Asia to visit my own ailing father again. I went for 2 months last fall and while it was good in so many ways, I have been dreading going back.

I think it’s got a lot to do with the grieving process because normally I zip off on trips at the drop of a hat. And never turn down opportunities to travel.

Thank you for sharing this joyful and bittersweet trip. May there be wings fluttering about you wherever you head next!

I should add for the record that the total I spent on food on Disney property (where I ate 95% of my meals) was $450 or $32/day. I used Disney gift cards that I purchase at an average of 15% (sometimes 20%) discount (including cashback on my credit cards). So let’s say it’s about $382 out of pocket for one person for 2 weeks (average of $27/day), spending with very little restraint (from my frugal soul’s perspective anyway haha).

Later, I got hungry (all these nibbles did not fill me up) but didn’t want to soend much. So I wondered about the Yak and Yeti Local Food Cafe. How bad could it be?

View attachment 841783

For $15.97, this was an insult to cheap Chinese food everywhere. Do you know how little chicken was in there?! The taste was about what you’d expect - overcooked and chewy in a basic honey sauce. But I thought I would get at least double the meat.
So, this would have been a 'no' from me: I wouldn't have left the counter. I would either ask for more food or a refund.

Something similar happened to me several years ago in POFQ food court. I got to the cashier with a meager portion of food. The cashier said, 'that's not right, go back and tell them to put more food in there', which I did.

Some food CM's are just going through the motions and I'm guessing that once in awhile, they underserve. For $16 that is ridiculous.

So, this would have been a 'no' from me: I wouldn't have left the counter. I would either ask for more food or a refund.

Something similar happened to me several years ago in POFQ food court. I got to the cashier with a meager portion of food. The cashier said, 'that's not right, go back and tell them to put more food in there', which I did.

Some food CM's are just going through the motions and I'm guessing that once in awhile, they underserve. For $16 that is ridiculous.
Hmmm…you’re right. I should have questioned it. I just assumed this was their normal portion size. But that just can’t be right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter