• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feb or April 2019?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
Currently at Disney (2/28-3/6). We always have break the last week of February through the first Tuesday of March. In the last 10 years of travel I have definitely noticed how what was once a walk on rides experience this time of year has changed to much heavier crowds. Also it is always a gamble flying out of VT this time of year. We are considering April vacation 2019 instead. Our break is usually last full week of April. Would it be even more crowded then? Thank you.

Currently at Disney (2/28-3/6). We always have break the last week of February through the first Tuesday of March. In the last 10 years of travel I have definitely noticed how what was once a walk on rides experience this time of year has changed to much heavier crowds. Also it is always a gamble flying out of VT this time of year. We are considering April vacation 2019 instead. Our break is usually last full week of April. Would it be even more crowded then? Thank you.

Watch out for Easter - it’s 4/21 in 2019.

That’s probably the biggest wildcard for April, generally speaking.

Also, to add to your scheduling dilemma, Mardi Gras is 3/5 in 2019.

Watch out for Easter - it’s 4/21 in 2019.

That’s probably the biggest wildcard for April, generally speaking.

Also, to add to your scheduling dilemma, Mardi Gras is 3/5 in 2019.
Yikes. Good to know. Thanks. We were here last year during mardi grad and it was nuts!

If you go in April weather will likely be better than February if that matters to you.

If you go around Easter the parks will be very crowded but you get the benefit of longer park hours.

With Easter so late next year...I do not think it will be as bad as when Easter is early, like this year. But do expect holiday crowds. Not as bad as Christmas to New Years.

I vote April! we always do April and love it, easter or no easter when it falls late into the month the crowds have been no issue for us, weather wonderful and no scare with snow to deal with leaving MA. Spring breaks are so spread out now that its never been a problem! We are doing this year april 13-20 and next year will be april again!

We spent Easter weekend at WDW last year (Thursday through Monday), and it was not bad at all. The mid-April weather was divine. Hours were long. The parks had plenty of people but never felt uncomfortable and we had no problem doing rides. Used FP, rope drop & EMH for top-tier attractions, and waited in reasonable lines at other times for mid-tier attractions. One of our best trips, actually, in part because of the ideal weather. I do think the fact that it was a late Easter helped, and I'm considering going back in Easter 2019 for that reason.

We just returned from Disney on Thursday. We returned a day early due to the Nor’Easter, which was actually quite damaging in our county in PA. We lost power for about 2 hours on Friday, but many are still out, potentially until Wednesday. Luckily, we could change flights on SWA without penalty. But I’m pretty much done with winter trips.

We spent Easter weekend at WDW last year (Thursday through Monday), and it was not bad at all. The mid-April weather was divine. Hours were long. The parks had plenty of people but never felt uncomfortable and we had no problem doing rides. Used FP, rope drop & EMH for top-tier attractions, and waited in reasonable lines at other times for mid-tier attractions. One of our best trips, actually, in part because of the ideal weather. I do think the fact that it was a late Easter helped, and I'm considering going back in Easter 2019 for that reason.
We just returned last night with a very similar experience 2/25/18 - 3/3/18. When we arrive Sunday morning it was very busy as the weekend was the Princess Marathon. Come Tuesday the crowds were lower through the mid week. We also used FP, rope drop & EMH for top-tier attractions, and waited in reasonable lines at other times for mid-tier attractions. The weather was very comfortable. One day was in the high 80s, others the high 70s. No rain at all. We are not water park or pool people (very sensitive skin and too much risk or burning at the pools). I personally loved the weather. Every day was like a Spring day. We have done many summer trips, so this was a lovely change.

I'm going the last full week of April this year, so watch for my trip report! :)

I will say that I originally wanted to go the week before Easter this year (March 24-April 1) since we wouldn't have to pull DD out of school as that was her spring break. The problem was the airfare was $tupid Expen$ive, I'm talking $800 per person round-trip from Chicago. And I was looking for flights in October! We booked for $300 per person the last week of April and DD will just have to miss a week (she's in Kindy and doing well this year, I'm not losing any sleep over it). So the crowds around Easter might be doable but the cost of flights might be the Achilles Heel of that plan. I think the fares did come down some for spring break week after we booked but it was still quite a bit higher than the average Chicago-Orlando pricing. Still I was happy to put the savings into more fun things like reservations at CRT and purchasing Memory Maker.

I live in MA and have been debating a similar question for 2019, but Easter falls at a terrible time - the weekend when MA and NH vacation weeks overlap! Add in all of the other Easter Travelers and Easter Prices that surround those weeks every year, and we decided that if we go away in April 2019 - it will be on a cruise instead of Disney! I do love F&G though so it’s a bummer to skip out on april!

We are still deciding about February. We have Disney APs and will be there in April 18, October 18, and not sure we will want to be back as soon as Feb 18...

I live in MA and have been debating a similar question for 2019, but Easter falls at a terrible time - the weekend when MA and NH vacation weeks overlap! Add in all of the other Easter Travelers and Easter Prices that surround those weeks every year, and we decided that if we go away in April 2019 - it will be on a cruise instead of Disney! I do love F&G though so it’s a bummer to skip out on april!

We are still deciding about February. We have Disney APs and will be there in April 18, October 18, and not sure we will want to be back as soon as Feb 18...
we live in MA too, and always go in April, awesome weather and crowds have never been insane. People get scared off, and it makes the parks super!

I'm going the last full week of April this year, so watch for my trip report! :)

I will say that I originally wanted to go the week before Easter this year (March 24-April 1) since we wouldn't have to pull DD out of school as that was her spring break. The problem was the airfare was $tupid Expen$ive, I'm talking $800 per person round-trip from Chicago. And I was looking for flights in October! We booked for $300 per person the last week of April and DD will just have to miss a week (she's in Kindy and doing well this year, I'm not losing any sleep over it). So the crowds around Easter might be doable but the cost of flights might be the Achilles Heel of that plan. I think the fares did come down some for spring break week after we booked but it was still quite a bit higher than the average Chicago-Orlando pricing. Still I was happy to put the savings into more fun things like reservations at CRT and purchasing Memory Maker.

We’ve been going in May in large part because Midway to MCO fares are half the cost of March. Other expenses don’t vary nearly that much.

we live in MA too, and always go in April, awesome weather and crowds have never been insane. People get scared off, and it makes the parks super!

Massachusetts too. We usually go April vacation as well. It is definitely more crowded the years April vacation falls with Easter. However, the weather is awesome and like @momtwoboys said there's no risk of delayed/cancelled flights due to snow. @bettymae1121 I hear you. My biggest issue on April vacation is the cost of airfare and it is always more expensive when it coincides with Easter...and it is already more expensive school vacation weeks anyway. DH is a teacher so we have no choice and he can not take a day before or after a school vacation week. So we are stuck flying the high cost times. I usually buy very very early.
If I was choosing Feb or April, I'd always choose April.

Massachusetts too. We usually go April vacation as well. It is definitely more crowded the years April vacation falls with Easter. However, the weather is awesome and like @momtwoboys said there's no risk of delayed/cancelled flights due to snow. @bettymae1121 I hear you. My biggest issue on April vacation is the cost of airfare and it is always more expensive when it coincides with Easter...and it is already more expensive school vacation weeks anyway. DH is a teacher so we have no choice and he can not take a day before or after a school vacation week. So we are stuck flying the high cost times. I usually buy very very early.
If I was choosing Feb or April, I'd always choose April.
I am a teacher so this is my dilemma too. We have Feb break into first Tuesday of March for Town Meeting in Vermont which used to be a quiet time but now with Flower and Garden it is busier. Plus more crowds in general. I bet flight costs will be high for April break with Easter. You are right.

I am a teacher so this is my dilemma too. We have Feb break into first Tuesday of March for Town Meeting in Vermont which used to be a quiet time but now with Flower and Garden it is busier. Plus more crowds in general. I bet flight costs will be high for April break with Easter. You are right.
just book those flights on the day of release! after that they skyrocket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter