February 2015 - Our Son's First Visit

Yeah, I think that's what we'll do with the in-laws. I am certainly not going to wait around forever if they don't show up. If my husband wants to wait he's welcome to but Henry and I will be off to do something else...haha.

So my husband talked to his mom for a minute tonight. She was busy so they couldn't really talk. But she made a comment about how she didn't know how much we'd get to see her because they currently only have 1 car and her husband (my husband's stepdad) will be working.

I know it sounds awful, but that may be our saving grace in some ways.

So my husband talked to his mom for a minute tonight. She was busy so they couldn't really talk. But she made a comment about how she didn't know how much we'd get to see her because they currently only have 1 car and her husband (my husband's stepdad) will be working.

I know it sounds awful, but that may be our saving grace in some ways.
Your MIL will be the one who misses out. If she really wanted to she would find a way to get there... it's too bad but you will have a lovely time regardless. it sounds like they are high maintenance and I know how stressful it can be when your child needs to be on a schedule and nobody else understands that.

her absence may be a blessing in disguise. ;-)

At the very least, I think her husband is going to try to take a day off so they can hang out with us in the park. My husband just needs to tell her which day and I hope it's one that works for them!

Then we're thinking on Monday during Henry's nap, my husband may go pick her up and then after nap, we'll all head to the park for the evening.

Of course, this is all with us banking on the fact that they still have APs. My husband hasn't asked lately so we aren't sure if they've expired. He is not a planner. I am. So all of this is just "whatever" to him but it's stressing me out.

WOW! That would be awesome! We won't be there on a Thursday, but we will be there on a Mon and Tues morning!

What are your dates?

My husband talked to his mom and it sounds like they are going to try to meet us at the parks on Thursday and Monday evening of our trip. And then lunch with his mom and Grandpa on Friday. And he told her if they don't show up...or they are late...they won't be seeing Henry.

Feb 7-10, half days on the 7th and 10th, full days on 8th and 9th.

Nice. We'll be there the 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th.

So...I think we're going to get ahold of our pediatrician about this measles thing. I tried contacting her via Facebook (we're old friends) but haven't heard back. So we're going to call and see if Henry's 1 dose of MMR is okay or if we should bring him in to check his immunity.

We are also going to call both of our doctor's to possibly go in and check our immunity as well. Better safe than sorry, we figure.

If results come back and we find out one of us is NOT immune, we will get boosters and reschedule for April. It would suck but health is more important.

I read that 9 out of 10 kids gain immunity from the first shot and the second is done to catch the other 10 (well 9 out of 10 again). I got my son an appointment for his second one. But I know he spiked a high enough for me to call the doc fever 10 days after his first MMR. For me, that means it was prob 103. She says that was a common side effect about 10 days later and lasted a couple days. My kids aren't pukers thank goodness and knock on wood. But... The appt is Tuesday. 10 days from that is the day before we leave. I am now feeling like I have a much higher chance of him spiking a high fever from the shot than catching measles after having one MMR. And my daughter can't get her second one yet anyway. But... Its the measles! Is it1954? Why am I worried about measles? Because people suck. Anyway, not sure what I'm gonna do... We are going for sure... But can't decide what to do about my son!

I read that 9 out of 10 kids gain immunity from the first shot and the second is done to catch the other 10 (well 9 out of 10 again). I got my son an appointment for his second one. But I know he spiked a high enough for me to call the doc fever 10 days after his first MMR. For me, that means it was prob 103. She says that was a common side effect about 10 days later and lasted a couple days. My kids aren't pukers thank goodness and knock on wood. But... The appt is Tuesday. 10 days from that is the day before we leave. I am now feeling like I have a much higher chance of him spiking a high fever from the shot than catching measles after having one MMR. And my daughter can't get her second one yet anyway. But... Its the measles! Is it1954? Why am I worried about measles? Because people suck. Anyway, not sure what I'm gonna do... We are going for sure... But can't decide what to do about my son!

Could they check to see if he's immune? Maybe he wouldn't even need the 2nd one yet. How old are your kids? I don't think I'd want to risk the fever either because if he had it the first time, it's pretty likely he would again. And high fevers can be quite dangerous. I wouldn't want that happen on vacation or right before at all.

My husband is calling his doctor to see about getting checked and I am calling mine. Plus we're going to call and see what they say about Henry. Since he's only 16 months, I don't think they can give him the 2nd dose yet. So I'm not sure what they will say to do.

When I was pregnant I know I was checked for immunity to rubella (german measles) because it's super dangerous. But I'm not sure if they also checked for regular measles. It would be great it they did. I hope they can give me some info when I call.

It's so frustrating because if people were smart and vaccinated, an outbreak wouldn't have happened. This is a disease we had gotten rid of, essentially. But it's back because people believe morons like Jenny McCarthy.

Our pediatrician's office said Henry should be fine. 95% of people who get one dose are immune so his chance is pretty low. And since measles is already in our town anyway...we can't fully avoid it.

As far as us...we have appointments to get our immunity checked on Monday.

However, I just saw a copy of my vaccination records from my Mom. I had my first MMR dose in 1982 (when I was 1.) And my 2nd dose in 1996. So...maybe I don't even need to bother getting checked now?

I talked to my doctor's office and they told me since I have on record that I've had two doses of MMR, I really don't need to be checked at all.

My husband has decided he's not going to bother either. He decided to take the risk knowing there's a chance he's just had the one dose.

So...here's hoping for the best! It looks like measles is going to be everywhere by the end of the year, I'm sure. There are cases popping up here and in other cities/states too. It's pretty ridiculous.

Though I am hoping this makes the crowds nice and small. :)

I think I've finished my packing list. It's insanely long. Not sure how I'll fit it all in my suitcase. This traveling with a toddler business is nuts.

A long, long time ago, we bought a cheap stroller with the sole purpose of bringing it to Disneyland. But then we did end up using it a fair amount around our neighborhood when Henry was little. But we haven't used it since last Spring. It only has a 3-point belt instead of a 5-point. I am worried this will make Henry able to reach everything on shelves and whatnot. So...we're trying it out at Kohl's later today. Fingers crossed! I really don't want to bring a more expensive stroller.

This is the one we're hoping to bring -- http://www.toysrus.com/buy/strollers/babies-r-us-trendsport-stroller-slate-1933087-17077766

Luggage.

So...here's what we've been planning on having....

2 checked suitcases
1 small wheeled carry-on
2 backpacks for carry-on
stroller to gate check (We tried it out at Kohl's and it worked just fine. Woo!)
car seat

I am worried we may need to check 2 suitcases. Tonight I put all of Henry's t-shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, sock, some pants (not all since he needs to wear them over the next week), and some of his other odds and ends. And dang...it looks like it may need it's own bag. We were hoping to split it between my suitcase and my husband's but I don't know if I see that happening.

I have never been a light packer. But I've gotten a bit better over the years (packing less shoes and sweatshirts helped.) I am downsizing a bit more this time by buying things like shampoo, conditioner, and body wash when we get there. But I will still have some toiletries. And my hair dryer. And then the usual clothes.

Ugh. I was really hoping we wouldn't need that third back to check. It's free with Southwest. But still....booo.

I hadn't looked to see if we had shorts to match every shirt of Henry's so today I set everything out to match them up.

Here's what we've got....

shirts.jpg

It's obviously more than enough outfits for our trip. But he often goes through 2 shirts/bottoms a day because he's so messy. We have 7 full days plus 2 travel days. I don't suspect he'll wear all of these things but I'm going to bring them all anyway (except maybe a shirt or two.)

We also have a couple long-sleeved shirts and sweatpants for our travel days.

And then we have about 7 or 8 pairs of pants in case the mornings or evenings are chilly. He also has 4 or 5 hooded sweatshirts we're bringing. He will wear 1 pair of shoes and we'll bring 2 more. He'll have a bunch of socks as well.

For myself, I'm bringing very little. I'm wearing 1 pair of jeans and bringing a 2nd pair. And I'm just bringing 3 pairs of shorts. I am just going to wear them multiple days. I'm sure some would find that gross. But I just don't have a lot of clothes that fit me these days. Then I'll bring 1 shirt for each day and then a couple extras, just in case. If my shorts get gross, I'll just have to do laundry.

I won't do any real packing until next weekend. And then on Monday the 2nd (we leave the 3rd) my mom is planning to come over for a bit to hang out with Henry so I can do the rest of my packing and cleaning...since it's pretty much impossible to do anything while watching a toddler and my husband will be working.

I almost always wear bottoms twice before washing, so not gross to me! That Tow-mater shirt is adorable! My daughter is overloaded with Disney stuff, so her pile of possibles is huge. I bought my son a couple of shirts from the Disney store but they are too big. He is sort of in between their sizing right now. The 4 is a little small but the 5/6 is huge. So- he will be more in Marvel gear I think. He does have one Cars shirt that fits. I also got my kids matching shirts. I think they will wear them on Tuesday 2/10 if you see us!

My son is saying he wants to wear his Peter Pan costume on Sunday 2/8 and my daughter will likely be in some princess dress that day as well. I bought her the $90 (ok, on sale $68) Rapunzel deluxe dress and the arms have no elastic so she always asks to put it on and then wants it off immediately. I would like her to wear that one, but more likely it will be Elsa or Cinderella, or maybe Anna. She also has Tink and Ariel but unless it is super hot, those will not be options given! I am only bringing two so she will have to deal with what I bring or wear normal clothes. Elsa and Anna are these cheap $20 knock offs from China, but I swear they are beautiful! It was a good find! I am bringing back up outfits in the stroller for any costume day, but I am hoping my son wears his Pan costume and then I hope we can find Captain Hook!

That would be adorable if he wear it and you find Hook. What a great photo that would make!

Most of his Disney shirts I found on clearance at Kohl's. The Mater outfit he got from my parents for his birthday. And then the winking Mickey one we found at Target. No clue what he'll wear each day though. Probably a lot of non-Disney stuff actually...haha.

All of his shirts and shorts are 24 month size. They are slightly big but the 18 month stuff we own is too small because it was all washed and worn a bunch this past Summer. Except for pants. He's still in 18 month pants because his legs are pretty short. I purchased most of the 24 month stuff last year in preparation for this trip. I figured a little bit is better than too tight so it is what it is.

His hair is all long and crazy because I decided not to get it cut. So with his wild hair and slightly large clothes...he's going to look like quite a raggamuffin...ha!

Awww a cute one though! My kids got hair cuts today, so we are set there! My daughters hair is curly, so we always just get her a trim to even it out. One day maybe it will be long enough for a real cut!

We were planning to get it cut before vacation but I changed my mind. Partly because I'm worried they'd make it look awful and partly because I don't really want him to look older on our trip. As it is, people think he's older than 16 months all the time because he's big. He's still fairly wobbly when he walks and he doesn't talk at all (we're calling Early Intervention about that when we get back.) So I'd prefer he look his age and not older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter