• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feedback about todays show :)

Hey
As someone from Australia, I find it quite disheartening to listen to the criticism and complaining about everything?
I used to watch and listen religiously, even met Ryno and Pete in Disneyland years ago. I have done all the parks but France and a Disney cruise. I read Disney history and a lot of back stage, behind the scenes info, etc. I’m not just a casual Disney fan.

We have just had our borders opened in Australia after being unable to travel for 2 years. We are just so excited to get back to Disney, and the first thing we start is catching up on the podcasts, boards and ‘what’s changed’ (um… everything!??) - and as someone who is coming back and remember how amazing the podcasts were, I hate to give this feedback but please note, it’s trying to be constructive!

I’m feeling like the majority of the team are seeming slightly jaded. I’m not jealous of the fact you can pay for your trips because of your work, my husband pays for mine too. I used to love the fact you would never review on a comp or discounted event. I feel like there are some team members that are missing the point and the joy in the parks? You guys honestly have no idea how good you have it and how lucky you are to be there! 10 hours to Hawaii? Try 22 from Australian with a stop over. The back end of the company is going through turmoil? Most companies in the world are worse!! They just aren’t on display or talked about to the extent of Disney. The cancel culture is so strong around the world! It’s absolutely ridiculous.
For me, I just want to go to the happiest place on earth to check out and enjoy my first vacation in over 2 yearI love the little things, the trash cans, the smells, the foods, the magic. And I’m sorry but I feel like the majority of team has lost that spark and love.
Were we listening to the same podcast? I just listened to the entirety of the March 22 podcast on Youtube and I don't hear the negativity you're referring to. What I heard was a well-balanced set of opinions from Pete. Whether you agree with Pete's politics or not - Pete prefaced them with humility to the effect that people don't come to Dis for political discussions - I agree with Pete that how Disney handles politics is another matter, because it bears on the leadership of the company and the pattern of PR blunders Disney has made over the last year.

Pete did not dwell solely on the negative. This part of the podcast says it all: "... while there are things that they do wrong, and we will never shy away from talking about it, there are so many things they do right." That is the tone I'm looking for as a DIS user. I want to see balls and strikes called fairly and factually so our family can make the best decisions possible about our next trip.

I too at times have felt that some of the DIS podcasts have felt more negative toward the parks experience than in the past. Previously, it had felt like constructive criticism. I have visited multiple times before and during covid, and with Genie+. I have not felt the same negativity that many on the boards and the DIS have felt. If the podcast or the boards bother me, then it's up to me to not listen or read or to not let it bother me. People are allowed to express different viewpoints from mine. It doesn't make me dislike the team any. I still like them, especially the ones that I have met. They are just in a different place right now about the parks than I am. I also understand that I am very fortunate to not be negatively impacted by the price increases; whereas, many people have been impacted. I think people are still sensitive and raw after the past 2 years, which is completely understandable.

I want to clarify. I had not listened to last Tuesday's podcast until today. I was thinking more of past podcasts and discussions about the park experience. I don't feel this podcast was negative. Well, OK, it was negative, but for a good reason. I completely agree with the team about everything they said, including the Florida law and the marching band. I am glad that they spoke out. I don't mind constructive criticism or even the occasional complaint. I personally can tend toward the negative, so I have to watch myself if I am listening to a lot of podcasts or reading a lot of posts that I feel are negative and are not necessarily what I completely agree with. That's my baggage, and I choose to make it as lightweight as possible. I am glad that Pete said he was trying to find the positive, and I know that he won't stop making legitimate complaints either. I also think that it is their podcast. They should have the freedom to say what they want. It doesn't mean that I or anyone else has to like it. We can always stop listening. I don't plan to stop listening though.

There were some impassioned conversations on the DIS about Australia's approach and IRL we talked about it. I highly sympathize with that restriction but I do think in fairness the OP is coming from their own experience and expecting it to be the same here. Many of us had different restrictions in place they were just different. From our viewpoint we can't help that your government was able to do that which ours can't.

To the criticisms I agree with DLgal's conversation about the Podcast not being inaccurate on the vibes of Disney these days but I can also understand how that exhaustive feeling of negativity weighs on someone's outlook. That last point transcends nationality.

One thing to keep in mind and this goes towards more than just the Podcasters people who frequent the parks a lot and for those who are vloggers and Podcasters deal with Disney all the time. You know how you work for a company or shop at a store all the time and then you just notice over time things downhill? I see it more like that. The observations are likely going to be more negative or perhaps nitpicky at times for that reason. Someone who is going in with fresh eyes might feel entirely different way. But neither viewpoint is in the wrong.

10 hours to Hawaii? Try 22 from Australian with a stop over.

G'day Tahlzy,

Just wanted to clear one of the things in your post up - HNL is pretty much halfway between the east coast of Australia and Orlando, Just under 10 hours direct from Sydney or Melbourne on Jetstar, Qantas or Hawaiian Airlines, and a return trip costs between $1000-1900 AUD ($750-1450 USD) in economy/coach dependant on carrier and day of the week. If you want to splurge you can do Jetstar Business for about $1500 AUD ($1125 USD) each way.

The thing I have always loved about the podcast is that the crew have always called it as they have seen it - even when it hasn't been in their commercial interest to do that - they have always been to my mind pro-fan/pro-consumer.

That said, and full disclosure, I might just be a jaded Australian who counts a number of the podcast team as close personal friends :)

Reactions: jcb

I might just be a jaded Australian who counts a number of the podcast team as close personal friends
HI Matt. So good to hear from you!

I was about to say much the same thing but from a more local perspective.... I finally listened to the podcast in question and I didn't hear the disheartening comments OP did. Have Craig and Pete "lost that spark and love" for WDW - only they can answer that question (but I doubt it). To me, I heard concerns for the WDW as we knew and loved it (even with its faults) and the entire cast's concern that those days may be gone forever. To me that is the opposite of giving up. If no one says "this isn't right," then nothing will change.

Yikes. I get the complete opposite vibe. I appreciate their candor and honesty. If I'm planning a trip to DW and I'm listening to podcasts for information, then I want the whole truth. The magic is there and I know that...but I want to know what's REALLY happening and from folks who are there ALL the time. These people truly love DW and I think it's evident when listening to them. They're just telling us as Paul Harvey used to say, "The rest of the story.":flower1:

Last edited:
Hey
As someone from Australia, I find it quite disheartening to listen to the criticism and complaining about everything?
I used to watch and listen religiously, even met Ryno and Pete in Disneyland years ago. I have done all the parks but France and a Disney cruise. I read Disney history and a lot of back stage, behind the scenes info, etc. I’m not just a casual Disney fan.

We have just had our borders opened in Australia after being unable to travel for 2 years. We are just so excited to get back to Disney, and the first thing we start is catching up on the podcasts, boards and ‘what’s changed’ (um… everything!??) - and as someone who is coming back and remember how amazing the podcasts were, I hate to give this feedback but please note, it’s trying to be constructive!

I’m feeling like the majority of the team are seeming slightly jaded. I’m not jealous of the fact you can pay for your trips because of your work, my husband pays for mine too. I used to love the fact you would never review on a comp or discounted event. I feel like there are some team members that are missing the point and the joy in the parks? You guys honestly have no idea how good you have it and how lucky you are to be there! 10 hours to Hawaii? Try 22 from Australian with a stop over. The back end of the company is going through turmoil? Most companies in the world are worse!! They just aren’t on display or talked about to the extent of Disney. The cancel culture is so strong around the world! It’s absolutely ridiculous.
For me, I just want to go to the happiest place on earth to check out and enjoy my first vacation in over 2 yearI love the little things, the trash cans, the smells, the foods, the magic. And I’m sorry but I feel like the majority of team has lost that spark and love.
I understand you all don't want to hear anything negative, but they're only telling the truth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter